Questions About Vegas..........

hey whats up guys.......I'm gonna be moving to vegas sometime before the end of the year and had a few questions for any locals or anyone who knows. First of all I'm looking for a 2bed/bath apartment for no more than 1K a month. Basically I'm trying to figure out what parts of town to stay away from. I don't want to move out there and end up somewhere unsafe. I've been to Vegas numerous times but have never gotten too far off the strip, so I don't know much about residential areas. Anymore info or facts you guys could throw out here to me would be much appreciated.Fred

my advice for what it's worth....stay away from henderson. The area is nice, but the surronding areas are slummish. Look for apartments in the summerlin area. Currently have a 2bed/2bath for a tiny bit over 1k a month 1027/month. Right in your price range I'm assuming. The area is nice, no slummish parts. Anything you could possibly need is close. The area is not too far from the strip but its not too close, about a 15 minute drive.So cliff notes version, stay away from henderson, stray towards summerlin.

my advice for what it's worth....stay away from henderson. The area is nice, but the surronding areas are slummish. Look for apartments in the summerlin area. Currently have a 2bed/2bath for a tiny bit over 1k a month 1027/month. Right in your price range I'm assuming. The area is nice, no slummish parts. Anything you could possibly need is close. The area is not too far from the strip but its not too close, about a 15 minute drive.So cliff notes version, stay away from henderson, stray towards summerlin.
lucky sob's livin in vegas
hey whats up guys.......I'm gonna be moving to vegas sometime before the end of the year and had a few questions for any locals or anyone who knows. First of all I'm looking for a 2bed/bath apartment for no more than 1K a month. Basically I'm trying to figure out what parts of town to stay away from. I don't want to move out there and end up in some dump in the middle of the ghetto. I've been to Vegas numerous times but have never gotten too far off the strip, so I don't know much about residential areas. Anymore info or facts you guys could throw out here to me would be much appreciated.And no......I'm not moving out there to tp/mm. This is all job related and had the choice of LA or Vegas........easy choice for me, I hate LA. Thanks in advance and good luck to all on the tables......peaceFred
and you like to play poker also i bet? :club: lucky you going to live in vegas. good luck

Hi 'Freddec',I would agree with 'fmlycar' in regard to Henderson and the surrounding areas being less than desirable. I have lived in Las Vegas since 1993 on and off, and have rented apartments in most parts of the city at one time or another. Summerlin definitely is nice and there are some really nice apartment complexes there. My personal opinion is almost everything on the West side of the strip is better than the East, but much depends on which area you will be working/commuting to. A few years ago you could get just about everywhere you needed to go in Vegas in 20 mins, but traffic has gotten so bad in many areas that now it can take an hour or more just to get to the strip from some residential areas.I have a house now in the Southwest part of town (Ft Apache/Russell) while I am waiting for my new condo on the South Strip to finish being built. There are actually some nice apartment complexes in this area that you may want to check out, and you are only about 20 mins from the strip, and right on the 215 which gets you across town quickly if you need to. It is currently taking me about 10-15 mins to get to the Rio each day as a guideline.If you want to contact me with any other questions I would be happy to help, and could recommend some specific places to check out.Hope that helps, :club: Phil

wow, i didnt know that my town of henderson was such a dump guys? I guess youve missed the numerous amounts of million dollar homes, great schools, and nice people that exist outside of old henderson.

wow, i didnt know that my town of henderson was such a dump guys? I guess youve missed the numerous amounts of million dollar homes, great schools, and nice people that exist outside of old henderson.
I think their comments were that Henderson itself is quite nice, but that some of the surrounding areas are a bit sketchy. Which is true. I don't think anyone meant to besmirch the reputation of your beloved town.I wholeheartedly agree with the assessment of Summerlin. One of my best friends lives there with his family -- it's a very nice place. If I was going to live in Vegas (heaven forbid), that's where I'd try to find a house.

Sorry 'mcderve' - should have been clearer - didnt mean to offend you in any way. I have dozens of friends that live in Henderson and certainly most of the newer housing and residential areas are great. The OP seemed more interested though in lower priced apartment units, and the ones I know in and around Henderson are certainly not as nice as you can get for the same money in other parts of town.The nice parts of Henderson are very nice, but for rentals I was just suggesting that there are better options. :club:

I live in LA but also have an apartment in Vegas. My apartment is in Sumerlin. I have a 2b/2b with a 2 car garage (garage important for Vegas) in a gated community with a 24hour guard and 2 pools for $1125/mo. 2 miles from Red Rock (20 table poker room) and Sun Coast (opening poker room soon) and about 10-15 minutes from the strip.

My personal opinion is almost everything on the West side of the strip is better than the East, but much depends on which area you will be working/commuting to. Phil
I agree with this 100%. Generally speaking, the west side of I-15 tend to have better neighborhoods than the east side. Although, there are nice areas in the east and bad areas in the west, generally Phil's statement is true.Also, an often over-looked area is the far North and North-west side of the town of North Las Vegas. However, the south, and eastern side of North LV are not so great.I own a home now, but when I was a renter I had good experiences with Camden Properties. They have several complexes all over town. YMMV.

Fred I'm on the Northwest edge of town (Elkhorn and Tenaya) and lovin it. Traffic most anywhere is a ***** so prepare accordingly. It really gets crazy when it rains as the roads are slick as A-K suited and crazy crazy drivers. I'm 5 minutes from the Santa Fe (8 tables now, expanding to 16 I believe in the next 6 months, 15 from Fiesta and Texas Station, and 25 or so from the Rio.

re-read my post, I never said anything about henderson being a dump, just the surronding areas.

wow thanks a ton for the input guys......I may be emailing a couple of you for further info on certain things.....Its always good to get good info and thats why i dig this board.........thanks again guys, peace

I am also looking forward to a move to Vegas at the end of the year.... this will be a return for me, though....I agree with everyone who advised against the east side

Summerlin is very nice but can be a little pricey. Henderson would defenantly be a second choice. Stay away from the east side for sure and stay away from southern highlands. The area is nice but the commute with blue diamond rd is hell!