quiz question #6

I like calling here. I want to see a flop with this hand, but pushing in with Queens is a little much at this stage of the tournament. Calling is a very strong play as it says you have something. To me folding isn't an option. This early you just want to take some flops, the rerasie does scare me, but something tells me that AK or AQ is very likely. I feel that with KK or AA he'd just smooth call your raise and take a flop hoping to take a lot more chips off of you. You are commiting a nearly a tenth of your stack here, but to mee its worht it if you hit a favorable flop. If an Ace or a King comes up then you can get away from it and just move on. Folding PF is just dumb unless your hellmuth and you just want to show off. I don't like reraising here either as if he moves in on you, tehn what , fold? By doing this you've jsut comitted a 1/4 of your stack to just fold PF. Its early take a flop, its not a tight or wimpy play, its a smart play

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for call. Since a lot of people on here are saying that there is plenty more time to build your stack, why not call, see where you are on the flop, and get out of there if nothing hits and THEN you still have time to build your stack, just with a little less.He could also have pocket queens.

The correct play would be to re-raise the button to 2000. You send an important message; "I have a strong hand, and you should be cautious about reraising me." More importantly, this also allows for maneuverability once your opponent reacts:1. If he reraises all-in, the best decision would be to fold. You will have lost a minimal amount from your raise, but you will fold knowing that you are very likely beat. 2. If he calls, you can almost rule out the possibility that he is holding a higher pocket pair and you can take a flop being fairly certain that you are in the lead. Should the flop bring undercards to our Queens, it would make us confident in our decision to put more money in the pot, and possibly push. 3. He could fold. Yeah, but he won't fold.

I'm going to play it safe and just call to see if I get any help on the flop.With a QQ for starters I really want to see the flop. If I get lucky and make a set with two undercards that don't fit together then I'm in the driver's seat! Hopefully he has a smaller pocket pair and we both hit a set on the flop, then I'm in position to really hurt him unless he hits four of a kind on the turn or river, I'll take my chances on that. (I might just as possibly hit QQQQ if we both have a set after the flop.). If an Ace or a King comes up on the flop then I have to be careful, but with the right cards (in the first example) I can put him out of the tournament and pickup my first scalp. If I happen to hit a Q with two rainbow undercards that that don't look like they'll make an easy straight (say a flop of Qh 3c 7s) then I play little church mouse and bet 500 hoping to at least draw him in and praying he reads my bet as weakness and he tries to go over the top of me so I can really hurt him, possibly reraising All In if I think he'll call me.QQ for starters has some great possibilities, it's not unbeatable, but with a miracle flop like I described above you can double up if you play it right.

Ok, i say raise here. feel where hes kummin from. if hes got it than he'll put u all in. if not he'll fold or call. if he calls u noe u got a better hand, so ull b forcin him to draw to improper odds. if he folds, u pick up a nice sized pot. if he puts u all in, u can always fold, losing a part of ur stack, sure, but at least u wont b laying down a hand that will be dominating a large percentage of the time. by raising, u force his junk cards(maybe KQ suited) to outdraw u, and u also force out his bluff attempts(maybe suited connectors or the like).at any rate, c where ur at, b4 u decide he has one of the two best hands in the whole game.

I'm gonna lay this one down. Sure folding the third best hand to a relatively small raise compared to your stack isn't super wise, but with the blinds being so low, you need, and have, more time to see what this guy is all about. It may hurt your image, but that could potentially help you later on, sending the message that you can easily be pushed off your raise.Re-raising is not a terrible idea, better than calling I would say, but whenever you're getting involved in a potentially large pot heads up, you need to be able to have some sort of read on your opponent. It's just too risky, seeing as if he moves, you have to lay it down, with almost 1/3 of your stack now gone.Calling seems problematic for a few reasons. If he has JJ, and the flop is 9 5 3 rainbow, and you come out with a bet, he's going to re-raise you with his Jacks, and then what do you do? You have to assume he's holding AA or KK, and lay it down.Going all-in is not worthy of a response.Shaming me will get you nowhere, as I shame myself on a daily basis. :hand:

if you can't play queens, what can you play?There is a lot of players who would make this raise with jj-77 especially since its going to be heads up. He could be raising with AK AQ AJ A10 as well. Call and decide what to do post flop

I'm gonna lay this one down. Sure folding the third best hand to a relatively small raise compared to your stack isn't super wise
First point....wanna nice set of lawn darts?
if he moves, you have to lay it down
Second point....who made up this rule? You are dominated by TWO possible hands. The raiser made a vast overbet I.E a protection bet. He does not even know what AA KK even look like in this hand. I do NOT like calling my money off, but this hand smells severely of a small PP, Ace rag...alot of hands people will play from the stealing seat. At the absolute worst you are a 60/40 flip against a big overbet. Sometimes you have to decide you have the best of it and gamble....but I seriously doubt you will get an allin to a re-raise....maybe a call, but not an allin. The overbettor fired one shot, you raised, his azz drew up real tight. BTW, look up the odds of playing ANY 2 cards into this pot :D
Calling seems problematic for a few reasons.
Third point...ya friggin think?? A call gains zero information...you are out of position, and ANY non Q flop is disaster....and a probable fold to avoid disaster if you called preflop. You can't bet it because you still don't know where you stand, so ANY flop is scary.
The raiser made a vast overbet I.E a protection bet...
What on earth makes you think this is a vast overbet? He has simply raised the pot...25 SB + 50 BB + 150 raise + 150 for his call = 375raise the pot = 375 + 375 = 750You don't get a more standard raise than that.
If you won't gamble with QQ to an obvious overbet you should take up lawn darts.
If you think that is an over bet I wouldn't be giving away your set of lawn darts... :wink:

