how to act like a pro

Somewhat off-topic, but:My first time in a real card room (internet geek here), I was cleaning up a $2/4 table (Imperial Palace in Vegas).An Iranian guy asks me, "Where are you from, my friend?" Being of Iranian decent, I'm sure he figured I had some relation to Iran.I said, "I'm from here.""Ahh, I knew it. I've played with you before. I've seen you at all the other card rooms.""You sure about that, buddy?" :D Twenty minutes later, a new player, an Arab, asks me where I'm from..."Here, why?""I was just wondering.""You're the second person that's asked me that tonight.""What can I say? You're a good looking guy?""Uhhhh...I think I'll cash out now." :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you should of took em for all he had...a couple winks here and there.  toss your hair a bit.  and the ever so annoying "he he heh ehe he" in a high pitched voice.
No way, man! He threw my mental frame of thought outta whack, and when that happens, it's time to leave! :wink: I saw the Arab at the Mirage a few days later...while I played $3/6, he watched on the sidelines...musta gone broke or something :D

"If they tell you they read that book, say you were there when it happened" LMAO!!!Also loved the Floorman one... Lets get John over here.... (ehem...Annie). LOL!How about a classic Dan Harrington line... You go to a new table, introduce yourself to the new player you don't know.. and say "I don't know you, what's your name? Well hello (name)...I'm (name)... I already know everyone else at the table (pause). They've all check-raised me a number of times." I love that one!

An Iranian guy asks me, "Where are you from, my friend?" Being of Iranian decent, I'm sure he figured I had some relation to Iran.
An Iranian asks you where you are from (you are of Iranian decent, remember) and you go on to joke that he might be gay??!What is your problem? Why didn't you tell him you are Iranian? Is that not cool, to be Iranian?I'm partly joking...For future reference: when Hungarians, Arabs, Senegalese, etc., spot people who look like their countrymen/ women they enjoy saying hello. There is no need to call the Dept of Homeland Security.Anyway, this thread was starting to irritate me until I read that bit about the Oreo cookie. What get's coffee out of cotton?Go easy on the new poker cowboys; half of these doodz are the one's making your bank; the other half will be the ones to watch out for in a few years. Things are looking up from both sides of the coin.ps: I don't wear a ball-cap or shades. Just rented Rounders; only two and half stars. When I played low limits for my hostel fee, vegetarian meals and daily deposit toward a bankroll I never once revealed this delightful fact to anyone. Oh, and hello to everyone!
An Iranian guy asks me, "Where are you from, my friend?" Being of Iranian decent, I'm sure he figured I had some relation to Iran.
An Iranian asks you where you are from (you are of Iranian decent, remember) and you go on to joke that he might be gay??!What is your problem? Why didn't you tell him you are Iranian? Is that not cool, to be Iranian?I'm partly joking...For future reference: when Hungarians, Arabs, Senegalese, etc., spot people who look like their countrymen/ women they enjoy saying hello. There is no need to call the Dept of Homeland Security.Anyway, this thread was starting to irritate me until I read that bit about the Oreo cookie. What get's coffee out of cotton?Go easy on the new poker cowboys; half of these doodz are the one's making your bank; the other half will be the ones to watch out for in a few years. Things are looking up from both sides of the coin.ps: I don't wear a ball-cap or shades. Just rented Rounders; only two and half stars. When I played low limits for my hostel fee, vegetarian meals and daily deposit toward a bankroll I never once revealed this delightful fact to anyone. Oh, and hello to everyone!
No no...I'm only of Iranian decent...I was born and raised in Vegas :wink:
No no...I'm only of Iranian decent...I was born and raised in Vegas
Aha. I knew there were subtleties; aren't there always? :wink: Leaving off what it must do to a person to be "born and raised in Vegas", I should point out there are distinctions to be made. In Canada we have a multicultural society which differs a great deal from the USian "melting pot" culture. Kidding you about the Vegas crack, btw.
No no...I'm only of Iranian decent...I was born and raised in Vegas
Aha. I knew there were subtleties; aren't there always? :wink: Leaving off what it must do to a person to be "born and raised in Vegas", I should point out there are distinctions to be made. In Canada we have a multicultural society which differs a great deal from the USian "melting pot" culture. Kidding you about the Vegas crack, btw.
Well, I live in Indianapolis now...what does that make me now? :shock: :D

speaking of which...i just got my christmas gift from my brother today....he got me an ipod. the card said " so you can be like one of those professional poker players."HAHAHAHHA :D

For some reason I have a feeling that a real Pro would not post on a forum unless if the forum resided on their own website. Anyone agree? :D
ummm...hmm can u expand their... i'm blonde today...sorry
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
For some reason I have a feeling that a real Pro would not post on a forum unless if the forum resided on their own website. Anyone agree? :club:
this is not true, Jennifer Harman and a few other pros post on here sometimes.