don't you love flopping monsters?

as background, i decided to give smash's method to beating the online NL games a try... basically playing super-tight, only raising premium hands pre-flop, and limping with medium/low PP's and Axs, then pushing hard whenever you hit hard.so i sat down at a 5c/10c NL table with $10, and the following hand came up about an hour into it. i'm dealt A :) Q :D in middle position.Ozzk posts small blind 0.05Blitzin posts big blind 0.10TT116 calls for 0.10kahaki calls for 0.10jar1 folds kjello55 calls for 0.10akishore raises for 0.60TradeNet folds Str44 calls for 0.60frontiersafe folds Ozzk folds Blitzin folds TT116 calls for 0.50kahaki calls for 0.50kjello55 calls for 0.50(pot 3.15)Flop [ Q :heart: , Q :diamond: , A :diamond: ]TT116 checks kahaki checks kjello55 checks akishore bets 1.50Str44 folds TT116 calls for 1.50kahaki folds kjello55 folds (pot 6.15)Turn [ K :diamond: ]TT116 checks akishore bets 3.00TT116 went all-in 33.75akishore went all-in 5.60TT116 receives returned betting money 25.15(pot 23.35)River [ 9 :diamond: ](pot 23.35)akishore shows [ A :heart: , Q :spade: ]TT116 shows [ 7 :diamond: , 3 :diamond: ]akishore has [ Q :heart: , Q :diamond: , Q :spade: , A :diamond: , A :heart: - Fullhouse ]TT116 has [ A :diamond: , K :diamond: , Q :diamond: , 9 :diamond: , 7 :diamond: - Flush ]i hope this also shows you why you don't chase flushes and straights on paired boards. it's just not smart.as for smash's method, it works pretty well. i guess my natural style in live NL cash games is loose/aggressive, but with online, i found i can really make a nice buck multi-tabling and just waiting for premium hands or premium flops.aseem

yea last night i couldnt sleep..so i decided to play a $2 max buy NL tablei only played pocket pairs and when i got pocket aces i would go all in..and if i made a set i would go all in.. got up to $9 in less then a hour... :D

i don't mean to attribute this style to smash, it's just a super-tight/aggressive style as you say. i just mentioned smash since there was a post recently about the best way to beat online NL games, and after he suggested this style, there was a lot of debate whether this strategy would actually maximize profit.aseem

sure flopping monsters is cool, but its no fun flopping a full house with AA in 30 60 and get beat on turn by a Royal Street Flush.i hardly ever play 30 60, so this sucked bigtime. it happened to me yesterday.. :D

i don't mean to attribute this style to smash, it's just a super-tight/aggressive style as you say. i just mentioned smash since there was a post recently about the best way to beat online NL games, and after he suggested this style, there was a lot of debate whether this strategy would actually maximize profit.aseem
when was the post made i wanna read it

I flopped a straight flush yesterday, 6-10 in clubs. I was in the BB and only 2 people took the flop with me. The trouble with certain monsters is that they can be very scary to others. In this case a flop of three clubs and two other players without clubs. Certainly flopped full houses with high cards against other players with paint is potentially very profitable. When you flop a monster your always praying its when there is a ton of preflop callers. ... Unlike in my case when there was only two. It's wierd in the last four days I have had two straight flushes and my first (one live one online) and my first royal flush (live).. That's poker. It can rain or it can pour.

Flopping monsters is great but doesn't always work out. I was sitting with A:diamond:K:diamond: UTG and the flop comes Q:diamond:J:diamond:6:diamond:. Then the turn and river bring another Q and J... Not a huge monster but still.

with my first royal flush, I flopped it. (KJd) The problem is that no one else flopped trips and the turn was another diamond. Everyone feared anyone holding the K or the J. Fortunately someone tried bluffing and I raised small and got called.