Baseball Trivia

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony Cipriani?From the Sopranos??He left ball for organized crime?
Conigliaro (sp?) Great young player in the 60s (I think) who had his career ended very early by a pitch to the face.Okay what pitcher holds the record for BOTH single-season and career adjusted ERA+? ERA+ is park-adjusted and adjusted in relation to league average.

I think Bob Gibson's right. Walter Johnson used to have a 1.09 ERA (vs. Gibson's 1.12), but they uncovered a game a the end of the season where he was purposely grooving some pitches (so they say) and it raised his ERA for the season to 1.14.

I think Bob Gibson's right. Walter Johnson used to have a 1.09 ERA (vs. Gibson's 1.12), but they uncovered a game a the end of the season where he was purposely grooving some pitches (so they say) and it raised his ERA for the season to 1.14.
No this is ERA+, ERA in relation to league average.

Alright, time for a tougher one to start the day.Who was the first NL player to hit a home run in a regular season game as a DH?

Alright, time for a tougher one to start the day.Who was the first NL player to hit a home run in a regular season game as a DH?
Damn that is a tough one. So this is Interleague play then, I gather. Lets sayyyyyyyyyyyy................****it, Barry Bonds. Who is more likely to hit one than Barry?The answer to my question about the leader in single-season and career adjusted ERA+ was Pedro. His career ERA+ is an amazing 11% higher than 2nd place. God I miss that guy.
I know Rich Aurilia was the first to hit a home run in interleague play, and if I remember correctly, he was still with the Giants at the time. But he might have been playing his usual SS and not hitting in the DH spot.Aurilia's my guess.
I remember the very first interleague game..I think it was San Francisco at Texas...and I think the first homer was hit by Stan Javier...don't know if that is right or if he was the DH...but I'll guess him.Stan Javier.

All right, so my memory's off. The first DH for the Padres that comes to mind is Rickey Henderson. Didn't hit a ton of home runs, but he'll be my next guess anyway.

I know Rich Aurilia was the first to hit a home run in interleague play, and if I remember correctly, he was still with the Giants at the time. But he might have been playing his usual SS and not hitting in the DH spot.Aurilia's my guess.
This is not the answer to the question posed, but the first home run hit in interleague play was hit by Stan Javier of the Giants...not Aurilia. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores...id=199706120TEX
This is not the answer to the question posed, but the first home run hit in interleague play was hit by Stan Javier of the Giants...not Aurilia. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores...id=199706120TEX
Yeah, like I said in my last post, obviously I'm thinking of the wrong thing.
All right, so my memory's off. The first DH for the Padres that comes to mind is Rickey Henderson. Didn't hit a ton of home runs, but he'll be my next guess anyway.
Good work. You're up.

Huh. Surprised that was right.I'm hoping this factoid is still true, so I'll ask the question and we'll see. Back to pitchers now.What pitcher had the most wins in a career without appearing in a World Series?No hints just yet, but I've got a couple ready.

Huh. Surprised that was right.I'm hoping this factoid is still true, so I'll ask the question and we'll see. Back to pitchers now.What pitcher had the most wins in a career without appearing in a World Series?No hints just yet, but I've got a couple ready.
I am lost on this one.

For some reason Nolan Ryan stood out in my mind, but I looked it up and apparently he made a relief appearance for the '69 Mets. Never started a World Series Game in his career though...

For some reason Nolan Ryan stood out in my mind, but I looked it up and apparently he made a relief appearance for the '69 Mets. Never started a World Series Game in his career though...
That was my first thought too, then I thought about Cy Young, but he appeared in the first modern World Series in 1903.
Gayulord Perry? or maybe the Niekro who did not pitch for the Twinkies in 87.
That's right. Ol' knuckleballer Phil Niekro, with 318 wins and no World Series games.You're up.