Nope. I'm pretty sure you realize you aren't even considering the fact you can't make absolute statements without absolute knowledge. You do understand that, right?
There is a magical three headed horse that cruises through the universe devouring planets.Is it unreasonable to say im wrong?Or how about this.Are you close enough to being certain that im wrong that entertaining the possibility of me being right is pointless? I dont think anyone will say that it's completely absurd to entertain the notion of a god. Most "atheists" just think that it's so unlikely that they dont need to put it up there on a list of truths they view as probable.
Heres the thing with this kind of argument. It was what woudl be called a "brain in a vat argument." You can make this statemen and u might even believe its true. But now the burden is on your to prove it exists which you cannot prove therefore the argument is not logical.
therefore, it's not logical for you to argue that god knocked up a virgin and we're all cousins from adam and eve because you can't prove it.
  • Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres the thing with this kind of argument. It was what woudl be called a "brain in a vat argument." You can make this statemen and u might even believe its true. But now the burden is on your to prove it exists which you cannot prove therefore the argument is not logical.
Uhm, i hate to rob you of your thunder, but that's the point. There's a burden of proof on someone who makes that sort of a claim.Hence the analogy.I thought it was pretty obvious. *shrug*I'm not arguing that there's a three headed horse out there.
Nope. I'm pretty sure you realize you aren't even considering the fact you can't make absolute statements without absolute knowledge. You do understand that, right?
There is a magical three headed horse that cruises through the universe devouring planets.Is it unreasonable to say im wrong?Or how about this.Are you close enough to being certain that im wrong that entertaining the possibility of me being right is pointless? I dont think anyone will say that it's completely absurd to entertain the notion of a god. Most "atheists" just think that it's so unlikely that they dont need to put it up there on a list of truths they view as probable.
therefore, it's not logical for you to argue that god knocked up a virgin and we're all cousins from adam and eve because you can't prove it.
thanks for the well thought out post
Uhm, i hate to rob you of your thunder, but that's the point. There's a burden of proof on someone who makes that sort of a claim.Hence the analogy.I thought it was pretty obvious. *shrug*I'm not arguing that there's a three headed horse out there.
wasnt saying you did believe that a 3 headed horse existed...but i was just showing how logically it can be proven it doesnt exist thats all...
what is there t othink out? you say someone else is wrong because it can't be proven, but you're right although it can't be proven.is there a fundamental difference i'm missing here?
wasnt saying you did believe that a 3 headed horse existed...but i was just showing how logically it can be proven it doesnt exist thats all...
logically it can be proven that noah didn't build a big ass ark and put two of every animal on earth on it, too.did he have dinosaurs on the ark?
what is there t othink out? you say someone else is wrong because it can't be proven, but you're right although it can't be proven.is there a fundamental difference i'm missing here?
short answer is yes...im tired and i dont feel like explaining it...take a look at the philosophy definition of knowledge and you will understand...Ill even give you a hint. See what Philosophy says about Justified True Belief as it applies to knowledge...Good luck
short answer is yes...im tired and i dont feel like explaining it...take a look at the philosophy definition of knowledge and you will understand...Ill even give you a hint. See what Philosophy says about Justified True Belief as it applies to knowledge...Good luck
the ONLY CLAIM you can have to being "more right" about the christian god being the true deity as opposed to a three headed unicorn is that more people accept your belief, which brings us to "if everybody jumped off a bridge....."i still say the universe was created by massive rabbits having anal sex. prove me wrong.
there is no god.
F'd your P.
You do realize, that to be able to make such a claim, allin, you need to have absolute knowledge, which you do not. To be able to say "there is no god" you have to have complete knowledge of everything.You don't have that knowledge, thus your statement is foolish.
and you making an absolute statement of "there is a god" is equally foolish.
Where did he claim any such thing?
Look, I'm not going to go on with this, Pupsta. Here's why:You are not seeking knowledge. You are prideful. However, I am not completely unreachable.If you want to learn how not to go to hell, you can always private message me and I will respond in complete sincerity with the most important news you could ever hear.Have a good one,Guinevar
you're right, i'm not seeking knowledge from you.no human being on this planet has the knowledge of the afterlife. you don't know until you GET to the afterlife. seeking knowledge from you or from pastor bob or reverend joe is like asking stevie wonder to read a map of oshkosh and give me directions.i know exactly how i can avoid hell. i can die. that'll put me 6 feet into the ground, not in some fiery pit.
By your own argument, you can't possibly know that this is a true statement. Since YOU have no idea 'until you GET to the afterlife", you're doing the same thing you're ripping guinevar for doing.
no human being on this planet has the knowledge of the afterlife. you don't know until you GET to the afterlife. seeking knowledge from you or from pastor bob or reverend joe is like asking stevie wonder to read a map of oshkosh and give me directions.
Although I disagree with pretty much everything you say, and HOW you say it, this was a funny comment.... well done.
there is no god.
F'd your P.
You do realize, that to be able to make such a claim, allin, you need to have absolute knowledge, which you do not. To be able to say "there is no god" you have to have complete knowledge of everything.You don't have that knowledge, thus your statement is foolish.
Look back a page. He said he has proof. :club:
there is no god.
F'd your P.
Look back a page. He said he has proof. :club:
My bad. Thanks for the correction.

