College Football #2

if you actually watched the auburn/fla game, you wouldn't be calling OSU/michigan a closer loss...other than that, fine argument.i'm not arguing that michigan isn't the #2 team in the nation, i'm not arguing that they are. if anything, it's #2 and #2A. i already said, by all means, that michigan got screwed. until there's a playoff, every year that there aren't 2 unbeatens from major conferences playing major schedules, SOMEONE is going to get screwed. it's just insulting to hear that fla is going to get thumped by ohio state, that we pose no chance, etc etc. like i said, you'd think big 10 fans would remember the last time a team was that totally dismissed going into the national championship game.
This right here is the one thing that I am most angry about here. Most Michigan fans are adamant that we were the #2 team in the nation and therefore should be playing Ohio State for the National Championship. Most Florida fans seem to be more critical of the system rather than why they should be #2 in the nation. I guess it's the Big 10's fault for not having a 12th team, therefore having Michigan and OSU meet in the championship game, Michigan win, and then have them play a third time.
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This right here is the one thing that I am most angry about here. Most Michigan fans are adamant that we were the #2 team in the nation and therefore should be playing Ohio State for the National Championship. Most Florida fans seem to be more critical of the system rather than why they should be #2 in the nation. I guess it's the Big 10's fault for not having a 12th team, therefore having Michigan and OSU meet in the championship game, Michigan win, and then have them play a third time.
i don't understand how it's possible to be adamant that you're the #2 team in the country when it's impossible to prove it on-field against other top-tier opponents. for all we know, boise could come in and blow both of our teams out of the water. if ANY team has a true gripe that they're #1/#2, it's boise state. they did everything they could to schedule tougher opponents, stomped oregon state, beat hawaii, and they were never even in the discussion despite running the table. my biggest beef with all of this is how adamant michigan fans are that florida stands zero chance on a neutral field, etc etc. that's what the game will be played for. we'll see, on-field, if the best of the SEC can hang with the best of the big 10. if the tides were turned and michigan made it, you wouldn't hear a single florida fan say how michigan can't hang, how they're going to get blown out, how much of a joke the team is because they barely beat ball state, etc. why not wait until after the game to start dogging a team that has found a way to win 12 games this year?
i don't understand how it's possible to be adamant that you're the #2 team in the country when it's impossible to prove it on-field against other top-tier opponents. for all we know, boise could come in and blow both of our teams out of the water. if ANY team has a true gripe that they're #1/#2, it's boise state. they did everything they could to schedule tougher opponents, stomped oregon state, beat hawaii, and they were never even in the discussion despite running the table. my biggest beef with all of this is how adamant michigan fans are that florida stands zero chance on a neutral field, etc etc. that's what the game will be played for. we'll see, on-field, if the best of the SEC can hang with the best of the big 10. if the tides were turned and michigan made it, you wouldn't hear a single florida fan say how michigan can't hang, how they're going to get blown out, how much of a joke the team is because they barely beat ball state, etc. why not wait until after the game to start dogging a team that has found a way to win 12 games this year?
I think the biggest thing that will surprise Florida is the amazing speed, accuracy, and complexity of Ohio State's offense. Florida hasn't played a team with close to that type of a passing game, and I think that's where Ohio State will win the game.I'm still unsure of who to root for in this one. I have to hate Ohio State, but I now hate Florida. Unlike in other years, there really is no chance of a split title for Michigan unless each team turns the ball over 8 times and Michigan beats USC by 100.
I think the biggest thing that will surprise Florida is the amazing speed, accuracy, and complexity of Ohio State's offense. Florida hasn't played a team with close to that type of a passing game, and I think that's where Ohio State will win the game.I'm still unsure of who to root for in this one. I have to hate Ohio State, but I now hate Florida. Unlike in other years, there really is no chance of a split title for Michigan unless each team turns the ball over 8 times and Michigan beats USC by 100.
that's another thing i'm not getting...why the hatred for florida over this? they're not the ones that voted in the coaches and harris polls. i can't even fathom how anybody could root for their biggest rival in the national championship game...god knows that if FSU or georgia are ever undefeated and a one loss michigan gets the nod over one loss florida, i'm bleeding maize and blue for a month and a half.we'll see about the complexity of the offense, but OSU also hasn't played anyone with the defense of FLA, so i seriously believe, win or lose, it'll be a hell of a game.
that's another thing i'm not getting...why the hatred for florida over this? they're not the ones that voted in the coaches and harris polls. i can't even fathom how anybody could root for their biggest rival in the national championship game...god knows that if FSU or georgia are ever undefeated and a one loss michigan gets the nod over one loss florida, i'm bleeding maize and blue for a month and a half.we'll see about the complexity of the offense, but OSU also hasn't played anyone with the defense of FLA, so i seriously believe, win or lose, it'll be a hell of a game.
Well, I hear those Michigan Wolverines had a pretty good defense against all of their competition, and look what OSU's offense did to them.

