1) it created itself(big bang)but something cannot come from nothing and if there was nothing in the beginning' date=' there would be no volatile gases to create an explosion.2) the universe is eternalno, it would eventually die of heat loss.[/quote']What a great understanding of Big Bang theory and Cosmology. There were no volatile gases at the big bang, true, but that's because the concept of gas, or molecules really for that matter, didn't really exist until long after the big bang (long, of course being a relative term).Also, as to number two, the universe dying of heat loss is one of the possible outcomes of the universe as proposed by Friedmann. It's called the Big Chill (not to be confused with the film). It depends on the shape of space-time that exists in our universe which is related to the average density of our universe.
that response really showed how something can come from nothing or how the universe can be eternal.
kind of. think of the big bang like this, rather than "something coming from nothing":-at the time of the big bang, "something" and "nothing" don't mean anything, since all of extended space is condensed just as matter is. if you think of "something" as being extended as drawn on a piece of paper, imagine that before the big bang happened, that piece of paper was crumpled infinitely small. the stuff in it still "existed," but it was all smushed together into something really small, just like the space(-time) in which it is extended.
  • Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a lot. You might not be an expert on the subject, but any information I can glean from those that are older and wiser I'll take. I appreciate it.
ha, i'm 24! and short!
I'm 21, and tall. How long have you been teaching, and at what level?
i've just been teaching for 2 years, at the undergrad college level, taking on some sessional work while i finish up a big, fancy philosophy/religion degree. i mostly teach philosophy, but the science and religion course is kind of a personal baby of mine.
It's easy to dicipher that there was a creator to those things. Because they don't occur naturally
this only proves my point. How often do you see earths naturally occurring? the answer...you dont!!!! Therfore we have something that doesnt just naturally come to be without a creator? ur logic is wrong.
The human body is a complex machine, and I've thought about it many times as to how it could have just come to be. The answer is, I don't know. But to say that some supreme being just decided one day to make it makes no sense. If God had the power to create things any way he wanted to, why would he need to make us so complex? Why would we need air, and water, and food to live? Just make us like manicans, with solid plastic bodies, and give us life. Anyway, the complexity of our body is so crazy that it makes sense to assume it derived from chaos. So lifeforce evolved to adapt to the surroundings and environment found here on Earth. That's what I believe.
This is just all over the place and really has no logic behind it at all. Why? b/c if something was random you would expect the easiest simpliest possible thing to occur why? b/c it becomes much more likely since there would be millions less variables to take into account..so do you see where your wrong?
I don't believe in God. If their was an ALMIGHT being who created the Universe he can also destroy it (case in point: The Painter who can destroy HIS creation) You would think with all the hate and violence in the world that GOD would destroy his creation and start over again, I would fold a censored poker hand because I have that choice based on a logical decision. OK, so I can hear posters now saying Well he is a forgiving loving GOD, ok so if he can create something why can't he beam down from the heaven's and stop a murder? Makes no sense at all. God exists because WE exist not the other way around. Can a braindead person worship someone from above? Can a tiger? We created God because we are self-aware and have the ability to think. I'm not saying this is true but that's what I believe. If God created US who created him.
This shows a complete lack of understanding of the bible which leads me to think you havent actually read it. So lets clarify. God has in fact destroyed cities. Sodom and Gomorrah. Second it has already been predestined that the earth will be cleansed of the sin that inhabits it (see the end times prophecies) . Your correct God is a Loving God but what u forget is God is also a Just God. Meaning all who sin will have to face judgement for that sin. Now as for your argument about the murder. Lets think of it this way. Does ur mom let u go out when you are likely gonna go cause trouble? Of course she lets u go...but when u get in trouble u pay a price...
Quote:most evangelicals will gladly admit there is many things wrong with catholicismLaughing Laughing LaughingOh man...good stuff.
U laugh but it is true
For starters...how do we know for sure that the body was there to begin with?? Razz
B/c why would Jews allow this new relgion to sprout up unchallenged. These "christians" were making claims about this man named Jesus being the Son of God and u think that the Jews took this lightly?
Matt is the king of standing for nothing and something at the same time in other religous threads. I stopped paying attention to him long ago. As a Christian who believes in God, I have to also say that I could be wrong? That is about as religous as it gets these days- stand for something, but be ready to change at any moment because there are no absolutes. Which would then make religion another version of science, just trial and error and theory, and little else.Of all the people that claim to know anything of religion on this site Matt saddens me the most.
haha...lois lois lois. take a few years of philosophy and you will realize what i mean. Yes from a philosophical point i have to claim that why? B/c you cant make absolutely statements in philosophy and hold any credibility. You mistake this for me being unsure about my faith and that is very wrong. i am very confident in my faith and very confident that I am right about Jesus. I sadden you more b/c i have shown the errors in ur thinkin on multiple occasions to the point that you dont continue to discuss the possibility that you are wrong.
1. Atheism is a myth.
No, it's a belief. I'm an athiest and I don't claim to KNOW absolutely that God does not exist. I do beleive that he does not exist, but since I can't prove he doesn't, all I can do is stick with my belief. I've never seen any evidence of his existence, so I choose not to believe. Should God ever see fit to show me some proof that he does exist then I'll change my position. Until then, I'm a non-believer.
By your very own definition you are not an athiest... you are agnostic.
Nice hand, checkymcfold. You're one of my new favorite posters. I'm also curious about Matt's question on raising a child in a home of two religions. I'm an atheist, but my girlfriend is Christian. Would we completely fuck up a child?
Dont take this personal. From a christian standpoint your g/f should not be with you. Not any slam on ur character or this or that but from a strictly christian issue the bible says that we should be "with people of equal yoke" or the same level of faith. And then of course the effect is that in ur situation you do cause a child to pick one side. Again nothing personal about u... Just giving u the christian take on it

