Trail Of Tears, Part 2 Of 7

This hand is very early in a $5+$1 rebuy, 350 entrants,nothing interesting to report at this stage.NO_LIMIT TEXAS_HOLDEM $5+$1 (Real Money), #675,610,400 5+0.5 NL Rebuy Multi Table Tournament, 3 Jul 2006 1:28 PM ET Seat 1: UTG+2 ($1,830 in chips) Seat 2: UTG+3 ($1,230 in chips) Seat 3: UTG+4 ($2,510 in chips) Seat 4: UTG+5 ($1,430 in chips) Seat 5: UTG+6 ($1,500 in chips) Seat 6: UTG+7 ($1,500 in chips) Seat 7: Sm Blind ($2,260 in chips) Seat 8: Big Blind ($1,480 in chips) Seat 9: UTG ($1,500 in chips) Seat 10: Hero ($4,260 in chips) Hero is dealt [Jc, Jd] ANTES/BLINDSSm Blind posts blind ($10), Big Blind posts blind ($20).PRE-FLOPUTG calls $20, Hero bets $100, UTG+2 folds, UTG+3 folds, UTG+4 folds, UTG+5 folds, UTG+6 folds, UTG+7 calls $100, Sm Blind bets $170, Big Blind folds, UTG folds, Hero calls $80, UTG+7 calls $80.FLOP [board cards 5S,10H,3S ]Sm Blind bets $250, Hero calls $250, UTG+7 calls $250.TURN [board cards 5S,10H,3S,7S ]Sm Blind bets $400, Hero ????Results in white, highlight with mouse to view:Hero folds, UTG+7 folds.SHOWDOWNSm Blind wins $1,730.

Jacks are one of the toughest hands to play, and this is a good example of why.Pre-flop is good up until the min-raise by SB. I like your raise to the limper, but once min-raised, alarm bells go off. Even if you get a flop with all undercards here, you have to proceed with extreme caution. You have your opponent covered, so if he is playing AK or something like that in this fashion (the min-raise), we should be able to find out fairly easily. You could re-raise pre-flop here, but I don't mind just calling at all.We got a great flop for our hand, unless our opponent has an overpair. We missed our set, but may still be good here. I would raise, and if re-raised, fold. If just called, proceed with caution. I hate just flat-calling here, as there are a lot of scary cards that could show up (any overcard, pairing the board, another spade, etc.)

This is still during the rebuy phase right?Calling preflop is ok but you have to raise postflop. You need to gauge villian's hand plus there's a flush draw out there so you can't let someone draw for cheap.I probably go all the way because you are in the rebuy phase. You need to take some chances to build up a stack and an overpair to the board on the flop is good enough for me.If you are past the rebuy/addon phase, then you need to be more careful. I would raise to 800 on the flop. If villain raises big, I would let the hand go. It could be a semi-bluff but you have to weigh the possibility that he has a better overpair than you.

Honestly, in the rebuy phase of a $5 tourney, I probably just jam PF. Either when the action first gets to you, or after the min-raise. I just don't think you can play this like a real tournament yet. I certainly wouldn't assume QQ or better from the min-raise. I guess if the table's playing tight, it might be a different story, but for the most part, I usually see people just throwing their chips in the pot at random.

w/o reading replies nor results:Preflop is good, imo. Deep stacks, lets not get crazy.Flop: weak bet by SB.. great flop for us... we are usally ahead here... smooth call bad with players left to act behind us and two spades on board.. lets charge over cards, too. Raise flop to 800.Fold to a push, the weak flop lead + c/r makes me not like JJ.plays differently from there.******** reading replies *********pretends my response ignored the rebuy stuff..I never play those... but certainly the gamble element is higher.

Just a comment on the rebuy: I don't like to rebuy. The reason I like to play them, though, is because lots of people use them to gamble wildly and just rebuy. I figure it's their way of paying $15 or more for the same prize pool that I pay $5 for. Plus, with the people taking chances on junk, I can usually at least double up if I play tight. I play one or two hands during the rebuy period and am usually in the top half with the people who busted a couple times. So I tend not to take chances on borderline hands; I'm just ready to push on the monsters. That's why this one was so hard -- a good but not cinch hand against what I considered strong bets. (As other responses have shown, my idea of strong bets may be a bit skewed)

Jam PF. Yes, I know you don't like to rebuy but.....jam PF.Played how it was, with 2 in the pot, that flop, 2 spades, move it in there.Turn, played how it was, I would seriously consider folding now. My guess is UTG+7 is either on a spade draw and just hit his flush or flopped a set. You are behind to one of these hands at this point, IMO.

Easy push preflop IMO. Even though you don't like to rebuy, JJ is a monster the first hour and is often getting called by much worse hands.Since you are playing the rebuy very conservatively, you should have raised big on the flop. If villain re-raises all-in, I generally call in a low-stakes game.