% of hands played

Just like all new players, i think I am playing far to many hands. I play on pokerstars and after I play for awhile I look at my stats and see that I usually play anywhere between 35-40% of hands dealt. I have a feeling this is far to many.My question....considering that cards even out over a session, what is an average percentage of hands that I should be playing per session?

If you're getting stats from the site and they're showing you something like % flops seen you're getting a number that may be inaccurate. The better number is VP$IP which excludes times you check in the BB. In some passive games you get a free flop nearly every round.And as already mentioned you need a LOT more than a couple hundred hands to judge your VP$IP. My VP$IP is right around 20 but I've had sessions as low as 8% and as high as 45%.If your VP$IP is always that high you are seeing too many flops. Without knowing more I'd guess that you should probably stop playing small offsuit broadways from early position - it seems to be the most common pre-flop leak.

I dont think one session is enough to judge if you are too loose/tight. Can we get a few thousand hands?
Looking at PT I have played 38% of hands that have been dealt to me.
If you are VP$IP at 38% after a few thousand hands, you are too loose IMO.
Guest Zach6668
I dont think one session is enough to judge if you are too loose/tight. Can we get a few thousand hands?
Looking at PT I have played 38% of hands that have been dealt to me.
If you are VP$IP at 38% after a few thousand hands, you are too loose IMO.
WAY too loose. Unless you have had an UNREAL run of cards.

better to paly too many than not enough when you start out.if its not costing you much money, keep practicing and seeing which hand groups are not working out.of course there are standards, but nothing wrong with experimenting as you get feet wet and find out for yourself why limping with Q9 off suit is bad.

I tend to have the same problem . I have been tightening by only entering if I can raise or if there are multiple limpers already in. It can be hard to ignore the idiots who win with their 85 suited, but sticking to what you know is really a good starting hand and not what looks interesting if you get the perfect flop really does help. Your results have been good at really low levels, but this can be deceiving. If you see 38 % when the table is seeing 58 %, you can still come out ahead. If the table is down to 40 % or less, it's easy to get in trouble.Keep up the good work. Listening to these guys has helped me a lot. Even though I battle with being aggressive enough, reading the explanations of people who play better is helping to inch in the right direction