Buying A New Computer

hey y'all - i'm considering buying a new computer, and I need some help.Basically, I've never bought a computer, so I don't know what I need to look carefully at, what I'm missing, etc.I'd like to keep costs as low as possible, but that is not the number 1 issue.I'm going to be playing online poker, and possibly a lot of hours, so it needs to have decent RAM - my current one has 240 and thats not enough. i'd imagine 512 is probably enough, but 1GB is probably better. also, the monitor needs to have at least 1280*1024 capabilities, and bigger is better.i'd prefer a laptop of course, but since some things i need are decent RAM and HD, i realize laptops sometimes lack those. (i don't need a printer)i'm looking at this page for instance:http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/f...DHS1&l=en&s=dhsand don't really see much difference between those computers. what is worth $200? is the $699 version suitable to my needs? what is not great about that offer that i'm not seeing?any other deals/sites that you can recommend would be appreciated too.thanks,daniel

Well on one you're getting a faster processor plus the dvd-writing ability. If you want some good deals, go to www.tigerdirect.com. Post some links to systems there that you like and I'll give you my input on it, or you can try to build your own from their site and work within your price range. 512mb ram on your laptop will be fine for what you need. Try for at LEAST a 1.2ghz processor, but preferebly faster, you'll notice the difference. I am a fan of AMD's so look for those at the site, you'll usually get a good price on them.

Celeron sucks.
Why?
Well on one you're getting a faster processor plus the dvd-writing ability. If you want some good deals, go to www.tigerdirect.com. Post some links to systems there that you like and I'll give you my input on it, or you can try to build your own from their site and work within your price range. 512mb ram on your laptop will be fine for what you need. Try for at LEAST a 1.2ghz processor, but preferebly faster, you'll notice the difference. I am a fan of AMD's so look for those at the site, you'll usually get a good price on them.Why?
Just word of mouth... I haven't owned one.From what I know though... Good AMD's are the best... then Good Pentiums.... and everything else is pretty much sub par.
Well on one you're getting a faster processor plus the dvd-writing ability. If you want some good deals, go to www.tigerdirect.com. Post some links to systems there that you like and I'll give you my input on it, or you can try to build your own from their site and work within your price range. 512mb ram on your laptop will be fine for what you need. Try for at LEAST a 1.2ghz processor, but preferebly faster, you'll notice the difference. I am a fan of AMD's so look for those at the site, you'll usually get a good price on them.
thanks, i'll check out that site.i don't need much fancy stuff, like dvd writing or a printer, but i would like a relatively fast processor and RAM (though i don't really know what those terms mean).how can i tell what the maximum resolution a monitor has?

Celerons suck because they are a toned down Pentium 4 with crippled FSB and slower clock speeds. And AMD is much better for the price you pay. I am a certified computer tech, so if you have any questions.. I'd be happy to answer as well. What you need in a computer really depends on what you want to do with it.Maximum resolution should be listed dpending on where you buy it... most CRT monitors support at least 1280x1024 now, same for LCD monitors.

I'll say what I always say go to www.slickdeals.netthen click on "forums"then click on "hot deals"about every week theres an awesome coupon on there for a Dell. Give it a shot.i just got a Dell E1405 dual 1.83 ghz core processor, 1 gb ram,dvd rw,etc etc for 714.80 super sweet deal

Dell XPS = +EVI have a Desktop and my GF just got a Laptop. Both are nice. Also, I think sometimes you can get money off just by asking or being a little anal, lol.Although they're a bit more pricey. Dell is funny, cause there's new deals like every freakin day.

Look at the dell 9400's.. 17" widescreen. I have one can 4 table no overlap.. THey are offering free upgrade from 512 to 1gb ram. 100gb hardrive..Well worth the investment. looking at about 1700 though..

hey y'all - i'm considering buying a new computer, and I need some help.Basically, I've never bought a computer, so I don't know what I need to look carefully at, what I'm missing, etc.I'd like to keep costs as low as possible, but that is not the number 1 issue.I'm going to be playing online poker, and possibly a lot of hours, so it needs to have decent RAM - my current one has 240 and thats not enough. i'd imagine 512 is probably enough, but 1GB is probably better. also, the monitor needs to have at least 1280*1024 capabilities, and bigger is better.i'd prefer a laptop of course, but since some things i need are decent RAM and HD, i realize laptops sometimes lack those. (i don't need a printer)i'm looking at this page for instance:http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/f...DHS1&l=en&s=dhsand don't really see much difference between those computers. what is worth $200? is the $699 version suitable to my needs? what is not great about that offer that i'm not seeing?any other deals/sites that you can recommend would be appreciated too.thanks,daniel
if you tell me how much you want to spend, max and min then i will tell you which parts to get if you want to put it together yourself, or i will refer you to the best advertised computer

