Running Bad In Tournaments

Ive been running aweful the last month. I havent cashed all month, but have only lost about $500 as a result of playing well in cashgames, my usual weakness.. How would you guys go about aproaching poker from here? It seems like whenever I get something going I loose a 88 vs J6o, my kings run into aces, or I just loose focus and make a bad bluff. What can I do to slow down the bad streak or even turn it around? Take a break from poker? Im usually a much better tourney player, but now that this is happening should i make a larger transition more towards a cash game?
Hey man,I can relate to your situation especially after my performance in a $20,000 guaranteed rebuy last night. It just so happened that everytime I raised with good cards I would get reraised or someone would go all in (and this is early early on when the blinds are still low) so I ended up raising 5x bb with QQ only to be put all in by a guy with KQ, so I called him and the flop came KK9... I end up losing. So I rebuy I get JJ so I raise again... guy goes all in on me another guy calls... and I figure what the heck and I call him, He has AA however I end up getting lucky and hitting a J on the river. So now I have a nice healthy stack (3x average stack) and right away I get KK so I raise 3x bb and then a guy goes all in on me so I call him he has 88, flop comes 967 turn 5, his straight beats my KK.To make the long story short, if you are in tournament play the key is SURVIVAL. This unforunately will mean you might have to lay down some nice starting hands preflop. The right move for me to make with the KK when the guy with close to the same stack size as me raised me all in was to fold. Sure my KK is probably good, but why risk my entire stack that early in the tournament when I already have an above average stack. Not to mention I already rebought at this point and it was successful so I should have waited for the front lines to kill each other off so that I could actually play some cards later on when everyone wasn't in such a panic. I should have just sat back and let the fish take each other out at this point. Instead I became one of the fish and joined in on their game of craps and the dice rolled in the other dudes favour. Would I fold AA if I was put in this position next time I play a big tournament? well it would not be easy to lay it down, but AA is only a pair just like KK and at an early stage in a tournament where I am already ahead 3x average stack, I would definately think hard about laying it down now.For *me* taking a break from poker doesn't work. I am one that has to keep playing and continually try to improve myself. So my suggestion to you is to take it slow in your tournament games. Try as much as possible to play your position and be patient. Only push all in when you have the nuts or you are in trouble (stack < than 10 bb). Just grind it out until you get some confidence back.All IMHO of course,CheersGreg
Hey man,I can relate to your situation especially after my performance in a $20,000 guaranteed rebuy last night. It just so happened that everytime I raised with good cards I would get reraised or someone would go all in (and this is early early on when the blinds are still low) so I ended up raising 5x bb with QQ only to be put all in by a guy with KQ, so I called him and the flop came KK9... I end up losing. So I rebuy I get JJ so I raise again... guy goes all in on me another guy calls... and I figure what the heck and I call him, He has AA however I end up getting lucky and hitting a J on the river. So now I have a nice healthy stack (3x average stack) and right away I get KK so I raise 3x bb and then a guy goes all in on me so I call him he has 88, flop comes 967 turn 5, his straight beats my KK.To make the long story short, if you are in tournament play the key is SURVIVAL. This unforunately will mean you might have to lay down some nice starting hands preflop. The right move for me to make with the KK when the guy with close to the same stack size as me raised me all in was to fold. Sure my KK is probably good, but why risk my entire stack that early in the tournament when I already have an above average stack. Not to mention I already rebought at this point and it was successful so I should have waited for the front lines to kill each other off so that I could actually play some cards later on when everyone wasn't in such a panic. I should have just sat back and let the fish take each other out at this point. Instead I became one of the fish and joined in on their game of craps and the dice rolled in the other dudes favour. Would I fold AA if I was put in this position next time I play a big tournament? well it would not be easy to lay it down, but AA is only a pair just like KK and at an early stage in a tournament where I am already ahead 3x average stack, I would definately think hard about laying it down now.For *me* taking a break from poker doesn't work. I am one that has to keep playing and continually try to improve myself. So my suggestion to you is to take it slow in your tournament games. Try as much as possible to play your position and be patient. Only push all in when you have the nuts or you are in trouble (stack < than 10 bb). Just grind it out until you get some confidence back.All IMHO of course,CheersGreg
Don't post garbage like this again. You cannot win every tournment. Dont think if "gee I folded that AA, that 87 would never have sucked out on me." Horrible reasoning.
Don't post garbage like this again. You cannot win every tournment. Dont think if "gee I folded that AA, that 87 would never have sucked out on me." Horrible reasoning.
Look... like I said winning a tournament is about survival. Will I fold KK PF when I am average chip stack, NO. Will I fold KK PF when I am below average, NO. Will I fold KK PF when I have already made payout, NO.Will I fold KK PF after my 3 bet gets reraised all in by a guy with the same stack size as me when there is still 600 out of 800 entrants still left, well I would have to think about it, do I want to risk my entire stack now? That's all.That's my opinion and I am entitled to it. Cheers,Greg
Look... like I said winning a tournament is about survival. Will I fold KK PF when I am average chip stack, NO. Will I fold KK PF when I am below average, NO. Will I fold KK PF when I have already made payout, NO.Will I fold KK PF after my 3 bet gets reraised all in by a guy with the same stack size as me when there is still 600 out of 800 entrants still left, well I would have to think about it, do I want to risk my entire stack now? That's all.That's my opinion and I am entitled to it. Cheers,Greg
Hahahhaahahhahahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaahhhhahah
Wasn't this taken from HOH? (sw)