folding is utterly ridiculous. calling is the clear choice, you call 600 more, you still have almost 10,000 in chips. maybe he has AA or KK and you flop a Q and win a monster. maybe he has AK and if the A or K flop, you muck and it costs you 700. big deal. I would not re-raise because if you are up against the 2 hands that can beat you, you throw away 2500 cuz if he comes over the top, now you MUST fold. calling to me is by far the clear choice, re-raising only if you have a superior read, and folding, well, qiut poker.

What on earth makes you think this is a vast overbet? He has simply raised the pot...
So, ummmm, you think a 5xreraise equaling a 15xBB preflop bet is NOT an overbet :roll:

i would definitely reraise to 2500. your hand is simply too good to do anything else with. granted, if he moves all in, yes, you fold, but no one can fault you for making a big play with QQ. your hand is too good to fold.the reason i would not call here is simply that i am giving away control of the hand. i would think that he would make this play with TT, JJ, AK, maybe even AQs, and yes of course he'd do it with aces or kings, but he is more likely to have one of these other hands, all of which you can beat. make it 2500 to go, make him have to make a hard decision, and regain control of the pot. fold if he moves all in, and its not really a big deal; you still have like 9k.

maybe you can fold the queens face up after making it 2500 so the table knows you raise than re-raise than muck. :roll: and 10,225-2650 is not 9000. why subject yourself to throwing away 2500? just call and make a read on the flop . whatever.

What on earth makes you think this is a vast overbet? He has simply raised the pot...
So, ummmm, you think a 5xreraise equaling a 15xBB preflop bet is NOT an overbet :roll:
Definately not. This situation is very common at live NL/PL (and online now that UB has a 'raise the pot' button on NL tables)MP raises 3-4 x BB - standardLP reraises, and instead of counting chips and working out some 'correct' amount, simply says 'raise the pot'. Dealer does the math.
Definately not. This situation is very common at live NL/PL (and online now that UB has a 'raise the pot' button on NL tables)MP raises 3-4 x BB - standardLP reraises, and instead of counting chips and working out some 'correct' amount, simply says 'raise the pot'. Dealer does the math.
This is not simply a pot sized raise(which is a common strong raise)...this is a bet of almost 3 times the pot when it got to him.....that is an overbet. An overbet normally signals weakness. Our option in this quiz is about a 1 and 1/2 pot sized bet...very strong, but not a huge overbet.
This is not simply a pot sized raise(which is a common strong raise)...this is a bet of almost 3 times the pot when it got to him.....that is an overbet. An overbet normally signals weakness. Our option in this quiz is about a 1 and 1/2 pot sized bet...very strong, but not a huge overbet.
This is definately a pot sized raise. I showed you the math above. Have you ever played pot limit?

I say call because you don't want to risk his all in re raise off your re raise because you don't know him and I've been robbed plenty of times with QQ. If he had 4000 or less I say All in but in this case just call and see if their is no A or K on flop put out a nice raise or go all in then and hope he haddn't flopped a set chances are he is on 2 over cards or a loww pocket pair because if he had AA or KK he probably would have raised much higher or already whent all in he wants you to call and not fold but he won't have you on qq especially if a queen flops he woud probably have you on AQ or QJ. If Jacks are top card on flop and he bets chances are he has one so then you move him all in and take his juice.

All in.. This is a VERY riskey play, but my logic behind it is that if he is trying to push ace king, ace queen, ace jack.. you want to push him to a decision for all his chips. make him take a gamble, because he is also probable thinking even with ace king, I don't want to gamble. Most likly you will pick up the pot, you will have an advantage to ANY hand other then AA or KK. all in

If you don't have the balls to at least call with pocket Queens then you are not thinking straight. I would definitely quickly call and at least see another card or if I saw a few "tells" might re-raise him.

:roll: I would defenitly call with pocket Q. Theres no doubt in my mind if you fold pocket Q before the flop you need help. There still is a great chance to hit trips or even a fullhouse. So until I now that I don't have the nuts I'm calling

:D I would just call a also. As I would have just slow played my hand anyways. Worst case secnario would be Im up against the bullets or KK's maybe its just a A,Jo and he's capable of setting up a steal . We could ponder this all day long, either way if he's a straight shooter and has the better pockets its not worth it. Imo, I would think its a "Barry Greenstien" and very capable of setting up to steal it. Either way its worth the flop. However, it would be realy nice if this wasnt the first hand into the game. I would have liked to have seen him in a few more hands also but ,just calling I still have a way out depending flop with my hide intact. All I know is im checking afterwards LMAO.If I get a read or he bets and depending what flop was I can still escape with a decent "come back" amount of chips left and I would have learned a whole lot from this hand. This early in the game I wouldnt want to possibly put my whole stack at stake in this much of scary situational hand with a all -in.I just feel that this flop is a must see its rather cheap and not to risky by doing this way this early. :)**** Please let me know if im wrong in my assumption**** :oops:
  • 2 months later...