I just got a dell dimension 5150. Basic specs were p4 3 ghz, 1 gb ram (upgraded for like 50$), 80 gb hd and a 20 in flat screen monitor for like 650$ before tax. Monitor was like a 500$ value to begin with. Also should add I got it within 3 days of ordering it which was sweet. With dell i think its key to wait for good offers since every month or so they come out with some great deals.Damn just checked xpbargains.com and the deal I got ended on the third.Also to get a laptop with the kind of resolution you're looking for expect to pay at least 1k.

Like others said, Celeron processors sucks for multiple gaming, but it does work ok for the buck.Watch for the sales in newspapers. Occasionally Best Buy or Office Depot will have a good deal.Almost all places will make you go through the rebate program. You pay X amount and get back $400 or so through the mail after filling in the rebate forms. Walmart is the only one I can think of that excludes the rebate program. But you will pay average price there and not get a special deal. One place you can great deal is online at dell.comHere is a great 1st computer for $299 on sale. You can get a printer/scanner/copier at Walmart later for $80 http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/p...s=04&l=en&s=bsdUltimate Gamershttp://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/f...s=19&l=en&s=dhs

Just a few words about Dell. If you buy one; hope that you do not EVER have to call for support or even help with your order. They are an absolute nightmare to deal with. You can pick up a nice machine with 1g of ram, 160g hard drive and 19" monitor for anywhere from 600 - 800.

Just a few words about Dell. If you buy one; hope that you do not EVER have to call for support or even help with your order. They are an absolute nightmare to deal with.
Is that because they are in India? I know when a friend of mind didn't qualify for the 90 days same as cash deal he call and spoke with the supervisor named "Mike" with a heavy accent.
Just a few words about Dell. If you buy one; hope that you do not EVER have to call for support or even help with your order. They are an absolute nightmare to deal with. You can pick up a nice machine with 1g of ram, 160g hard drive and 19" monitor for anywhere from 600 - 800.
that's about the range and specs i'm looking for, but it seems like in the 700 range is 512 of ram, 80g hard drive (although upgrade to 160 is only like 50 bucks), 17" monitor and celeron processor.if i could find something with your specs for under 800, i'd probably jump on it. figuratively.

my computer which i put together myself (it saved a bucket load) cost 700 AU,approx 400 US.dual (that means 2) 80 gig HD, 2.2 gig of ram, 28 " moniter (but that doesnt matter as i just plug it into the TV) this sucker for a graphics card http://www.ozdirect.com.au/product_info.ht...c0lk8vvnb5gppk5and a whole lot of other stuff that i wont quote

Check this out - total cost of just over $700 for a pretty kicking machine: AMD Athlon 3500+, 2.2 gigahertz, 1 gig RAM, 200 gig HD (!), dvd writer, decent video card, etc for $529:http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T6532Add a 19" LCD from Newegg for less than 200 bucks:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824104001Pretty potent machine for the price. Will have absolutely no problem running multiple tables from multiple poker sites at once.EDIT: BTW, in my opinion the most important part of your computer setup for playing poker is not really the computer's specs, but the speed of your internet connection (cable>dsl is ideal), and how much screen real estate you have to play with (get the biggest monitor you can afford, or consider two cheap monitors).

I have a Dell Inspiron 630m, about a month or two old. It's my first laptop but as far as I can tell it's a good machine. Really good, wide screen, and it came with 1Gb memory as part of a deal. It's a hassle deleting all the spam it comes installed with and the volume control is poor, but I've had no other problems and neither have my sister and mum (who both have Dell laptops too). Generally I think a Dell laptop with a Pentium Processor is a solid choice.