Michigan is the second best team in the nation. And how do they stay ranked above florida for three weeks before falling behind them. Not real sure how this happened other than the people voting didnt want a rematch and didnt want the sec criing about getting screwed the second time. Im gonna go out on a limb and say that Ohio State will win by at least 14 points, maybe more. Depending on how many times florida turns the ball over.

Michigan is the second best team in the nation. And how do they stay ranked above florida for three weeks before falling behind them. Not real sure how this happened other than the people voting didnt want a rematch and didnt want the sec criing about getting screwed the second time. Im gonna go out on a limb and say that Ohio State will win by at least 14 points, maybe more. Depending on how many times florida turns the ball over.
Yea, I'm tired enough of the BCS I wont be watching any of the BCS bowl games. As far as I'm concerned, the title game was played in Ohio a few weeks ago.
Yea, I'm tired enough of the BCS I wont be watching any of the BCS bowl games. As far as I'm concerned, the title game was played in Ohio a few weeks ago.
i agree that that bowling green/miami (oh) mud game was one of the most entertaining games i've ever seen, but i'm still not quite ready to crown miami national champions. :club:

Article written by Mitch Albom (an excellent sports writer), pretty much sums up the whole thing.

Published: December 04. 2006 3:00AMWolverinesMITCH ALBOM: U-M wronged by BCS votersDecember 4, 2006BY MITCH ALBOMFREE PRESS COLUMNISTWell at least, after all the games, the rankings, the computers, the controversy, at least the college football world finally reached a conclusion:The system stinks.That's the only conclusion we can agree upon. All else is chaos. Did Michigan get jobbed? Sure it did. There is no way, in a logical world, that a big time, second-ranked team, whose only loss is by three points to the top-ranked team, should fall behind anyone with at least one defeat in a poll. Anyone. Southern Cal. Florida. Anyone.Instead, it happened twice in the past two weeks. First, USC beat Notre Dame, and a wave of hype, forced logic and selective memory made voters forget that USC struggled often this season and blew a game to mediocre Oregon State -- and instead they leapfrogged USC over Michigan for the No. 2 spot. The USC Trojans are the strongest contender! Look at them!Then, over the weekend, USC was exposed, losing to unranked UCLA, and, oops, guess the hype was wrong. So instead of restoring No. 3 Michigan to where it belonged, a new wave of hype, forced logic and selective memory made voters leapfrog the Florida Gators over the Wolverines and into the national championship game next month. Hey, they're the strongest contender! Just look at them!You can spin this thing any way you want. It was strictly about fresh versus familiar. In the end, Ohio State will play Florida on Jan. 8 in Glendale, Ariz., because people with votes want to see that game more than they want to see a rematch of Michigan-Ohio State. This was all about the line of thinking that says: "Give someone else a chance."But if the system were about giving everyone a chance, they wouldn't call it a poll, they'd call it a donkey ride.So much babbling.Which is not to say there hasn't been some donkey-like behavior. Consider Urban Meyer, the braying coach of the Gators. When asked by ESPN about Michigan on Saturday night, Meyer said: "They had their shot."Thank you, Judge.Meyer is not only rude, he's confused. Nowhere in the Bowl Championship Series system is "having their shot" supposed to determine anything. The system is supposed to rank teams, not manipulate them. It's supposed to set up a national championship game, not cast it.Ask yourself this question: If we were in the fifth week of the season, and Michigan and Ohio State had played their game and were idle -- do you think Florida would have jumped up two spots to