Hasek Back In Detroit

Give me a break. Didn't we learn anything from the last time we got him? Guess not. I need to become a Sabres fan I guess.http://www.detroitredwings.com/wings/article.jsp?id=4532
I highly recommend this course of action, the Wings will be in trouble for a good couple of years, unless they pull off some type of decent trade to get help. Osgood is a capable goalie, I don't really understand why they feel like bringing in Hasek was a smart thing to do. Should have given Ozzie the team and brought up a rookie to learn the ropes and take over in '07 or '08. I'm loving how fast the Sabres are settling up with all their RFA's now that the hammer has been lowered with Briere's contract. Buffalo will be in really good shape when the season opens, I'm still holding out hope that they can manage to sign both Briere and Afinogenov for one more run at the Cup.

All interesting thoughts, but, as much as I hate Hasek, consider this: In the games he DID play with the Sens last season, he was second in goaltending in the NHL, with a close to 2.00 GAA and .925 save percentage. Can he still play? Hatefully, it sure looks like it. IF he can stay healthy. As it stands for the Wings, tho... small risk for a potentially great return. Good deal on their part...

All interesting thoughts, but, as much as I hate Hasek, consider this: In the games he DID play with the Sens last season, he was second in goaltending in the NHL, with a close to 2.00 GAA and .925 save percentage. Can he still play? Hatefully, it sure looks like it. IF he can stay healthy. As it stands for the Wings, tho... small risk for a potentially great return. Good deal on their part...
Agreed. Even knowing he'll miss half the season he'll be a lot better than Osgood when he does play and he's darn cheap for that half season of production. He'll never make it through the playoffs but I hate the Wings so I'm happy.
Good point. The main problem I see is if Detroit ends up in a situation like Ottawa last year. Get off to a great start, Hasek playing well, everything looking good. Then Hasek goes down, and everything goes all to hell. When he's in there he is (ugh) still good. The problems occur when a team begins to depend on or expect his goaltending.
Good point. The main problem I see is if Detroit ends up in a situation like Ottawa last year. Get off to a great start, Hasek playing well, everything looking good. Then Hasek goes down, and everything goes all to hell. When he's in there he is (ugh) still good. The problems occur when a team begins to depend on or expect his goaltending.
Well the bright spot I guess is that he has undisclosed incetive bonus' for each round of the playoffs. Holland says that if he does get hurt mid season then that frees up a lot of cap money to get a good goalie at the trade deadline. So let's hope he gets hurt prior to that deadline.

If there was ever a time to bring Jimmy Howard in, this was the season. The wins will very likely be in transition with the loss of Shanahan and Yzerman, as the reigns go to younger guys like Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Zetterberg appears to be the only young player with any leadership ability. I hope I'm wrong, but to me, this is starting to remind me of the old Rangers.

• 3 weeks later...