Small Stakes Hold Em!

I play small like $10-100 buy in home games and saw this book and it looked like it would be help to me. Has anyone read it and is it good? If youve read it can you give me a brief description about it. Thanks a lot

I play small like $10-100 buy in home games and saw this book and it looked like it would be help to me. Has anyone read it and is it good? If youve read it can you give me a brief description about it. Thanks a lot
It's the bible of low stakes limit hold'em. Unfortunately, it is terribly, terribly dull. You should read it, though if you want to make money off of your friends.
Get the book. I am surprised that you just now heard of it since most players on FCP praise it. I have read it and I agree with Nikki that it is dull ( I literally fell asleep reading a few times), but is also the bible of small stakes hold'em. There is a lot of pertinent information. FYI, the book is geared towards limit cash games although a few things can translate over to no-limit.

It's a must-have for people playing low limit hold 'em. It has a lot of helpful information like adjusting to the type of game you're in (loose, aggressive, tough, etc.). Also how to exploit your opponents' weaknesses.

iv heard of it just havent really poksted about it (i kind of forgot there was a books forum lol) but i was in the bookstore the other day and saw it but didnt really look through it bc i was in a rush

• 3 weeks later...

Is there much in this book that is different or better than what is discussed in Winning Low Limit Hold 'em by Lee Jones?? I've been reluctant to buy SSHE because I'd hate to spend $20 or whatever it costs on the same material.

i think that every person that is serious about playing small stakes LIMIT games sould get this book. they give a great chart for new players too. when i used to play my friends home games i was brand new and hardly knew anything. i picked up harrington on hold'em 1 and when it came out 2 and that probably helped me the most. i dont think the small stakes book will help you too much for the home game because i am pretty sure that you guys probably play NL hold'em SNG style or something similar. if you were to play a limit cash game then i would get this book.

Is there much in this book that is different or better than what is discussed in Winning Low Limit Hold 'em by Lee Jones?? I've been reluctant to buy SSHE because I'd hate to spend $20 or whatever it costs on the same material.
It's basically WLLHE x 10.It's worth the money.

is it primarily a limit book?I thought someone said that and im probably not gonna get it if it is

is it primarily a limit book?I thought someone said that and im probably not gonna get it if it is
yes, it is a limit book...it's still worth the moneyif you don't want to dish out the $30 for it then check half.com and you can get it a lot cheaper
  • 2 weeks later...

I just started reading this book tonight and I totally agree on it being terribly dull. But ive heard so many good things about it so i know i have to read it.

I just started reading this book tonight and I totally agree on it being terribly dull. But ive heard so many good things about it so i know i have to read it.
Like I stated before, it literally put me to sleep on more than one occasion. You are best off trying to take it piece by piece, and take notes so you don't have to re-read it. It really does contain some great pieces of information.

Yeah... ive been thinking... "I should write this down" but i never do and i will probably forget some useful information. Im going to say it again, This book is boring!

• 4 weeks later...

THis is a fantastic book. Yes it may be dry but like poker itself, some are action players and some are students. Book is great for both but I can see that for some personalities it could put them in a drousy daze.I think for anyone who is a break even or winning player will realize they have been using the concepts without even realizing why. Once you know the whys, it will just make your profit that much better when you realize why you have been doing the things you do at the table.I think the hidden outs, and how to play overcards sections are invaluable. All topics have tremendous value.So boring or not, this is the must have book if you wish to improve your game. It is based upon LIMIT but it has value in any type of poker you may play(excluding the starting hand charts). Even no limit players should know all the concepts of this book. It is easier to learn the concepts in LIMIT and then adjust them for the no limit game. Some concepts will seldom be valuable in the NO LIMIT game but to know them is to havea solid foundation to have behind you.Reverse implied odds is another concept that I think is great to have on paper. The big pot versus small pot analysis is great too as is the overcall section in river play.ANd there is so much more. So even if you just read a section at a time in order to stay awake, you still should get the book.