wedge between them by beating eighth-ranked Arkansas?I don't.In the final BCS tally, Michigan and Florida tied in the computer rankings, but the Gators finished No. 2 because they passed the Wolverines in the USA Today coaches and Harris Interactive polls. How did they pass 'em? Because numerous voters flip-flopped.The truth is, Meyer is wrong. Michigan didn't have its shot. Not at a national championship game -- which is all the BCS is supposed to determine. And now it won't get its shot. Why? Because Florida is somehow a superior choice since it doesn't play in the same conference as Ohio State?Meyer acts as if the SEC is Broadway and all the other conferences are summer stock. He talks as if you have to survive germ-warfare to win an SEC game (conveniently excusing his close scores against some lesser teams) while suggesting that other conference champs should be blowing out their opponents.Hey, if Ohio State is as great as everyone says it is, and most of its victories are against the same Big Ten teams Michigan faces, why does it work FOR the Buckeyes and against the Wolverines?That's fair?"Florida belongs," Meyer told reporters Saturday night. "The other team had a shot. We went 12-1, and I think the country wants to see the Southeastern Conference champion against the Big Ten champion."Well, it's nice to have Lord Meyer tell us what we want to see. Apparently "the country," in his view, doesn't include huge parts of the Midwest. His first name may be Urban, but it should be Parochial.Yes, people can say the same thing about Michigan fans. And in Florida they probably are.Before Sunday night, the Gators were No. 2 once before -- in the poll of Oct. 8 -- and they promptly lost. The Wolverines were No. 2 for almost a month.Michigan, having not touched a football in two weeks, has to wonder why it was dropped -- while Florida was vaulted. Michigan has to wonder how losing on the road to the only team ranked ahead of it -- and losing by three points -- is somehow less worthy than Florida losing by 10 points to Auburn, a team not even in the final Top 10.Playoff system neededAnd with that, another rankings mess mars a college football season. Michigan's Lloyd Carr, who was far more graceful than Meyer, optimistically called it, on his TV show, "a great controversy."But controversies are rarely great. And college kids are supposed to study math, not be victimized by it. Yes, the Wolverines will go to a Rose Bowl and there is nothing bad about that. But there is a reason sports that determine things by voting -- figure skating, gymnastics -- continually result in anger, bitterness and missed chances.And it is why this system remains a joke, while the obvious solution keeps getting ignored.I'll say it again. Add two games. Both on the same day. A four-team playoff. You take the Nos. 1-4 ranked teams and let them prove who belongs on the field for the championship.Under that system, this year, Michigan would play Florida. And Meyer actually would have to coach his team past Carr's, instead of trying to do it with his mouth.Such a playoff would only affect four schools each year. It could be done using two existing bowls. As for when do you schedule it? Well, considering the national championship this year is more than seven weeks after Ohio State's last on-field appearance ... I'm guessing they can find some time.But don't hold your breath. It won't happen -- at least not soon. Instead, exhale that sigh that has been sighed for so many years in so many places since rankings were used in lieu of actual on-field battles. It was a popularity contest, in the end, what people wanted to see. And the new, exciting orange beat the same old maize and blue.And if you're wondering what that has to do with football, you are not alone.

josh, you're kidding, a writer in detroit saying that michigan got jobbed? it can't be!yes albom is a great writer, but he's also biased. he writes that article leaning the other way, he gets crucified up there.

