The Best Way To Learn How To Play (online Mostly)?

OK, I am trying not to be a donkey here but I have run into a problem. I have been playing online poker for 2 years now and have probably wasted about $200.00 in that time. I have deposited about $1,000.00 but have cashed out $800.00 of that back so I consider myself *almost* even. I missed the first few months of note taking and cash tracking when I first deposited, but I have bought-in a total of $65,000.00 worth of tournaments. I have spent $65,000.00 (65 thousand dollars) on tournaments in 2 years and have been using that to play low cash games ($0.25/$0.50 - $2.00/$4.00) and low buy in tournies ($5.00-$100.00). I doubt that I could make a living playing online poker, as many many people say they do. But to tell you the truth, I would really love it if I could just profit even a few hundred $$ a week and I think I am on that bubble I just need a push in the right direction.I've read a few books, I watch live poker, I watch final tables in online poker, I read online information constantly, I hang out at forums, I play about 2 or 3 hours a day.The problem I have is this: I am just not learning anything anymore.Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying I know everything, if fact I would say I know less than I should and that's why I can't seem to make money at this.So please, I would appreciate anyone who has some good ideas on how to actually LEARN something. How can I retain something valuable and apply it to my game? I am really stuck. Greetings,

We'll I'm not really one to give advice cause I haven't been playing long online ><, but have you tried going through and reading your hand histories? Yes it can be very boring but I've been trying this and it improved my game dramticly.

You are a break even (+-) player, a lot of guys make it to that point and stall.So what now?Online, rakeback would have put you in the +ve $s, so get it.You also have to look at your game, some pokertracker stats is a good place to start then find holes in you game.Talk and post more about hands.What books have you read, HOH 1,2 & 3?Try playing something other then hold'em for a while, it will help you think about poker in new ways that in the end will help your hold'em game.

OK, I am trying not to be a donkey here but I have run into a problem. I have been playing online poker for 2 years now and have probably wasted about $200.00 in that time. I have deposited about $1,000.00 but have cashed out $800.00 of that back so I consider myself *almost* even. I missed the first few months of note taking and cash tracking when I first deposited, but I have bought-in a total of $65,000.00 worth of tournaments. I have spent $65,000.00 (65 thousand dollars) on tournaments in 2 years and have been using that to play low cash games ($0.25/$0.50 - $2.00/$4.00) and low buy in tournies ($5.00-$100.00). ,
I dont quite understand the $65k. Are you saying that from a $1,000 deposit you were able to enter tournaments with a total of 65k buyins plus some cash games (I assume those are limit games), and are only down $200?Of is the "65k worth of tournaments" the total prize pool of the tournaments you entered, which is really an irrelevant fact, since that could be one 50,000 guaranteed tourney that went over, or it could be 3600 $20/180 SnGs.My thoughts, in addition to those of the other posts, depend on what you mean by the 65k.As far as posting hands goes,the tourney forum will be better for you if thats what you play.
You are a break even (+-) player, a lot of guys make it to that point and stall.So what now?Online, rakeback would have put you in the +ve $s, so get it.You also have to look at your game, some pokertracker stats is a good place to start then find holes in you game.Talk and post more about hands.What books have you read, HOH 1,2 & 3?Try playing something other then hold'em for a while, it will help you think about poker in new ways that in the end will help your hold'em game.
You are right actually, the rakebacks put me in the + but I use them mainly for buying things like a hat, keychain, moneyclip.. that sort of thing. I've read:-Super system(s) by Doyle Brunson.-Championship Tournament Poker by Tom McEvoy.-Hold 'Em Poker by David Sklansky.-Countless articles onlinePokertracking is an interesting concept. With the amount of histories I have (and friends) I could do some serious tracking.. Perhaps this needs a separate thread.. but I have some programming skills, I just need to know what things to look for.I usually don't make threads about bad beats and hands etc.. but I do read alot about them. I just can't stand the idiots who insist that you are a donkey and made a bad play.. I guess that's my problem though, sifting through the Diss is not my strength.
I dont quite understand the $65k. Are you saying that from a $1,000 deposit you were able to enter tournaments with a total of 65k buyins plus some cash games (I assume those are limit games), and are only down $200?
Basically I have an excel file I use and I enter ever game/table I play. A $35.00 tourny counts as a $35.00 buy-in. If I enter a $1.00/$2.00 NL table with $200.00 and leave with $150.00 I count that as a $50.00 buy-in with 0 profit. If I leave the table with $300.00, I count it as a $100.00 profit...________________________________________________________________hands histories sounds like an avenue I will put some serious thought into...
I've read:-Super system(s) by Doyle Brunson.-Championship Tournament Poker by Tom McEvoy.-Hold 'Em Poker by David Sklansky.-Countless articles online
If you want to be a succesfull tournament player, my advice is to read:Harrington on Hold'Em 1, 2, and 3.- Zach

Just a thought, but perhaps you need to step down in limits?All of my advice is regarding tournaments, as I just don't like playing cash games...I play mostly on Party, and while you can often be put on tilt in the $10 MTT's by some of the bad play, overall, it's earned me a few bucks (lately the 5-table SnG's). I deposited $50 on Party last October when I started playing, and I've never been down more than that.But... If you're used to playing $50 MTT's, it's hard to level down. Making $17 by barely sliding into the money can just seem pointless after 3 hours of play. Nevertheless, perhaps that's your best route. You may surprise yourself, make a final table and win a couple thousand.It's really hard to offer advice without knowing anything at all about your play. Maybe you're too conservative? I generally discover that I start losing (or breaking even) when I become overly cautious (yeah, that's a no brainer).

How have you been playing for two years and never read Harrington on Hold em 1 or 2? or 3? slkfja sdagas;jglasjda sa1. Go to Borders2. Buy both books and if your feeling crazy, buy 3.( Its not as good, just a warning)3. Lock yourself in your room and read them both4. Take a bathroom break and have a pop tart5. Reread them both

Basically I have an excel file I use and I enter ever game/table I play. A $35.00 tourny counts as a $35.00 buy-in. If I enter a $1.00/$2.00 NL table with $200.00 and leave with $150.00 I count that as a $50.00 buy-in with 0 profit. If I leave the table with $300.00, I count it as a $100.00 profit...
Wierdest way of tracking ever... why on earth would you sum that up as I have entered 65k worth of tournaments?!?!

study study study your hand histories hands you won: figure out what your opponents range was and could you have extracted more value accordingly. could opponent have been trapping? would he have called bigger bets? what was his read on you? why did he do what he did (check raise, call down, etc.)? is he a mythodical player or is he playing 15 tables like a robot?hands you lost: how important was position? could you have taken him off the hand? could you have gotten away from the hand? were you getting the correct odds based on his range? what was going through his mind? what was his read (if any) on you?the important thing is to not be results oriented when examining HH's. basically put you opponent on a range and figure out all the different scenarios accordingly.^^^-- every once in a while i give out a jewel or two, and everytime i do i regret it for a day. seriously, you will become a monster in no time.

If you want to be a succesfull tournament player, my advice is to read:Harrington on Hold'Em 1, 2, and 3.- Zach
I played with Harrington at the Legends in 2004 for about 8 hours at our tournament table. It was amazing how nobody wanted to get in a hand with him(and thats not just because he plays tight) me included......his books should be a good read.