If you get something with less than 1GB of memory, you'll regret it, especially if you run pokertracker while playing. I just bought a laptop myself, and it was the best decision I could have made. Laptop + Wireless router = +EV. I can play in any room of the house, any time. I can play while cooking supper. Cant stress enough how satisfied I am. For a laptop, dont get a Celeron. Go for Centrino or AMD Turion64. In fact, dont get a desktop Celeron either. They are already obsolete.As for screen resolution, if you dont hit 1600X1200, dont worry too much about it. at 1600x1200, you can tile 4 games with no overlap. Any less than that, and you have overlap. My advice is, get a modest laptop with 1GB memory, and a used CRT based 19" or better monitor for wherever you play the most often. You can 4-table at the desk with no overlap, and 2 or 3-table anywhere else in the place.

thanks rog - as you implied, i do use PT and have a pretty large database (2-3GB), so it takes a lot of resources.

Check this out - total cost of just over $700 for a pretty kicking machine: AMD Athlon 3500+, 2.2 gigahertz, 1 gig RAM, 200 gig HD (!), dvd writer, decent video card, etc for $529:http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T6532Add a 19" LCD from Newegg for less than 200 bucks:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824104001Pretty potent machine for the price. Will have absolutely no problem running multiple tables from multiple poker sites at once.EDIT: BTW, in my opinion the most important part of your computer setup for playing poker is not really the computer's specs, but the speed of your internet connection (cable>dsl is ideal), and how much screen real estate you have to play with (get the biggest monitor you can afford, or consider two cheap monitors).
that looks like a pretty good deal, thanks. can someone else confirm that this deal is as good as it looks, and i'm not missing something significant (except a monitor)?As for the monitor, it actually looks like I might be buying a monitor separate. Are there decent places online to get used monitors, or should I look at local sources? Can I get a decent used monitor for under $100, or am I looking in the $100-200 range?

I would make sure you get XP professional or just wait a few months for Microsoft Vista to come out... professional is WAY more stable than home edition, and it will save you $250 bucks if you just wait for Vista to come out later this year.

Dell XPS = +EVI have a Desktop and my GF just got a Laptop. Both are nice. Also, I think sometimes you can get money off just by asking or being a little anal, lol.Although they're a bit more pricey. Dell is funny, cause there's new deals like every freakin day.
Those XPS are so overpriced. If you want a highend system it's so much cheaper to build it yourself. Budget systems on the other hand are close to the same price self-made or prebuilt, probly better to get prebuilt for a budget system.
Among the features in the OS are security improvements, some snazzy new graphics, and a new means of searching and organizing information. Rather than having to remember the single folder where something is stored, users will be able to put documents in any number of virtual folders. They can also establish folders that will automatically update, such as "files edited in the last week" or "documents from Jane."In addition, Microsoft is trying to simplify an array of other tasks, such as adding a PC to a home network or connecting a laptop to a projector.When will Windows Vista arrive?After promising that Vista would be widely available on computers for the 2006 holiday buying season, Microsoft has delayed the debut to January, citing the need to make security and usuability tweaks.
Those XPS are so overpriced. If you want a highend system it's so much cheaper to build it yourself. Budget systems on the other hand are close to the same price self-made or prebuilt, probly better to get prebuilt for a budget system.
Not if you can get a deal on them. Dell always has deals if you wait long enough.A couple weeks ago they did like 10 days of deals, and every day they were doing somewhere between 300 and 800 off of certain systems, depended on the day.
thanks rog - as you implied, i do use PT and have a pretty large database (2-3GB), so it takes a lot of resources.that looks like a pretty good deal, thanks. can someone else confirm that this deal is as good as it looks, and i'm not missing something significant (except a monitor)?As for the monitor, it actually looks like I might be buying a monitor separate. Are there decent places online to get used monitors, or should I look at local sources? Can I get a decent used monitor for under $100, or am I looking in the $100-200 range?
first off danny i would recommend that you don't buy an emachine. now this recommendation is only under the premise that you'd like your investment to hold up over 2 years. if you buy an emachine its basically the equivelant to buying ford sedan, they are shitty cars built with cheap shitty parts. someone above mentioned tigerdirect.com which isn't a bad site but you can find more a fair price at mwave.com. if your looking for a monitor in that price range i suggest don't buy it online, the shipping will be too expensive in relation to the actual purchase price. go to your nearest best buy and buy a 19" or 20" CRT. as far as a processor chip i would get an AMD if you had the choice. a minimum of 1 gig of ram, and i doubt you'd ever fill a 100 gig HD unless you do video editing so you can save money there. i can't stress this enough, check out mwave.com and there prebuilt pc's, i built my own pc through these guys and they have great customer service.