The MP3 is fairly aggressive preflop, raising multiple hands but never showing down.I've been winning a lot of hands recently and showing down strong cards.This is the first hand we've played together.I've been wanting to become a better blind defender, but I don't want to be blindly upping my defense with poor choices for starting hands. Is an unsuited Ace-rag worthy of a call here or is this a trouble hand?Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t40 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FCP)Button (t1705)SB (t2015)Hero (t3085)UTG (t1570)UTG+1 (t1305)MP1 (t1365)MP2 (t1170)MP3 (t1260)CO (t1525)Preflop: Hero is BB with A :D , 6 :club: . 3 folds, MP3 raises to t140, 4 folds.Final Pot: t200

Fold. He's in middle position and a raise could very well mean he has a good hand. If you raise all-in, he's probably only calling with better than A6 (maybe he calls KQ, 55, etc and you're not behind), and if he just folds you're winning a small pot . If you raise to something like 300, he's going to call with pot odds. If you raise to something more reasonable like 500 or 600, you're committing yourself if he moves in for another 600, and if he does you're probably behind.

MP raise with less than average stack isn't a nothing hand IMO. Your hand is certainly a trouble hand, so steer clear, let him have your 40 chips, and move on. I'd probably fold up to ace-9 offsuit there, but may see a flop with ace-ten.

Agreed, but why do people consider it defending then, if they are not yours???
As bizzle will tell you, bad players defend their blinds, good players don't, and great players resnap.

The concept of "defending" is often misapplied. When name pros talk about defending their blind in tournaments, they're talking about deepstacks. In the average online tournament where everyone's M is typically quite low, you should be folding or snapping them off, as bizzle via therrinn just said. Making money in $10 STTs is accomplished by playing solid, tight-aggressive poka.