Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

I just had my first class in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu tonight. It was simply incredible. I had so much fun, and even though I've been heroically lazy of late was able to keep up because I enjoyed it so much.Anyone else into BJJ?
they're prolly waiting to kick your ass_at the next class

My only advice is this:Don't get too cocky with your instructor. Whatever he teaches you in the first year is less than 10% of the ways he knows how to make you sorry. My brother found this out the hard way when he was the first volunteer to go full contact...Armbars are fun, always a good time to bend body parts in ways they aren't meant to.

My only advice is this:Don't get too cocky with your instructor. Whatever he teaches you in the first year is less than 10% of the ways he knows how to make you sorry. My brother found this out the hard way when he was the first volunteer to go full contact...Armbars are fun, always a good time to bend body parts in ways they aren't meant to.
I have no intention of that happening. Here's an interview from my instructor...Shawn Alvarez

studied a good bit of BJJ, but I prefer gi-less grappling, namely submission wrestling a la Erik Paulson. Lot of the stuff is similar of course. I tend to use a rubber guard as well, with the flexiblity in my legs. Not something I really learned from Eddie Bravo's popularization of it, always remember doing it back from wrestling my older brother many years ago. You're in NY?

studied a good bit of BJJ, but I prefer gi-less grappling, namely submission wrestling a la Erik Paulson. Lot of the stuff is similar of course. I tend to use a rubber guard as well, with the flexiblity in my legs. Not something I really learned from Eddie Bravo's popularization of it, always remember doing it back from wrestling my older brother many years ago. You're in NY?
Where I'm going, three nights a week are labled "Kimono", and two nights are "No-Gi". For now I'm going to start with the "No-Gi" nights. If I decide I want to add more nights, I'll do so and spring for the gi.I'm in Westchester.

just got back from some no-gi training. really amazing session. Man it felt good to be back on the mat.Gi would've helped me tonight, I had a good grip on a guy's collar but promtply shredded his shirt and lost the choke.

I'm so looking forward to tommorrow - well later tonight.The warm-up itself is incredible. As someone who's an experienced consumer of phyiscal therapy, and used to do over an hour of stretches a day just to be able to survive college lacrosse practice, I was amazed at the flexibility training that's included in the warm-ups.As for my first day, I did tap twice, but then again we didn't spar.For the more experienced, does this sound like a good beginner program (although I - in effect - stayed through parts of the intermediate session).Warm up/FlexibilityFalls/SprawlsShoot/Sprawl EscapesGuard/Gaurd PassingI did not spar, and will not spar anytime in the near future. I did however get the chance to watch Shawn spar with a guy who was obviously the "star" student in attendance. THAT WAS SWEET!!!!

Right - O.Obviously going at your own speed is a good thing. But the guys who you'd roll with will be more than helpful to you, and will push you a little more - but you'll love it!Everyone will understand that you aren't the greatest, and it isn't expected, so they aren't going to shred you up on the first roll. Everyone has to start somewhere, and they realize this. Lots of respect and class, don't be afraid to make a fool of yourself. Just don't fart in the guard.

Where I'm going, three nights a week are labled "Kimono", and two nights are "No-Gi". For now I'm going to start with the "No-Gi" nights. If I decide I want to add more nights, I'll do so and spring for the gi.I'm in Westchester.
I think that u should do one Gi night and one no gi night. Being familiar with a gi is good for using other techniques in no gi situations
I think that u should do one Gi night and one no gi night. Being familiar with a gi is good for using other techniques in no gi situations
I'm going to eventually start doing Gi training when I go to three days a week. For now I can only handle two. I was still sore from Tuesday's session tonight and could tell that it had an impact on my performance. Before the other night, my last serious athletic activity was a roller-hockey game that took place between Christmas and New Years. Before that, it was something like a roller-hockey game in September.For the first two weeks, I'm going to do my two times a week exclusively. Then, I plan on adding two days of weights/cardio. Eventually, I hope to go to at least three days with weights/cardio added appropriately.Tonight, was cool. I was put in a choke for the first (and second) time. I tapped quickly, but thought about letting myself get choked out. I doubt that even if I didn't tap I would have been since Shawn was doing the choking, but I would have liked to have gotten the experience out of the way.KDawg, could you elaborate on why I should do one Kimono session, and one no-Gi, instead of my current two no-Gi?

