Live 1/2 10 HandedPrinciple StacksHero: $325Villain: $115Villain is straightforward and obvious. Table is extremely loose, but Villain is not playing many hands. He is not particularly familiar or comfortable with live play.Hero is UTG+1 with A :D 6 :). Villain is SB.Hero limps. Four other limps. SB raises to $15. BB folds. Hero calls. CO calls.Flop ($53)5 :D 4 :club: 2 :club:Villain ChecksHero ChecksCO ChecksTurn ($53)5 :D Villain bets $25Hero?

Shouldn't Villain have a pretty strong hand here if he's been playing tight but is now calling a $15 raise? He's also getting a pretty good price on a call if you're going for the steal. Has he folded a lot to raises previously?

Shouldn't Villain have a pretty strong hand here if he's been playing tight but is now calling a $15 raise? He's also getting a pretty good price on a call if you're going for the steal. Has he folded a lot to raises previously?
Villain actually makes the raise to $15 preflop from the small blind. He certainly has a strong hand preflop.

meh, he gave you a free card once. I chuck it in the muck.EDIT: you missed your chance to steal on the flop.

OP said the Villain is a straightfoward player, I doubt very highly he has a pocket pair here, most likely he has AK or AQ. I'd raise to take down the pot here if he is the type of player who would fold AK or AQ to the raise after putting in $40 of his $115 stack. Or you could call and try to take the pot on the river. I don't like this option as much because you give him the chance to bluff the rest of his stack on the river. I like stealing the pot on the turn as long as he will fold all of his non-paired hands.

OP said the Villain is a straightfoward player, I doubt very highly he has a pocket pair here, most likely he has AK or AQ. I'd raise to take down the pot here if he is the type of player who would fold AK or AQ to the raise after putting in $40 of his $115 stack. Or you could call and try to take the pot on the river. I don't like this option as much because you give him the chance to bluff the rest of his stack on the river. I like stealing the pot on the turn as long as he will fold all of his non-paired hands.
So wait, he's a straightforward player but he doesn't put in a continuation bet on a rag flop after he raised preflop?
I certainly would play AK or AQ here like it was the nuts the way this hand has been played out. I play with mostly horrible players and I don't see any of them folding AK to a raise here after we checked the flop. I have a hard time seeing even bad players folding here. I don't think this is a great spot to be bluffing.I would be value-betting my AK. :club:
So wait, he's a straightforward player but he doesn't put in a continuation bet on a rag flop after he raised preflop?
When I think of a straightforward player, I think of someone who bets based solely on their cards. I guess the definition of straightforward can be different to different people. A straightforward and obvious player as the OP described is much more likely to check a flop UI after raising pre-flop than to check a rag flop with an overpair.
I certainly would play AK or AQ here like it was the nuts the way this hand has been played out. I play with mostly horrible players and I don't see any of them folding AK to a raise here after we checked the flop. I have a hard time seeing even bad players folding here. I don't think this is a great spot to be bluffing.I would be value-betting my AK. smile.gif
I would too. However, if this is a player who is playing "straightforward" basing his plays solely on the strength of his own cards, he's not thinking about what our possible hand range is. This is the type of player where a raise in this situation is mega +ev. If the OP recognizes that this is the that type of player then I think a raise is a good play. I agree with what you've said. However, based on the description the OP gave of the villain, I think this is a good spot to make a move. Keep in mind.. even if he were to call with AK we still have outs.. 3 or 6 for the win and 2 or 4 for a chop.
When I think of a straightforward player, I think of someone who bets based solely on their cards. I guess the definition of straightforward can be different to different people. A straightforward and obvious player as the OP described is much more likely to check a flop UI after raising pre-flop than to check a rag flop with an overpair.
Ok. "Straightforward" on this board usually means not tricky, but not necessarily bad. Not continuing a bet on the flop is bad. I would use the term "weak" or "weak-tight". I'm certainly not arguing that there's no possibility villain has AK. My problem was with the read on the villain = our play.
Ok. "Straightforward" on this board usually means not tricky, but not necessarily bad. Not continuing a bet on the flop is bad. I would use the term "weak" or "weak-tight". I'm certainly not arguing that there's no possibility villain has AK. My problem was with the read on the villain = our play.
Gotcha. So what do you think his hand range is?
Live 1/2 10 HandedPrinciple StacksHero: $325Villain: $115Villain is straightforward and obvious. Table is extremely loose, but Villain is not playing many hands. He is not particularly familiar or comfortable with live play.Hero is UTG+1 with A :D 6 :). Villain is SB.Hero limps. Four other limps. SB raises to $15. BB folds. Hero calls. CO calls.Flop ($53)5 :D 4 :club: 2 :club:Villain ChecksHero ChecksCO ChecksTurn ($53)5 :D Villain bets $25Hero?
I would fold this for the $2. Then when then short-stacked villain raised 13% of his stack out of the blind putting me out of position against the field, I would refold.If the poker fairy returned my hand to my posession, I would bet the flop and turn.