i don't usually flame, but all that stuff above is absolutely incomprehensible. D+. pick it up for the final, or your GPA will suffer. and if you're having problems formulating your thoughts, i'm sure there's a university near you with a writer's workshop-type-thing to help you out.NB:their=possessive adjective, third person pluralthey're=they arethere=a pronoun (is it a pronoun, technically? i'm not sure) indicating placeyour=possessive adjective, second person singular or pluralyou're=you are.start from there.

i don't usually flame, but all that stuff above is absolutely incomprehensible. D+. pick it up for the final, or your GPA will suffer. and if you're having problems formulating your thoughts, i'm sure there's a university near you with a writer's workshop-type-thing to help you out.NB:their=possessive adjective, third person pluralthey're=they arethere=a pronoun (is it a pronoun, technically? i'm not sure) indicating placeyour=possessive adjective, second person singular or pluralyou're=you are.start from there.
lol..What the crap dude, it's obvious what he's saying... Why be a jerk?
i don't usually flame
Then don't start now, it just makes you look like a dick.
i wasn't going to get into this, but, well, i'm getting into it.first, i have BAs in physics and philosophy, and an MA in religious studies. i may have written your college differential equations textbook, and i teach a class on science and religion. i am a nietzschean in my personal philosophy, but that makes me more of an agnostic than an atheist.
For someone with 14 PH'ds and all the other degrees you were brag...er... mentioning, I would think it would be easy for you to decipher a post made by a simpleton... which is everyone but you... 'don't take this personally', but I hate personal insults.

ok, i'm fixing something else--we need to clarify our terms if we're going to actually have any sort of productive conversation here.an atheist need not provide "proof" of his/her beliefs with respect to a deity in order to be an atheist. similarly, a theist of whatever sort need not provide like (but opposite, obviously) proof.what defines an atheist and a theist in contradistinction to one another is that the former will say that "no deities exist, despite what you think, and despite the fact that i cannot or choose not to prove it," and that the latter will say the opposite. i sincerely doubt that an atheist and a theist would agree on what would qualify as "proof" anyway, so leave that word out of it.