Jim Walden, a former head coach at Washington State and Iowa State, was the only voter in either college football poll that matters to pick Florida No. 1 Sunday. Why'd he do it? Let the Harris Interactive voter explain: "No. 1, I've been eating Alka-Seltzer every hour since I did it. I spent four years coaching at Miami and if you think I like voting for that damn team to be No. 1, you're crazy. They are the least liked team out there. I can't stand them. "But when I look at it and when you look at who should be No. 1, look at their schedule they are the best team. Hell, I don't care about the No. 2 team. Everybody is talking about Michigan and Florida as the No. 2. I looked at it and then looked at Ohio State and said, 'Wait a minute, Florida is the best team. How can we even be debating Florida and Michigan? Michigan was the No. 2 team in a three-team conference.' "Even though the SEC is full of people with inflated egos and they constantly think they are getting screwed over, Florida deserves to be the No. 1 team. Ohio State is one of the weakest No. 1 teams in 25 years. Look at who they played. They played one of the softest schedules of any No. 1 team in memory. They had all summer to get ready for Texas. Then they had 11 weeks to get ready for Michigan.

I know this is going to go on for at least a week, but are there any USC or Ohio State fans here? Any other perspectives?
Hi.I honestly believe Michigan is the #2 team in the country, but like everyone says, it really doesn't matter because any way you look at it, someone gets screwed. Florida's loss was controversial, but nevertheless a loss. Michigan's loss to the number one team on the road is a "better" loss.Florida played a tougher schedule, but no one would be able to argue this if they hadn't blown out that D-1 AA school. (Can't think of the name.)Call me a Big 10 homer, but I think that Michigan is #2 (and I'm kinda glad we don't have to play them again.)I know I'm gonna get flack for saying the last thing.
Florida played a tougher schedule, but no one would be able to argue this if they hadn't blown out that D-1 AA school. (Can't think of the name.)
not quite sure what you mean by this...shouldn't it also be saying something that we have the toughest schedule in the nation despite having that massive cupcake there? also, it shouldn't be our fault that we couldn't find a D-1A school like ball state to run the score up on.....oh wait.....
josh, you're kidding, a writer in detroit saying that michigan got jobbed? it can't be!yes albom is a great writer, but he's also biased. he writes that article leaning the other way, he gets crucified up there.
Doesn't matter where he is from if he is right.
Jim Walden, a former head coach at Washington State and Iowa State
That right there tells me all I need to know, he's a moron.

I dont feel like laying out in exhaustive detail why Florida was the right choice. I think this column was one of the better ones I read lately, and I agree with almost all of his main points.http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Ap...i&type=lgns"Stewart, do you feel Michigan got the shaft? --Lalo Gonzalez, San Benito, TexasI really don't. Of all the teams over the years that felt they were unfairly excluded from the title game -- Miami in 2000, Oregon in '01, USC in '03, Auburn in '04 and Michigan in '06 -- the Wolverines had the least compelling argument. In the '00, '01 and '03 cases, the affected teams were clearly wronged. The 'Canes had beaten the team that went ahead of them (Florida State). The Ducks were left out at the expense of a team that lost its last game 62-36 (Nebraska) and the Trojans were the No. 1 team in both major polls. In '04, Auburn wasn't necessarily "wronged" any more or less than USC or Oklahoma would have been had it finished No. 3, but it's still hard not to sympathize with an undefeated, major-conference champion that didn't get to play for the national title.The crux of Michigan's argument was "We played No. 1 close the first time." Not exactly a cause for empathy. The only thing I feel bad about regarding the Wolverines is that they were treated differently in the polls than nearly any other team before them and therefore have reason to be puzzled. But like I said on Sunday night, I happen to think the voters' change in philosophy this year was a good thing. Whether or not you agree with their choice of Florida, at least it was based on something substantive (an SEC championship, tougher schedule, etc.) rather than the age-old tradition of only moving a team up when someone above them loses. As an AP pollster, I can tell you that when you're voting from week to week during the regular season, you're not thinking too much about the bigger picture, you're primarily reacting to what happened that weekend. As long as we have this championship game, I don't see how it's a bad thing for voters to actually stop and think about each team's overall season before casting that final regular-season ballot."My quick response to the Albom article- First of all, quit whining. This is football, not figure skating. I love how Albom forgets to point out that Michigan might have been the first team in history to lose in the regular season and not drop. The main purpose of the BCS title game is to determine the number 1 team, not necessarily the #2. Anyone who watched the OSU/Michigan game knows that Michigan clearly was not the #1 team. But Florida has almost no points of comparison to Michigan or Ohio State this year. For all we know Florida might be the actual best team. Remember that Ohio State played a really weak schedule. The top teams from the SEC and Big10 not only didnt play each other, but have almost no common opponents. Unless you can unequivocably say that Michigan is better than Florida, you have to give Florida the chance to prove they are #1. Given the strength of schedule of Florida, I dont think there is any way you can clearly say Michigan is better. Therefore, Florida is the better choice.

