Not Playing As Often Better?

I posted recently that I took a lot of your advice and took a break from poker for about 2 months. Now that I'm back playing again, I just don't have the time to play as much as I used to due to family (I have twin 2 year old boys), work, and Rugby (I play div. II and travel almost every weekend). I play MAYBE twice a week, but usually just once, although it is usually a good 8-10 hour session of live 2-5 NL, unlimited buy-in.I have noticed that I almost ALWAYS have a winning session now, whereas when I was playing everyday, I would run up and down. Now I know this could be due to a long (2 1/2 month) stretch of up-swing variance, so only time will tell, but was thinking that maybe by not playing as often, this is keeping me sharper and I'm paying more attention to my starting hands than I did when I was playing a lot.Anyone else have an experience like this? Just thought I'd share.

good post,i totally agree. I to have just started a new job which doenst allow for much live play as before. When playing everyday, you tend to lose focus and not care as much to details. however, when only able to play 1 session a week or fewer, I have found myself in the same situation. I try to pay attention to everything around me, and really work hard on making every decision the right one.Now a days, i find myself in a live session only on sunday's. And thats if im lucky :club:

I agree with OP as well. I only play online and had been playing quite frequently because the wife was working a different schedule than me. Now that we work the same hours I don't have that same "freedom". When I do sit down to play I am much more fired up and the bad beats don't hurt as much when you are just excited to play.

only problem is, don't try to get a quick session in when you know you have to be somewhere in say an hour... good way to lose a couple bb's from anxious playing

only problem is, don't try to get a quick session in when you know you have to be somewhere in say an hour... [b[good way to lose a couple bb's from anxious playing[/b]
You're doing something wrong if you're playing "anxious" like that.
You're doing something wrong if you're playing "anxious" like that.
I know what he means, it's not so much "anxious" playing as trying to make some money in the little bit of time you have to play. I myself sometimes can't seem to focus 100% on playing solidly if I know I have to leave in an hour or two. I find myself playing best when I have a basically unlimited amount of time to sit (6-10 hours). I know this is a weakness, that I should play the same no matter what, but just one of those things I need to work on.

I agree, I've found that when playing more often, you tend to want to play more hands, you feel like you can win more hands, and you generally just end up in bad situations. Seems backwards, but that's the way it works.