Then don't start now, it just makes you look like a dick.
i am a dick sometimes, when people are either wrong or incoherent dicks themselves. to be honest, i really don't get anything he's trying to say at all except for his point about sodom and gommorah, which seems to be tangential at best.also, again in honesty, i am bothered by anyone who is able to say "From a christian standpoint your g/f should not be with you." that scares the crap out of me, and i find it indicative of a horribly unhealthy sentiment among many fundamentalist evangelicals. moreover, it aspires to knowledge of "what it is to be christian," which a lot of anglicans and catholics would be more than a little pissed about, methinks.so yeah, i was a dick. so was he. meh.and as for your "brag...er," etc., (mis-)interpret my intentions as you will. my advocated form of pluralism takes as one of its fundamental tenets an introduction about things like that before entering into conversations about religion, religion/science, etc. i thus introduced myself, lest i fall into hypocrisy. i suggest others here do the same.
Nice hand, checkymcfold. You're one of my new favorite posters. I'm also curious about Matt's question on raising a child in a home of two religions. I'm an atheist, but my girlfriend is Christian. Would we completely fuck up a child?
Dont take this personal. From a christian standpoint your g/f should not be with you. Not any slam on ur character or this or that but from a strictly christian issue the bible says that we should be "with people of equal yoke" or the same level of faith. And then of course the effect is that in ur situation you do cause a child to pick one side. Again nothing personal about u... Just giving u the christian take on it
This is why so many people hate religion. I didn't take it personally, and I completely understand where you're coming from. She doesn't follow the Christian religion very closely, but she claims to be one. I don't want to get into that. That said, your post is extremely obnoxious. You just come out of left field and tell me my business. It's so pious it's almost scary.
this only proves my point. How often do you see earths naturally occurring? the answer...you dont!!!! Therfore we have something that doesnt just naturally come to be without a creator? ur logic is wrong. This shows a complete lack of understanding of the bible which leads me to think you havent actually read it. So lets clarify. God has in fact destroyed cities. Sodom and Gomorrah. Second it has already been predestined that the earth will be cleansed of the sin that inhabits it (see the end times prophecies) .B/c why would Jews allow this new relgion to sprout up unchallenged. These "christians" were making claims about this man named Jesus being the Son of God and u think that the Jews took this lightly? take a few years of philosophy and you will realize what i mean. Yes from a philosophical point i have to claim that. i am very confident in my faith and very confident that I am right about Jesus. I sadden you more b/c i have shown the errors in ur thinkin on multiple occasions to the point that you dont continue to discuss the possibility that you are wrong.
This is why it's so hee-larious for me to listen to bible-thumpers! your first sentence: "HOw often do ya see earths occurring"? Well, an 'earth-like" planet was just discovered a few weeks ago, by several different observatories around the globe at the same time. Strange, strange thing for that to happen. Not to mention the fact that we can't see very far out there, as far as making anything out perfectly. I hope, since you've taken "Philosophy" courses (how you can do that and still believe in "God" is odd to me, but whatever), that you know how far away our "Sun" (my "God") is away from us. You could triple that distance and there's no way we could spot another earth that far away. Why am I saying this? Because the observable galaxies only go about 100 million times this distance, seemingly they go forever actually, but that's a rough figure. So, is there another "God"-loving earth out there in the next universe? there's no way we can tell, but at least we know that we're not the center of the universe, as thought in "God"'s day! We are but a speck of insignificant dust compared to everything else out there. And according to the bible's I've read, the jews didn't kill Jesus. Jesus was a Jew after all, was he not? I think it's possible they tried to blame it on the Jews, but Jesus was doing what he did for "the land of Israel", no?And "I've shown the errors in your thinking on many occasions". You see, you haven't done diddly-squat. You've just voiced your brainwashed opinion that all of these "God" talking to ordinary people things happened, and I'm sorry but I don't believe those myths. Why were Native Americans worshipping the "Sun", who brought them food and happiness in part or most of the year, depending on their location? Why, if "God" invented us, did they not know about "Him", and tell the imperialist Spaniards and Englishmen that "Oh, that old "God", we don't believe