I dont feel like laying out in exhaustive detail why Florida was the right choice. I think this column was one of the better ones I read lately, and I agree with almost all of his main points.
You also swore up and down that USC was better than everyone and they put up a second loss against an unranked team.The we played #1 close argument is not Michigan's only case, if thats what the reporter read he is clearly a idiot as even Florida fans are in here saying that Michigan got jobbed.The tougher schedule, its not like Michigan played the 30th hardest schedule in the country, it was 3rd. Michigan wouldn't lose to Auburn, I guarantee you that.
The main purpose of the BCS title game is to determine the number 1 team, not necessarily the #2.
You are wrong. The game is supposed to put the two best teams in the country against each other. There is no rule they can't be from the same conference, and why should there be. If the best two teams were USC and Cal, then they can play as far as I'm concerned. If it was Auburn and Alabama, let them do it on the field..."for all we know, Florida might be the best team"Ok, why couldn't they beat a two loss Auburn team? Did you ever watch either team play? I've seen all but two of Michigan's games and I've seen 4 of Florida's. While Florida was getting lucky to beat very average teams in the 4th quarter like SC, Michigan was in firm control of every single game. they dominated their opponents (3rd hardest schedule in nation). I don't even think Florida is the best team in the SEC today, I'd take LSU vs them right now on a neutral field, they have been playing better than any team in the SEC for the last month.

damn it tom. tickets go on sale....not sure if i should buy one bc airfare is like $400 round trip and none of my friends are goingtickets go on sale @ 6PMthey have 1200 tickets for 40k students and 16,000 for boosters bc they pay lots of money for tickets....gay.....but yeah idk what to dothe tickets are $175 which i think is a bargain

QUOTE(Jadaki @ Monday, December 4th, 2006, 12:23 PM) Put it this way...If USC had won and stayed #2, Florida would not have jumped Michigan in the polls. The only reason they did was to create a special matchup, end of story.
3rd
Jim Walden, a former head coach at Washington State and Iowa State, was the only voter in either college football poll that matters to pick Florida No. 1 Sunday. Why'd he do it? Let the Harris Interactive voter explain: "No. 1, I've been eating Alka-Seltzer every hour since I did it. I spent four years coaching at Miami and if you think I like voting for that damn team to be No. 1, you're crazy. They are the least liked team out there. I can't stand them. "But when I look at it and when you look at who should be No. 1, look at their schedule they are the best team. Hell, I don't care about the No. 2 team. Everybody is talking about Michigan and Florida as the No. 2. I looked at it and then looked at Ohio State and said, 'Wait a minute, Florida is the best team. How can we even be debating Florida and Michigan? Michigan was the No. 2 team in a three-team conference.' "Even though the SEC is full of people with inflated egos and they constantly think they are getting screwed over, Florida deserves to be the No. 1 team. Ohio State is one of the weakest No. 1 teams in 25 years. Look at who they played. They played one of the softest schedules of any No. 1 team in memory. They had all summer to get ready for Texas. Then they had 11 weeks to get ready for Michigan.
This guy is a complete idiot.
of course he is...since going against popular opinion = being an idiot :club:
There's a difference between going against popular opinion and being an idiot. Anybody who says that Ohio State is not the #1 team obviously has something wrong with them.

well Florida better win bc as of right now i dont have tickets1200 freakin student tickets for 40k studentsyeah so ill be here @ school and they better win so theres partys and **** if not this campus wiill be depressed for a good week ill say