After getting such a large number of replies to my post about dealing, I've decided to share my website with everyone. The blog is called "From the Felt" and will be about my experiance as a dealer in a private card room in New York City.You visit it here: http://fromthefelt.blogspot.comCheck it out and don't forget to blogroll me! :D

That's funny. Ironically, I was at your starting table, and happened to be the maniac player. And even more ironic, I was wondering how many times I rebought because the club didn't use any receipts (9x, I figured 10). So you were able to clear that up for me. Much appreciated. As for you dealing, I'd say you did a fine job. However, if you don't mind a few well intended suggestions:1) Always take your time. Dealing is a lot like public speaking. When you're up doing it, it always feels like you're really rushed. You think more quickly, act more quickly and begin to talk more quickly. A good public speaker is comfortable and confident enough to take his time and think slowly and clearly before he acts. His eloquence is an extension of his calmness. There is nothing wrong with moving a little slower as a dealer if you actions are clear and correct. 2) Always think your right. It may sound arrogant, but a good dealer has to always think he is right. Even if you are unsure, you are the ambassador of the rules to the players at the table. If you act unsure in your decisions and declarations, only confusion can ensue. So when making a decision, make it clearly and confidently. If there is still some disagreement, feel free to call the floor. If the floor over rules your decision, accept that.But in all, I think you had a strong first day, and I'm sure I'll see you there again soon. Until then, good luck in your endeavor, I'm curious to see how it turns out...

mcguff:thanks for the feedback. and thanks for not getting too bent out of shape by my desciption of your play. To your credit, you totally controlled the action at the table (meaning everyone was waiting to see what you did) and seemed to be having a good time.Just out of curiousity, what were you trying to do? throw people off? or just mess around?(on a personal level, i totally agreed with you about the prize pool questions. but, you know, most clubs hate running tourny's and only do it to bring players into the club)Thanks for the suggestions about dealing. I always welcome comments and critiques.

That's funny.  Ironically, I was at your starting table, and happened to be the maniac player.  And even more ironic, I was wondering how many times I rebought because the club didn't use any receipts (9x, I figured 10).  So you were able to clear that up for me.  Much appreciated.  ...
I'm really curious about this. FIrst of all, I'm impressed that you took his blog so well. It's nice you didn't go off on him (not that you should have, but some people would have been assholes about it).From your comments you seem to know what you are talking about. What's the deal with the way you played?

that a FCPer was dealing to another FCPer and didn't even know it. I am also impressed by how well he took the blog. I guess he knows he was playing strangely....I'll be interested to see the answer.

I played the way I did because I intended to win the tournament. As it stood, the tournament was a $2000 freeroll with $20 rebuys. Let's make a simple example of 100 players at 10 tables (10 people per table). Before the tournament begins, all else being equal, let's assume everyone has $20 of equity in the prize pool ($2000/100) and every table has $200 of equity in the prize pool ($2000/10). Additionally, because it is a freeroll let's assume that most people have no intention of rebuying (as was basically the case). I rebought 10x's which added 10 units to my table. My table now has twice the equity of any other table. What I was doing was increasing my table's equity in the tournament. While it would be great to add this equity directly into my own stack, I could not (to rebuy you had to lose all your chips). So the next best approach was to dump all my chips to the table, start over, and try to earn the extra equity back. My approach was to go all in with any reasonable hand preflop. If I hit and doubled up, great, but if not, I would add more equity to the table. My approach basically guaranteed 2 things. First, the chip leader at my table would be the chip leader of the entire tournament. Second, my table would be least affected by any increase in the blinds (we have more chips than any other table). My hope was that after the rebuys stopped, I could outplay my table and be the chip leader at the table with the most chips (not a bad position to be in). My earlier crazy/maniac approach would be remembered, and I could use that image to my advantage.

I played the way I did because I intended to win the tournament.  As it stood, the tournament was a $2000 freeroll with $20 rebuys.  Let's make a simple example of 100 players at 10 tables (10 people per table).  Before the tournament begins, all else being equal, let's assume everyone has $20 of equity in the prize pool ($2000/100) and every table has $200 of equity in the prize pool ($2000/10).  Additionally, because it is a freeroll let's assume that most people have no intention of rebuying (as was basically the case).    I rebought 10x's which added 10 units to my table.  My table now has twice the equity of any other table.  What I was doing was increasing my table's equity in the tournament.  While it would be great to add this equity directly into my own stack, I could not (to rebuy you had to lose all your chips).  So the next best approach was to dump all my chips to the table, start over, and try to earn the extra equity back.  My approach was to go all in with any reasonable hand preflop.  If I hit and doubled up, great, but if not, I would add more equity to the table.  My approach basically guaranteed 2 things.  First, the chip leader at my table would be the chip leader of the entire tournament.  Second, my table would be least affected by any increase in the blinds (we have more chips than any other table).   My hope was that after the rebuys stopped, I could outplay my table and be the chip leader at the table with the most chips (not a bad position to be in).  My earlier crazy/maniac approach would be remembered, and I could use that image to my advantage.
Hence Daniel being a rebuy junkie rebuying as much as 20-30 times in rebuy tourneys.

I was wondering if something like this happening. Very interesting. Jeff (the guy I knew at the table) picked up on this, right? You two had a private conversation at some point, right? You were whispering and he smiled. He got some of the chips you were tossing around....So, I guess the strategy was sound, if you can afford it. Hm. Very interesting. I just can't blow $200 on a freeroll or a field that large.

That's an interesting theory. What about the problem that if you buy in 10 times during the rebuy period you are way short stacked on your table? You are basically paying $200 to be a longshot to win $2000, based on the field size and the fact that at the end of the rebuy period you are way down.I'm not knocking your idea, I'm just curious.

It has a lot to do with timing. You have to be very aware where you stand in terms of chips as the rebuy period is winding down. If you are constantly going all in preflop, it's basically a reverse parlay... You will eventually hit. When you hit, you have to judge whenever you have enough chips to make a run for it when the rebuys end. This is a function of how you fare vs. the other stacks at the table and how much time you have left to rebuild if you continue to play ultra-agressively and are busted. If you figure yourself to be looking good with little time left, you have to hit the brakes hard. The table won't realize it, and you'll have reverted to playing only quality hands and still getting the action of the loose wild player. If you figure you still don't have enough chips to make a run and the blind period is getting close, you have to continue to keep dumping. As it is, most tournaments allow a top-up if you are below your starting stack level. So the worst position to be in is to have a few chips over your starting stack at the end of the rebuy period. Then you cannot rebuy, and will have less than if you had just a few chips short of your starting stack at the same time and you rebought. So push push push until the rebuys end, and then top up. And then you bring your A game..

how did it work for you?I personally consider the freerolls to be precursors to cash games. The investment in time is worth it if I get lucky and am in a strong position mid-game and a decent chance to cash well. But, usually I like to play flops and make the first ring game.

also, wouldn't the strategy work even better when there are two of you types playing at the table? I remember Daniel had one tourney where he rebought an obscene number of times... he did go on to win it though.

The best laid plans... It didn't work out. Nothing interesting to speak of, and was busted not even a round after the rebuys ended. Though I still stand by the strategy. Case in point, in his blog the dealer mentioned that 2 people from my original table made it to the final table. That's 2 from my table out of roughly 20 tables. Goes to show...Otherwise I agree with elkang. The tournaments bring in a lot of action, and attractive side games are more than enough to compensate for a little loose rebuying.

It would suck if they did a table change and moved you to a different table after doing all those rebuys. Not much of a problem in a small tourney but what about big WSOP rebuy tourneys? What is Daniel rebought 27 times only to be moved to a different table? Ouch.