in "Him" anymore, we'd rather worship the "Sun". They didn't do this, because they had never heard of "Him". How is this possible if all Humans are spawned from Adam and Eve? Were adam and eve a bizarre mix of African/Spanish/Asian, so all of their offspring would come out differently? My main point is still: How is it possible for people to be alive and have no idea about "Him"? It just makes no sense! But if you want to keep on believing an odd "Myth", which is all it is, fine, but don't talk about it like it's established fact. I was brought up a "Christian", and I've, thank "God", snapped out of it and learned to think rationally about the world. I suggest you do a lot of reading outside of the bible, and you're likely to question "God" just as much as those who currently don't believe in "Him" do. How about that "God" vs. "Satan" sit 'n go?!
This is why so many people hate religion. I didn't take it personally, and I completely understand where you're coming from. She doesn't follow the Christian religion very closely, but she claims to be one. I don't want to get into that. That said, your post is extremely obnoxious. You just come out of left field and tell me my business. It's so pious it's almost scary.
I respect your response. Well done. That being said, I don't believe 'MATT' was trying to be pious or obnoxious. He was simply stating what the Bible says, which is in 2 Corinthians 6:14; 14Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?I think it is the Bible that was being obvoxious and pious toward you. If 'MATT' is a Christian, he HAS to believe this verse. So you can't really fault him.
I respect your response. Well done. That being said, I don't believe 'MATT' was trying to be pious or obnoxious. He was simply stating what the Bible says, which is in 2 Corinthians 6:14; 14Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?I think it is the Bible that was being obvoxious and pious toward you. If 'MATT' is a Christian, he HAS to believe this verse. So you can't really fault him.
I understand what he was trying to say. It was the fact that he said it that bothered me. The Bible isnt' self aware so it can't be obnoxious.
This is why it's so hee-larious for me to listen to bible-thumpers! your first sentence: "HOw often do ya see earths occurring"? Well, an 'earth-like" planet was just discovered a few weeks ago, by several different observatories around the globe at the same time. Strange, strange thing for that to happen.
Not every bible-thumper uses outdated and ludicrous data to support their claims... just the outspoken ones.Also, Earth-like and planet WITH life are 2 total different things. But this argument is stupid, and shouldn't ever even be brought up by Christians. Who's to say that God didn't make people other places, and why would it matter. Jesus could've easily died on another planet also... he's God. Things that aren't explicitly mentioned in the Bible should be completely removed from debate for a Christian. It just gives people reason to doubt everything else.
How about that "God" vs. "Satan" sit 'n go?!
I'm in. On the 'God' team.
1) it created itself(big bang)but something cannot come from nothing and if there was nothing in the beginning' date=' there would be no volatile gases to create an explosion.2) the universe is eternalno, it would eventually die of heat loss.[/quote']What a great understanding of Big Bang theory and Cosmology. There were no volatile gases at the big bang, true, but that's because the concept of gas, or molecules really for that matter, didn't really exist until long after the big bang (long, of course being a relative term).Also, as to number two, the universe dying of heat loss is one of the possible outcomes of the universe as proposed by Friedmann. It's called the Big Chill (not to be confused with the film). It depends on the shape of space-time that exists in our universe which is related to the average density of our universe.
that response really showed how something can come from nothing or how the universe can be eternal.
kind of. think of the big bang like this, rather than "something coming from nothing":-at the time of the big bang, "something" and "nothing" don't mean anything, since all of extended space is condensed just as matter is. if you think of "something" as being extended as drawn on a piece of paper, imagine that before the big bang happened, that piece of paper was crumpled infinitely small. the stuff in it still "existed," but it was all smushed together into something really small, just like the space(-time) in which it is extended.
okay, so you're saying that something existed before anything existed. how did that "stuff" originate?
okay, so you're saying that something existed before anything existed. how did that "stuff" originate?
science doesn't really say anything about that, since time is also a dimension of that paper that was "squished" into a very, very small ball. by the big bang story, this means that most of the expansion of the universe happened within the first 10^-34 seconds after the little ball of crap blew up.