Tremomey's thinking on this hand is pretty much in line with my thinking. Villain has either AQ or AK, and he is not calling any raise. The only difference in my thinking with Tremomey's is I believe this Villain folds all non-paired hands not only on the turn but also the river. The river cards of which I am afraid are an A, K, Q. J-7 and 5 are good cards for me as Villain will not call any bet, a 6 gives me the best hand, a 3 gives me the best hand and will win me at least a bet on the river, and I am not sure this Villain calls with an ace on a double paired board. I think raising the turn is an easy play, but I think calling the turn and betting the river works just as well against this opponent.Also, I think I can just call the turn because I am certain there is no way Villain value-bluffs his AK unimproved on the river.

Tremomey's thinking on this hand is pretty much in line with my thinking. Villain has either AQ or AK, and he is not calling any raise. The only difference in my thinking with Tremomey's is I believe this Villain folds all non-paired hands not only on the turn but also the river. The river cards of which I am afraid are an A, K, Q. J-7 and 5 are good cards for me as Villain will not call any bet, a 6 gives me the best hand, a 3 gives me the best hand and will win me at least a bet on the river, and I am not sure this Villain calls with an ace on a double paired board. I think raising the turn is an easy play, but I think calling the turn and betting the river works just as well against this opponent.Also, I think I can just call the turn because I am certain there is no way Villain value-bluffs his AK unimproved on the river.
Wow, so you're advocating letting him run his bluff to the river, and then raising him out? That's a very advanced play. What do you do if the CO calls the villain as well?
Wow, so you're advocating letting him run his bluff to the river, and then raising him out? That's a very advanced play. What do you do if the CO calls the villain as well?
I am certain Villain is not betting or calling the river unless he improves. I am calling the turn to bluff the river unless an A K or Q hits. The only reason I do not raise the turn is because I want the other $70 he has behind and the only way I am getting it is a 3 hitting.I wondered why no one worried about the cutoff. He was a pretty good player, quite loose preflop but solid post-flop. He raises a middle pair preflop, and he would bet this flop if he hit it or had an overpair. I imagine he had a couple of middle cards. He and I were somewhat avoiding each other, so I assumed he would fold if I called. He probably calls or raises if I fold the turn. Cutoff calling behind on the turn would have been entirely out of line with any of his previous actions, and I am probably check-folding the river because I have no idea what the call could possibly mean.
I am certain Villain is not betting or calling the river unless he improves. I am calling the turn to bluff the river unless an A K or Q hits. The only reason I do not raise the turn is because I want the other $70 he has behind and the only way I am getting it is a 3 hitting.I wondered why no one worried about the cutoff. He was a pretty good player, quite loose preflop but solid post-flop. He raises a middle pair preflop, and he would bet this flop if he hit it or had an overpair. I imagine he had a couple of middle cards. He and I were somewhat avoiding each other, so I assumed he would fold if I called. He probably calls or raises if I fold the turn. Cutoff calling behind on the turn would have been entirely out of line with any of his previous actions, and I am probably check-folding the river because I have no idea what the call could possibly mean.
Yeah, CO sounds a lot like me, although I usually 50/50 my calls/raises with middle/small pairs preflop. If it was me in the CO, I would've popped the flop pretty hard with an overpair to the board. I think if he does just call behind, he'll be on some sort of draw.I think if you want to steal this one, the call/(raise or bet) river line is best. Had you slowplayed any made hands and showed them down before this hand, to sell that you might be doing the same thing here?

Just to take this discussion a bit further. Say we take the call the turn/ bet safe river if checked to us line, What size bet do we make on the river? If I remember correctly the villain would be left with $75 and the pot would be $95. Will the size of your bet effect whether this particular player call or not? Has he shown the ability to call a bluff on the river? From what the OP has said about this player I would deduce that the amount doesn't really matter that much. I'd probably bet $45 or something around there. Just calling on the turn also protects from the CO, should he actually have a hand behind us. However, if he is a tricky player he may try to pick the pot up himself. I still think I agree with you guys and like the call the turn/bluff safe river line.

Just to take this discussion a bit further. Say we take the call the turn/ bet safe river if checked to us line, What size bet do we make on the river? If I remember correctly the villain would be left with $75 and the pot would be $95. Will the size of your bet effect whether this particular player call or not? Has he shown the ability to call a bluff on the river? From what the OP has said about this player I would deduce that the amount doesn't really matter that much. I'd probably bet $45 or something around there. Just calling on the turn also protects from the CO, should he actually have a hand behind us. However, if he is a tricky player he may try to pick the pot up himself. I still think I agree with you guys and like the call the turn/bluff safe river line.
Well, if we can get rid of the cutoff, I think we can bet $40 on the river and get away with it....reason being that for this argument,we're putting the villain on air, so our small bet will look more like we want a call.
I doubt the size of the bet matters much. I bet $55, but I imagine a $40-$45 bet would work just the same. This player has shown no ability to pick off bluffs, even if he suspects one.