Woe Canada...

So what the hell? No North American teams in the semifinals? I expected the US to flop (everyone did, it's a rebuilding year) but I honestly can't believe that Canada is out of the medals. It just amazes me that all the talent on that team couldn't manage to put up a decent showing. Granted, I didn't see any of their games (or any of the hockey games, period...stupid time zone differences) but I can't imagine that Nabokov was really that spectacular, was he?In any event, for how great that Canadian team should have been, I'm really disappointed that they couldn't get further than the Quarterfinals. Both the Gold and Silver medal teams from Salt Lake fail to medal in Torino, you just have to throw your hands up and say WTF?

There were several names on their roster that should've never been there, and several people who were left out that shouldn't have been.Regardless, I still thought they would go into the medals this year.

Granted, I didn't see any of their games (or any of the hockey games, period...stupid time zone differences) but I can't imagine that Nabokov was really that spectacular, was he?
I think he has three straight shutouts now, but I'm not entirely sure. He has been playing particularly well.The real question is: where in the hell did he come from all of a sudden? Did someone tell Nabokov it was 2001 again?(NOTE: Yes, I know Evgeny had a solid year before the lockout, but I'm still bitter about his 02-03 performance.)
I think he has three straight shutouts now, but I'm not entirely sure. He has been playing particularly well.The real question is: where in the hell did he come from all of a sudden? Did someone tell Nabokov it was 2001 again?(NOTE: Yes, I know Evgeny had a solid year before the lockout, but I'm still bitter about his 02-03 performance.)
Nabby only played the first period against the US, but I'm almost certain they scored on him. I think the fact that he's playing well in San Jose has a lot to to with the fact that he's replaceable there. They're never had high quality backups before now.

3 wordsStaal, Crosby, Spezza. Look what these three are doing this year they are young and hungry. Spezza playing with Heatly would have been a no brainer. Plus the other teams are no slouches Russia, Finland, Czech, and Sweden are all great teams.

He was scored on vs the US in the final preliminary when he played one period. Has stopped 88 of 90 shots. But yea I know, he better pack up some of those shutouts and bring them home with him! Nabby runs hot and cold for the Sharks and it's so frustrating. Watching him leave the net vs Canada I was sure they were going to catch him out of position after he gives it away trying to clear like he's been doing all season for the Sharks. He's probably more well rested because of that because Ron Wilson benched him for the three games leading up to the break because he wouldn't listen to the coaches instructing him on when to handle the puck. Seems like he alternates years so next year he should be spectacular.Malkin is suspended but if Nabby keeps playing like this Russia will keep rolling.
What did Malkin get suspended for? I must have missed that (we're talking about Evgeni Malkin, right?)
Yeah he was suspended for yesterday's "kicking" incident. Nabby sprawled on the ice making a save late in the third and Lecavalier was in the crease looking for a rebound and Malkin in front of the ref skates up and kicks his right leg up and knees Vinny in the stomach and wraps him up UFC style with his arm around his head and everything. Suspended against Finland. Someone at the Hockey Forums posted it up if it still works: http://rapidshare.de/files/13905158/malkin...valier.avi.html
What did Malkin get suspended for? I must have missed that (we're talking about Evgeni Malkin, right?)
The Russians will go forward without Pittsburgh Penguins prospect Evgeni Malkin, who was suspended for the game against Finland after being assessed a match penalty for attempting to kick Canada's Vincent Lecavalier.
Malkin attempted to kick Lecavelier at the end of the game.Canada had a lot of problems, it is hard to pinpoint just one. The outlet passing was brutal from the defenceman (compared to the other elite teams). As a result, the forwards never recieved the puck with speed. The only time Canada got in the opposition zone was on dump ins, they never got any chances off the rush.Pronger, Mcabe and Bertuzzi all took multiple bad penalties. Bertuzzi's lead to the gwg for the Russians.Another problem was that Quinn stuck with a few players for too long. Pronger and Iginla were two players that got a lot of ice time despite struggling. Redden looked like our best defenceman, but he hardly got any ice time. A line of Sakic - Gagne - Heatley may have done something (Heatley had an awesome third period against Russia).All in all, Canada just never got rolling.
Watching him leave the net vs Canada I was sure they were going to catch him out of position after he gives it away trying to clear like he's been doing all season for the Sharks. He's probably more well rested because of that because Ron Wilson benched him for the three games leading up to the break because he wouldn't listen to the coaches instructing him on when to handle the puck.
And you'd think that'd be less of a problem this season with the new zone goalies can't handle the puck in. Huh.Maybe his play in the Olympics + the three-game benching will light a fire under him for the rest of the season.
How'd your team do?
exactly the same, but the thing is we know we suck at hockey, and we dont give a crap about hockey, our country isnt in national mourning after getting our asses kicked in our national past time
exactly the same, but the thing is we know we suck at hockey, and we dont give a crap about hockey, our country isnt in national mourning after getting our asses kicked in our national past time
We're not in mourning either. We're good at the sport but not so arrogant that we think we're going to win every time.And if you don't "give a crap about hockey" why are you posting in the hockey forum?