Luck... Is It A Factor?

Obviously there is luck in poker, but I am wondering how much luck would you say is involved with tournament poker in general? Recently, I have been consistently getting into the top 20-15%, as we know, usually the top 10% pays. I recently took second in a 90 man sit n go when I started getting some great hands, then got sucked out on heads up.I was also wondering some of everyones tournament results. How often do you cash? What percentage do you feel towards the end of the tournaments are luck?Thanks guys/gals.

Not this again. It all depends on the sample size. If you're talking infinite, then luck has no impact. If you're talking a single event, luck is the only factor. Everything else is shades of grey.

Not this again. It all depends on the sample size. If you're talking infinite, then luck has no impact. If you're talking a single event, luck is the only factor. Everything else is shades of grey.
This would be a good description if you didn't deal in absolutes.

Luck is overwhelmingly the biggest factor compared to skill, but skill gives you an enormous edge.Here is a good exerpt from an article on gambling law and why - at least in a legal sense - poker is considered more of a game of chance than one of skill:

For the time being, however, the law is such that poker is not a game in which the elements of skill predominate over chance. The time frame over which the elements that constitute skill in poker work to allow the more skilled player to “obtain more frequent rewards” is both uncertain and too lengthy.Consider that on any one hand of poker it cannot seriously be contended that skill outweighs chance. Also, the results of any given session of poker (one night, one tournament, etc.) are not likely to be determined based on the preponderant skill of any given player. Perhaps the result of playing many sessions for a whole year is indicative of skill predominating over chance. But, perhaps not. Poker "player of the year" awards have become popular over the past few years. No one has ever repeated as the winner from one year to the next. Indeed few repeat in the top ten of those lists from one year to the next.
You can read the full article here. Mandelbrot