gi work helps with your fundamentals and incremental movements. You also have to realize, unless you inted to be a full contact fighter, if you ever end up on the ground in a street fight, your assailant will likely be wearing clothes. Hence, the gi. Gives you a sense of what to grab: collar, pant leg, lapel, sleeve, etc.I am partial to no-gi because you really have to be precise with your movements when the guy is sweating and you have fewer holds. With a gi, you can use your own against the opponent to catalyze techniques as well. Chokes and submissions that come easy with a gi prove far more difficult without. I also like some of the variations that no-gi allows. And I'm the sort who, whenever I learn a move, I immediately start looking for its flaws/different applications. BJJ can be more traditional/pedagogal.

gi work helps with your fundamentals and incremental movements. You also have to realize, unless you inted to be a full contact fighter, if you ever end up on the ground in a street fight, your assailant will likely be wearing clothes. Hence, the gi. Gives you a sense of what to grab: collar, pant leg, lapel, sleeve, etc.I am partial to no-gi because you really have to be precise with your movements when the guy is sweating and you have fewer holds. With a gi, you can use your own against the opponent to catalyze techniques as well. Chokes and submissions that come easy with a gi prove far more difficult without. I also like some of the variations that no-gi allows. And I'm the sort who, whenever I learn a move, I immediately start looking for its flaws/different applications. BJJ can be more traditional/pedagogal.
big +1 to this, and I'd also say that doing gi work may just allow you to do some sparring sooner due to the fact that the gi itself will soak up some of the sweat. I fully agree though that tradition BJJ can be stuck in its ways. The whole training from the knees came about because of the fact that there'd be so many students in a dojo in rio or sao paolo so as to fit them all in, they'd start sparring off on the knees(which in of itself can be good for real life techniques). As a general preference I will always favor non gi work, but for starting out, learning gi work is good for fundementals and just to have that background. Look at Nogeruia's anaconda choke that he uses in pride. that is essentially a north south gi choke that he has adapted to no gi MMA. When I saw him first pull that one off, I popped like no tommorrow because I had yet seen someone adapt gi work to no gi situations. What you may love(but its hard to get your hands on them) is the ADCC DVDs. I have a couple from like 99 or 00 and I guard them with my life, but that is great non gi work, and I know that NAGA gets done a lot around our area every now and then(i think they are normally in bayonne NJ) and those are fun to watch. I'm rambling and a bit drunk right now, so I'll just stop :club:

yeah I've downloaded some of the more recent ADCC fights online, but I'd like to view those slightly older contests.In the other thread, I was commenting that someone like a Jeff Monson, a remarkably skilled athlete, gets no real recognition from the newer MMA audience. And also how lucky the UFC Season 3 guys are to work with Dean Lister. Man, I was working on a nasty choke/crank from the mount the other night. Involves a lot of pressure (naturally) into the collarbone region. Area is still painfully sensitive to the touch, but what a damn good move.

In the other thread, I was commenting that someone like a Jeff Monson, a remarkably skilled athlete, gets no real recognition from the newer MMA audience. And also how lucky the UFC Season 3 guys are to work with Dean Lister.
when I saw that Tito brought in Lister as a coach, I just thought, damn, those guys don't realize how damn lucky they are to work with one of the best HW submission guys. I don't know why on earth shamrock brought in the guy he did, I was kinda surprised that a guy like Pete Williams or Guy Mezger wasn't brought in for the submission work
big +1 to this, and I'd also say that doing gi work may just allow you to do some sparring sooner due to the fact that the gi itself will soak up some of the sweat.
It's funny that you should mention this. I was working from the guard with a much more experienced student, and I was doing great in my guard - until the sweat on my ankles caused me to lose my lock.I can't wait until Tuesday!That said, I'm coming off one of the crappiest nights of my life. My mother told me, "There's something wrong with your father." I get there and he's got a fever and shaking. I drive him and my mother to the ER. I'm stuck in the waiting room with nothing to do, so I start doing my BJJ warm-up exercises just to pass the time. I must have looked like a freak, but I needed something to calm my mind.It looks like he'll be all right, but I'm still drinking like an all-star.
lol @ doing the "duck walk" down the hospital hallway.
I didn't "duck walk", I just did hand/wrist/fingers, and ankle/toe/foot exercises while sitting in the waiting room.I'm just psyched that I learned my first choke earlier tonight.l

Been practicing BJJ and competing in MMA for a little over 2 years total. There is no sport like it in the world and its like poker in a sense, the more you think you've accomplished, the more you really need to learn. I really think that BJJ is the most complete "practical" martial art for lifelike situations. Goodluck in your experience.

BJJ and grappling arts are essential in my book, as I've made clear. I adore them.Bear this in mind, however. Things that look optimal in a padded gym don't always translate to the street. As comfortable as I am on the ground, I really don't want to drag a guy down into a potentially glass-laden street or alley where I can possibly be pummeled by his friends. Standup is not dead gents.