Extremely Tight Sngs

Actuary made this post and it got me to thinking:

are you all seeing this. We've had 20/40, 30/60, 50/100 blind levels and only 2 players are gone. That is what is happening now on PP STT's. At least the 20's and 30's.
I have noticed this on Full Tilt too, especially at night (even as low as the 10 dollar ones). I generally play a tight aggressive game, especially in SNGs because of the structures. I'm pretty good at any form of endgame SNG concept, especially if I have a big stack :club:My question is if you are at a very tight table, one with hardly no action and full of nits, what is the right play to play in the early levels? I understand that you generally want to play the opposite of your opponents, but often enough I either a) play too tight and have to starting open jamming when the blinds get to 200/400 to steal because my stack is so low from the cold deck or B) I try to get super aggressive and get either unlucky in a race or get trapped.

Regardless of the table, in the first stages of any SNG you really should only be playing a tight game, only because the blinds are so small, and not worth picking up the pots that are small in early stages. There almost always is at least a few crazy crack heads that decide to go all in and play too many pots and usually end up getting busted first. I would try to look for those players and exploit them, they are the easiest and they spew chips. It's still about picking spots in the early stages.And you said that the FT sng's are tight? I mustve been playing one with a bunch of crazies then...

Actuary made this post and it got me to thinking:I have noticed this on Full Tilt too, especially at night (even as low as the 10 dollar ones). I generally play a tight aggressive game, especially in SNGs because of the structures. My question is if you are at a very tight table, one with hardly no action and full of nits, what is the right play to play in the early levels? I'm pretty good at any form of endgame SNG concept, especially if I have a big stack :club: I understand that you generally want to play the opposite of your opponents, but often enough I either a) play too tight and have to starting open jamming when the blinds get to 200/400 to steal because my stack is so low from the cold deck or B) I try to get super aggressive and get either unlucky in a race or get trapped.
I was seeing this a year ago on UltimateBet in probably 3/4 stt's I played - from $5 to $20.You're basically at a table of people who have all read the available guides that say play really tight and really aggressive early, get into third, etc, etc.So, I loosen up, raise more pots preflop, so on and so forth...yes, you'll get unlucky...it happens...but you start stealing blinds, you cb and steal pots...if cb's get called, then don't do it...when you get called and/or reraised you know you're against quality hands....the key is, don't do it for too long...do it enough to annoy people, and then change gears quickly.I usually small ball it too - entice them into pots...suddenly they're playing more pots than they anticipated...they're seeing more flops than they anticipated, but they're still playing tight...so you can win a lot of pots with a cb on the flop.Next thing you know, they're in hands against each other after you've bowed out.
Regardless of the table, in the first stages of any SNG you really should only be playing a tight game, only because the blinds are so small, and not worth picking up the pots that are small in early stages.
The original post is asking what you should do when all 10 players are playing this game plan.
And you said that the FT sng's are tight? I mustve been playing one with a bunch of crazies then.
Well me thinks it depends on when you go on, honestly. I've played a 10 dollar SNG at 10pm and not have anyone play a hand unless its a PP or AK/AQ/AJs for an hour. I've also played the crazy ones where we get four handed in the span of 30 minutes. But for the most part, especially later at night - yes, they are getting tighter.
So, I loosen up, raise more pots preflop, so on and so forth
OK, I get that. Any suggestions on hand ranges and preflop raises? I know it depends on the table and what bet they are respecting, but I see a hand like 5s4s and I am now starting to think I should raise this badboy 3.5x's the BB in MP just to take advantage.It's a shame you only flop a straight 1 out of every 100 times lol
The original post is asking what you should do when all 10 players are playing this game plan.
That never happens. There almost always is at least one donkey, epsecially in a $10 sng. Find him, and exploit him. Someone came there to gamble, most wanted to win $$$ and play to move up and grind it out, but there is always one donkey, find him...It's like Where's Waldo."Where's Donkey?" Just have to find him. Smoke him out!
Well me thinks it depends on when you go on, honestly. I've played a 10 dollar SNG at 10pm and not have anyone play a hand unless its a PP or AK/AQ/AJs for an hour. I've also played the crazy ones where we get four handed in the span of 30 minutes. But for the most part, especially later at night - yes, they are getting tighter. OK, I get that. Any suggestions on hand ranges and preflop raises? I know it depends on the table and what bet they are respecting, but I see a hand like 5s4s and I am now starting to think I should raise this badboy 3.5x's the BB in MP just to take advantage.It's a shame you only flop a straight 1 out of every 100 times lol
If I see this extreme tightness I can get to raising any two from button or CO or CO-1....I'm still very tight the first, say, 3 positions...as I know the chances of a big hand behind me are greater, and, most importantly here, I want to play every pot in position. And, no, JMoney, it is happening more and more where you find a table of 9 opponents where all of them are playing "extremely tight until 2 or 3 people bust out"...yes, it's easy to smoke out the donkeys when they're present, but more and more people are playing basic sit'n'go theory, and you need to know how to adjust accordingly, because even if there is one donkey:a. everyone else is seeing him toob. that still leaves 8 opponents.
because even if there is one donkey
You want to get into the pot because he thinks he is DN where in fact he's more like Timmy from South Park.I think it's just an advantage of seeing a flop with any two cards because you need to get those "easy" chips before anyone else does`.
You want to get into the pot because he thinks he is DN where in fact he's more like Timmy from South Park.I think it's just an advantage of seeing a flop with any two cards because you need to get those "easy" chips before anyone else does`.
No.No advantage in risking your stack for such a small amount of chips. When blinds are starting off at 20/40 and you have a 2000 stack... a raise of 3XBB would be 120. 10% of 2000 is 200. So you are getting a 6% stack increase with a raise, a call and winning the pot. When blinds get to be 50/100 and a raise is put in for 3XBB=300. Now that is 15% of your 2000. And all you had to do was wait a few rounds. Blinds aren't worth it in early stages.And the chips aren't "easy" to get because if you keep playing a more LAG style you will be the one giving them back as well, since you want to play more hands in an early stage of SNG;s.