Re-raise: No reason to go all in at this point with the blinds only at 25 and 50, with the slim possibility that he does have your queens beat. You dont want to just call and let him catch trips with a lessor pair or even hit a flush or straight with because hes got suited high cards. I think you need to put him in a position to loss 25% of his chip stack preflop. If he calls that then you would know if he would be willing to devote all his chips to the pot or not and on the slim chance that he does have you beat you wont loss almost all you chips

• 4 months later...
Well, I'm scared here... 2 hands that can beat me. I guess I would fold here in a lot of instances, depends what the guy LOOKS like. If he's a younger kid or seems to be loose, i'm calling, if he seems to be the tight, quite type I'll fold, no point in risking it.I voted for fold, You have 1/10th of your stack out there in the first limit on what you c0nsider a possible coinflip. There are times where I would call this, for the same reason I stated I'd fold. It IS the first round, and theres time to build your stack back up... really depends on what the player looks like to be honest lol.
playing by stereo type is going to lose you a lot of money.have fun with that.

I'm going to have to disagree with the majority, and even Daniel on this one - I think calling is a bad decision, especially this early on in the tournament when you have no information and a premium hand to boot. The chances that he has either AA or KK are very small - especially considering the overbet of 750 over a bet of 150. If he re-raised to 300, or even 400 it might be a plausibility that he has AA or KK. The over bet probably means that he has a hand like AK, AQ, JJ, 10-10, or MAYBE 9-9 or 8-8. A lower pocket pair is also a possibility with that, but its VERY unlikely, especially if the player who re-raised doesn't know alot about your style of play either. Either way you're most likely a favorite pre-flop. The flat-call does send alot of fear into your opponent's, but I think the most important thing you should be doing since you have very little information on your opponent is to gain more information on him. Re-raising him pre-flop will gain you more information that you can use when you see the flop. I don't think re-raising to 1500 is a good option. Only doubling his bet will often signal to a player that your hand isn't that strong, and that you're not willing to risk alot of chips but you want to take down the pot right then and there. I like the re-raise to 2500 - its the minimum that you can raise while still sending out the message "Don't mess with me". The larger re-raise is even more effective also due to the fact that you only raised a meager 150 first, showing your opponent that you want action for your premium hand, and then confirming that with a significantly larger bet after he re-raised. There is no way your opponent would think you had a weak hand, and it would raise his suspicions that you might have either AA, KK or QQ (most likely he'd think you'd have KK or QQ though). I think this early on in the tournament you want to be sending direct signals to your opponent like that, so you can set them up for deception later on - not to mention you'll probably take down some money because him folding pre-flop would be very likely. Not to mention, if you raise him out preflop, you don't have to play QQ out of position, which can be very tough on the flop when an A or K lands. Also, another bad situation when you smooth call his bet for 750: Let's say the flop comes down all rags lower than jacks. And you bet out 750 out of position with your queens. What do you do if you get re-raised 2000? What about all-in? Those situations will leave you with some dilemnas, and if you fold you'll be down 1500 - potentially with the best hand as well. At least when you re-raise 2500 you'll know more about the strength of your opponent (whether he calls, re-raises, folds or pushes all in) - even enough to check the flop to him (if you feel like it, but I don't reccommend it) and see what he does. If you're play on the flop is excellent, re-raising preflop will allow the precision of your reads to be even better, and it will make it more likely that you can make the correct decision later on.However, if he doesn't fold to your re-raise to 2500, and he just calls it, you know he's probably playing A-K. So if an A or K doesn't flop you're probably in the clear. If he re-raises you all-in, its a direct signal that he either has A-A or K-K, because your signals were so direct to him that you had either K-K or Q-Q. And this is excellent, even though if he does re-raise you all in you would have lost 2500 - but thats not that bad, you'll have lots of time to win it back with good blind structures like that. It sure beats the fact that if he's holding A-A or K-K, and the flop comes down rag-rag-rag all lower than jacks and he moves you all in. Then what do you do? He could just have J-J thinking you have A-K. Or he could have A-A thinking you have something like J-J or better. Infact, there are so many situations that can come on the flop when you smooth call with no information on your oppoenent that will be terrible for you, and will allow you to bust out nice and early.Flat calling the 750 will show you some dilemnas, especially if he does have A-A or K-K. It will save you however, if he's holding A-K or or A-Q and an ace comes on the flop. That will save you 1750 in chips. So, by calling you're sacrificing many potential situations where you could have won some chips and setting yourself up for several situations where you might bust out of the tournament, for one specific situation where you might lose 2500 in chips, instead of just 750. I think the re-raise is by far the best play here.

Announcements