NO ONE CARES ABOUT JESUS, OR NOAH'S ARK OR ADAM AND EVE or any of that junk...well, not that they don't care about it, but that it really isn't the point of religion.I really don't have anything to back this statement up, but I really doubt that many religious people say that there have 100% been no errors in copying and recopying the bible over the millenia; or that nothing that happened in the bible is subject to human interpretation (/paul does not equal god).The point of religion isn't to question whether or not Noah had dinosaurs on his ark (BTW when I was 5, I asked and my rabbi said that Noah did...) The point is to feel connected to god.Furthermore, for anyone who questions whether 2+2=4, read principia mathematica by bertrand russel. Mathematics is an extension of logic. Whether or not logic is "right" (whatever that statement means...) is up to you.As a side note, though I'm not religious, I think that people who hate on religious people really have a problem. If religion makes a person happy, and doesn't harm anyone around them then I see it as a good thing. DN isn't trying to convert anyone, and I doubt he cares if you're a christian or not, so I really don't see why you have a problem with it OP.BTW jewish people are better than everyone else....no really. it's true... :-)

The ironic part of all the arguing between people yelling at each other, "there is a hell!! And you're going to it because you don't believe in Jesus!!" "No there isn't!! And I'm not going anywhere because none of it exists!!" is that it doesn't really matter what you believe as long as you have faith.Let me show you something, direct from Dictionary.com:Faith: (n)1) Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing. 2)Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. 3) Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with one's supporters. 4)The body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith. 5)A set of principles or beliefsNow let me explain why arguing over religion between an athiest and a faithful christian doesn't do any good.FACT: People are going to believe what they want to believe. You can't use a book or tales of mystical, mythcal, miracles (I always love alliteration, just call me Jesse Jackson), to convert someone into believe what you believe simply because you tell them too.FACT: We are born with free will. I personally have choosen to believe that while that yes, there is a higher power at work, I'm not sure what it is and I'm probably not meant to understand it. If I say, OK, I understand there is a God as you say there is, now can you prove he exists to me? You really can't give me cold hard scientific proof that God exists. AND THAT'S OK. I mean, if it wasn't, what would be the point of calling it faith? You can argue all day long that the proof of God is in the Bible, or through miracles that were performed thousands of years ago, but it still remains that no verifiable source remains to prove that point.FACT: Christianity, the Muslim faith, Buddaism (ignore me if I don't spell everything correctly), Hinduism, along with every other major religion is simply Man's attempt to see God or something meaningful/spriritual in his/her life. If God is really all-knowing and all-powerful, with our admittedly limited intellect, we SHOULD'NT be able to understand God. People can study the bible all they want, but unless they have that faith, there really is no reason to sit and try to convince them how they're going to hell where they will be punished for their hubris. (Dictionary.com strikes again! :club: )It's ok if no one wants to believe in God. It's also OK if you want to believe in God. Making any absolutes when talking about religion is generally a bad idea because you probably won't have cold hard proof (which is so coveted these days by our society) to back up your claims. I'm not saying don't try to spread your word of God, just don't be mad if someone doesn't accept it. If you're thinking that arguing about Creationism Vs. Darwinism for three hours is going to change his outlook, then you're not going to get very far. Let people have their ideas and simply expose them to yours. Don't argue, just expose them to your ideas. I think you'll get a lot farther.

FACT: We are born with free will.
Fact eh...? seems more like something you take on faith. Not necessarily saying that it isn't so, but you can't prove it (I'm not sure one could even give a particularly good argument for it).
No. You havent.You've lonly proven that i have no evidence to believe that there exists a three headed horse.And there's that same inability to disprove the existence of a god for the same reasons.It's unfalsifiable.

"For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted and I should heal them." - Matthew 13:15

Christianity is a religion that could be disproved if it were wrong. The Bible makes many scientific claims that have been proven right. Look into it.
Could you be more specific, please? I'm actually curious.
FACT: We are born with free will.
Fact eh...? seems more like something you take on faith. Not necessarily saying that it isn't so, but you can't prove it (I'm not sure one could even give a particularly good argument for it).
Showing someone that you're born with free will is as easy as getting breakfast in the morning.1) In one senario, where our hero has free will, he wakes up hungry. Lookin to get rid of his hankering for food, he goes to his kitchen where a smogasborg awaits him. Does he have the cereal? Or does he opt for eggs sunny side up with a side of bacon?2) In our other senario, our hero has no free will. He is forced through the will of God to everyday eat two scrambled eggs with sausage. He can't go to McDonalds and try out that Egg McMuffin, he can't eat just a piece of toast and won't ever know the wonder that is a pop tart. My point is, if God wanted to (as he is all powerful) he could make us love Him unconditionally, no matter what. Instead He decided to let us choose Him or choose to believe in something else, whatever that faith may be. Seems easy enough, or maybe I missed your point?
If i was to die tomorrow and be faced with my creator, it seems more plausible that we'd be having a good laugh at people insane enough to be certain of his or her existence than it is that i'd be condemned to hell.
Excellent view!IT'S FINALLY HERE, THE TOURNAMENT YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR. GO TO FCP, AND UNDER "PRIVATE" TOURNAMENTS YOU'LL FIND IT. Cost: $10 Max. Participants: 50Tournament Name: " Gods Balls" Time: 7 PM tonight ( 10 PM on FCP eastern time)Remember: If you love "God", and you win, then I'll admit, "He" exists. But, since "Divine" intervention is unlikely, I will win, thus proving that "God" does not exist once and for all!
the ONLY CLAIM you can have to being "more right" about the christian god being the true deity as opposed to a three headed unicorn is that more people accept your belief, which brings us to "if everybody jumped off a bridge....."i still say the universe was created by massive rabbits having anal sex. prove me wrong.
2 simple words...prove it u cant therefore it isnt logical nice try though