Oh, I wouldn't raise for the blinds (although I wouldn't mind taking them). I'm raising to isolate the donkey and to build a pot where I can outplay him on prospective streets.

with tight players, even though suited little cards are great to see cheap flops with;........ against just 2-3 opponents, not so muchI would think you really focus on playing position and steal some pots on the turn. We've been so used to being able to maximize chips with big hands because they can't fold; so now, on a table of people who are all waitng to get to Push/Fold mode and break out the SNGPT's, perhaps this is the time to start making squeeze plays, call to steals, c/r bluffs, and other moves.I need to get over a couple issues though:1. "I'm too good to have to make a risky move in a 10/6 Man SnG."2. "I'll look so foolish if he calls me"I've thought about practicing these moves at the 10's; and if in fact they have a bunch of tities in them too, then maybe I will.

with tight players, even though suited little cards are great to see cheap flops with;........ against just 2-3 opponents, not so muchI would think you really focus on playing position and steal some pots on the turn. WE'vebeen so used to being able to maximize chips with big hands because they can't fold; so now, on a table of people who are all waitng to get to Push/Fold mode and break out the SNGPT's, perhaps this is the time to start making squeeze plays, call to steals, c/r bluffs, and other moves.I need to get over a couple issues though:1. "I'm too good to have to make a risky move in a 10/6 Man SnG."2. "I'll look so foolish if he calls me"I've thought about practicing these moves at the 10's; and if in fact they have a bunch of tities in them too, then maybe I will.
QFTDont try to play more hands, try playing tricky and trying to check raise for small pots, bet turns more aggro, and pick up blinds in smart situations... What actuary said, lol. But don't just try to play more hands because there are "easy chips" to get, lol.