a case for christ

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't believe in a god because you can't see them. But you say to creationists - "Just because you can't see the transitional stages or evolution working today (as far as species changing to new species) doesn't mean it didn't happen" (Yes Kirk Cameron is an idiot).... And no I don't mean speciation or natural selection or sexual selection... everybody agrees on that. The disagreement lies in whether or not these lead to a completely new species or just the same species better suited to survive.
But speciation has been observed and proven in a relatively short time:First article on observed speciationSecond article on instances of observed speciationSo then the question becomes, is this ID, or is this random natural evolution? Since it can be readily explained as random variations, the question of whether "God did it" is purely a matter of faith, and not really subject to debate. Either you believe "God did it" or not, but it has nothing to do with science. It's not an answerable/testable/falsifiable hypothesis. But the fact that it is easily explained by random genetic mutation without the aid of supernatural intervention would lead most people to believe this was not an act of god, but rather a random occurrence.And so it comes back to: ID is not science, because it is not falsifiable. Anyone can believe anything they want, but when they start calling it science, it's time to raise the bar.
  • 4 months later...

I have a question (I'm not sure whether this is the right thread for it, but here goes):Why do we need God anymore? In the biblical days, God was said to have created the world, God was said to make the sun rise, God was said to cause the wind to blow, etc... Nowadays, we can explain everything with science. So what is left for God to do?

I have a question (I'm not sure whether this is the right thread for it, but here goes):Why do we need God anymore? In the biblical days, God was said to have created the world, God was said to make the sun rise, God was said to cause the wind to blow, etc... Nowadays, we can explain everything with science. So what is left for God to do?
That's the wrong question... the right question is what can WE do? The answer is glorify God.
That's one of the main reasons that I became comfortable in getting over my past religious feelings. I was taught my entire life that God and Christ are holy... and even when I didn't like them, I still felt "guilty" (almost as if I was blaspheming against my mother) if I ever spoke out against them. It wasn't till I grew up and really achieved a decent state of being well-adjusted that I was comfortable being honest with myself. It was past the times that I learned that my mother was human and that she can fall for things like religion just like so many others do. One of the biggest questions to myself was "why do I need God?". After taking plenty of time to answer it, I found out I didn't.It's sad, though, when it comes out in a family setting. I am getting tired of being treated with pity when that is what I feel back at them. We have one life, do the most that you can with it. I guarantee you that I'm not going to be the one on my deathbed regretting that I didn't live my life to the fullest because I thought there was some after-life ahead of me.
fortunately for god we can't quite explain everything with science yet. at least for now there are still a few gaps for him to hide in : )
  • 2 weeks later...
fortunately for god we can't quite explain everything with science yet. at least for now there are still a few gaps for him to hide in : )
He'll always be able to hide behind the big bang too :club:.
the fact that the origin of life isn't understood has no bearing on the validity of evolution.
But it has everything to do with the idea that God is or even could be responsible for the origin of life. I think that evolution does occur- I think that the drive for life to live makes that very concept possible. The difference is, that doesn't immediately make God a fraud or untrue. It never has, but science assumes so. To say that science doesn't presuppose when it comes to God is absolute horseshit. It presupposes that there is no God, and then goes from there, many times coming out with explanations that still leave room for God, which of course is looked at as some sort of bone thrown to creationist like we/I am begging you for answers, and then we/I are mocked for chewing on the bone. It's a sick little revolution of sorts that only occurs when we bother to give you the time of day. For the most part, I think it really is best to just ignore you and avoid you as much as possible. I don't neccesarily mean you, Crow, or guys like Wakefield and Yorke, but I ma pretty sure you can see what I am saying. Not that I really care anymore about this forum on any level, really. Look at the sad shape of this thread. What I don't get is how the most interesting thread in years mysteriously dissapears but this blasphemous cesspool of one lives on. Was this what DN had in mind? I certainly doubt it.
I wonder if there will be any explanation of why this doesn't apply to evolution from the creationists/ID people.
There won't be, because it in no way disproves God, so there is no reason for me to care. Actually disprove God inn a way that I can't poke a hole in in 4 seconds and you may have my attention.
ZOMG!1!11!! Of course this means its impossible to GET to the grocery store. So that PROOOVES the Christian God exists cause my fridge has groceries IN IT and we know Zeus can't shop cause Zeus is so obviously NOT ReAL and therefore can't carry bags.Also HE SAID "Let there be LIGHT!!!!11!!11" and what happens when you open the fridge??!!1/? How do you atheists not GET IT?!?!?!And if DARWIN was doing my shopping there would be BAnnapples and Juicosteaks and ice-crsoda, but there ISN'T!! cuase Banaapples would NOT fit your hand PERFECTLY, like dinosaurs don't. Can you imagine holding a STEGOSOREARSE in your HAND??!!? IT WOULD HURT!! Just ask KIRK CAMERON if you don't beleive me. (HE'S BEEN ON TV)AND DARWIN DIDN@T EVEN HAVE A FRIDGE!!! Not sure about a TV though - he might have, I'll have to research That one. He probably got EVOLution from watching FOX...ANyway as YORKE said NOONE SAW it so it doesn't happen - and he shood know cause he KNOWS he is smart. This means its a MIRICLE!!1!!Praise the Lord, peace out and bless you bitches
This is a fine example of who/what turns me off. This guy is like the Jim Baker of your religion.

