i recently visited a cardroom that had a really soft 1-2 nl game.......although i like the game i don't know if i like the structure of the rake.....it is 4 dollars per person every half hour......the dealer collects 4 dollars from each person at the table every half hour....is this worse than a rake from each pot, and is it even worth playing in this game, even it is good.

i recently visited a cardroom that had a really soft 1-2 nl game.......although i like the game i don't know if i like the structure of the rake.....it is 4 dollars per person every half hour......the dealer collects 4 dollars from each person at the table every half hour....is this worse than a rake from each pot, and is it even worth playing in this game, even it is good.
its called a time fee, and its generally much better for the players than a rake.

you do the math. If in half hour they deal 15 hands, that's 15*3= $45. If they take $4 for each person, that's 4*9= $36, sounds like a good deal. I guess they break even point will be as long as they deal 12 or more hands in that half hour span.

If you play as low as 3-6, the rake is usually 10% up to 3 or 4 dollars per hand. I think I'd rather just pay the 8 bucks an hour. Although I guess it depends on if your winning alot of pots or not.

you need to think of the rake, as others have pointed out, as money coming out of your stack. thats why a rake is so ingenious, it makes it seem as if nothing is ever being taken from you. get pokertracker, even the free demo, and play 1000 hands online. the amount of rake you personally will have paid will astound you.

My take on the rake (ha that was funny) is that it affects you less if you are a tight player and more if you are a loose player.I do not play a lot of pots. I can sometimes go a full hour without getting into a major or even semi-major pot. A time rake hurts me more than it does someone who limps into a lot of pots or is playing a lot of pots.Agree or disagree?