actually the more i think about it the more i think it won't be long before i'm more agnostic... sometimes i feel close to God and all that good Christian stuff, but other times i feel like i'm already atheist

actually the more i think about it the more i think it won't be long before i'm more agnostic... sometimes i feel close to God and all that good Christian stuff, but other times i feel like i'm already atheist
That's called being human. I have doubts every day. It's what you do with them that counts. Faith, without works, is dead. True faith, takes work. There is no silver platter. The only thing that is guaranteed is you will question. Every day. That's how you get answers. Alas, sometimes we arrive to the wrong conclusions as we search. This is inevitable. The good thing is one day everyone will believe. This, also inevitable. Unless I am wrong. Which, I doubt.
Oddly enough, I have come to really respect you. I was wrong about you months ago, for that I am sorry.
Hey, I appreciate that :club:
The only thing that is guaranteed is you will question.
I didn't know that was guaranteed. I also didn't know it was the only thing that was guaranteed....
I didn't know that was guaranteed. I also didn't know it was the only thing that was guaranteed....
Yeah, I meant that overall, like in life, I wasn't talking about just the confines of religion, where questioning is not only a neccesity but a god given right. Was there a question in there or did you want to just continue your downward spiral?
Yeah, I meant that overall, like in life, I wasn't talking about just the confines of religion, where questioning is not only a neccesity but a god given right. Was there a question in there or did you want to just continue your downward spiral?
neither

All right i guess it was a question... how do we know we're guaranteed to doubt? Plenty of nuts seem sure about what they believe however wrong they may be..

All right i guess it was a question... how do we know we're guaranteed to doubt? Plenty of nuts seem sure about what they believe however wrong they may be..
Generally- basic reasoning doesn't apply to nuts and crazy people because, well, they are nuts. Next.
  • 2 weeks later...

Lois what do you think about the criticism that whether or not one gets into heaven is based on geography - as in whether or not one was given the oppurtunity to be taught the gospel and Christianity? I don't know where you stand on what happens if someone never got a chance to believe, but I'm having a problem with the fact that most Christians tend to become such because of the environment they were raised in, either because of the characteristics it instilled upon them or because of its Christian impact (at least from what I can tell in my little amount of experience).

• 2 weeks later...
In this section it seems we often end up having religious debates about this or that. So on that note, I'd love to share with you all the book that changed my life forever. A Case for Christ was written by an atheist who decided to put the life of Jesus "on trial". It's full of excellent information. I was never one to leap blindly into a faith "just because" so this book was extremely influencial in my life. The book provides some amazing facts and viewpoints, and asks all of the tough questions. It just blew me away and I'd like to invite any of you to read this book for yourself. If you would like a FREE copy just send me an e-mail at daniel@fullcontactpoker.com and I'll have one sent to your house totally free of charge. I'd especially like to offer this invitation to any atheists that post here. Not to shove it down their throat by any means, but just to give them an educated perspective on why there are so many believers in this country.
Same book... same result for me.