Anyone else think that online poker is rigged. I got beat at party poker last night when I had the best hand on the turn and the dude caught his flush.That's bs.

Ok lets take these one at a time:

Well, an 'earth-like"planet was just discovered a few weeks ago, by several different observatories around the globe at the same time
again ur arguments prove next to nothing. If i find some rare species lets say a plant tomorrow...am i to assume that it jsut appeared? of course not. I would assume it existed the whole time and that I just now found it. Do u see where ur argument breaks down? People think that if you understand philsophy then u cant be a christian and that is again wrong. Check out the courses that are taught at a seminary sometime. You will find that an understanding of philosophy is a requirement!!!
nd according to the bible's I've read, the jews didn't kill Jesus. Jesus was a Jew after all, was he not? I think it's possible they tried to blame it on the Jews, but Jesus was doing what he did for "the land of Israel", no?
You need to reread your bible specifically Matthew 26:1-5Matthew 26:57-68Matthew 27:11-26You see the progression of the Jewish priests in thier attempts to have Jesus killed. Yes while the Jews (and more specifically the Pharisees)were not the official killers of Jesus they were the ones that set the ball in motion if u will. I could go into the long explanation of why the Pharisees plotted to have Jesus killed but i think u get the point.
And "I've shown the errors in your thinking on many occasions". You see, you haven't done diddly-squat. You've just voiced your brainwashed opinion that all of these "God" talking to ordinary people things happened, and I'm sorry but I don't believe those myths.
I assume this is referring to my thoughts on lois and again u are jumping into something without knowing the background. It would be like randomly opening a page of a book and starting to read without reading the beginning. Lois has spent a lot of time making claims that the bible does not claim also. I think you would agree that when u look at something, the context is a huge deal. I have shown lois on many occasions where the context completely changes the perception of the passages and even when the bible would disagree with what he has said. I am not some "brainwashed" person as you claim but instead have spent a great deal of time forcing the bible to prove itself. So far i have not found it to be false.
That said, your post is extremely obnoxious. You just come out of left field and tell me my business. It's so pious it's almost scary.
I wasnt callin u out..I just saw ur post and i assumed you were asking the question in seriousness. If i was mistaken I am sorry it is hard to gauge tone on a website haha. If it was not meant to be answered by anybody or by one specific person i am sorry for that too. I was just given you the christian perspective that is all. I wasnt tryin to get in ur business just giving you the answer that any practicing christian is called to live by thats it.
Not every bible-thumper uses outdated and ludicrous data to support their claims... just the outspoken ones.
I assume this was referring to me. I dont know anything about you but i promise you i am not outdated. His argument was flawed and i hope i showed that up above. It is thought that somthing like 10^25 is the true number of planets that are in the universe. we have not seen all these planets obviously but are we to assume that when we see one that it just appeared at that moment? of course not...Just b/c man cannot see it does not mean it doesnt exist. And yes I am outspoken when necessary. Why wouldnt I be? if somebody is going to make a claim that is against the bible would u rather I not attempt to show them the error of their way.
I think it is the Bible that was being obvoxious and pious toward you. If 'MATT' is a Christian, he HAS to believe this verse.
That's a bit absurd. The bible also has verses written that god created the animals and then man, and in the next chapter that god created man and then the animals and brought them to be named by man.It's not meant to be literal, that's why it's so easy to find seemingly contradictory sections of the bible.
Anyone else think that online poker is rigged. I got beat at party poker last night when I had the best hand on the turn and the dude caught his flush.That's bs.
No. It's called statistics. And I think you posted in the wrong forum by accident.

OK,I'm going to set up an FCP tourney for tomorrow night, probably at 7 PM. We can't get money into our account until tomorrow (bank issue), so I'll set it up and post it in here every couple hours. Come on out, for "God" vs. "Atheists", the Death Battle!It'll be for $10oh, AND too: What do you bible-thumpers think that "God" thinks about poker?Most importantly, what was "He" thinking when he "created" it?

I think it is the Bible that was being obvoxious and pious toward you. If 'MATT' is a Christian, he HAS to believe this verse.
That's a bit absurd. The bible also has verses written that god created the animals and then man, and in the next chapter that god created man and then the animals and brought them to be named by man.It's not meant to be literal, that's why it's so easy to find seemingly contradictory sections of the bible.
LOL. If you think that just because you don't think the Bible isn't supposed to be taken literally.... then it's true. Then you are absurb. Christians, "We believe that the Bible is the inerrant word of God"Steppin Razor, "No listen, I took this religious studies class at the university and my professor pointed out the there seems to be a contradiction in the Genesis account, so the Bible is just made up."Christians, "Oh crap! Steppin Razor is right! F!uck Christianity!"Give me 1 day and I will post the Christian response to your 'contradiction' claims. My point is that Christians have a plausible reason as to why Genesis is written in such a way, and your.. I mean, your professors opinion makes no difference to them.To many Christians the Bible is infallible, and if an error, or even a small 'contradicition' was found, they would then believe that the entire religon was total crap. Non believers have had 2000+ years to find an unexplainable contradiction, and I could be wrong, but I believe many have tried.
OK,I'm going to set up an FCP tourney for tomorrow night, probably at 7 PM. We can't get money into our account until tomorrow (bank issue), so I'll set it up and post it in here every couple hours. Come on out, for "God" vs. "Atheists", the Death Battle!It'll be for $10oh, AND too: What do you bible-thumpers think that "God" thinks about poker?Most importantly, what was "He" thinking when he "created" it?
Cool. BTW, don't you think 'bible-thumper' is derogatory? Change that to 'Jesus Freaks'.
I know that braveheart was gonna attempt to give an answer but i guess ill throw the preemptive strike if u will.Now bare in my that hebrew is not my strong suit so I have relied on a few others to help me with this. So we know that the OT has been around for a long while. We know that Jewish scholars never doubted Genesis 1 and 2 so there must be a reason for this. I think you will agree that Genesis one is a detailed view of how the bible says the earth came to be and Genesis 2 is a more focused look at mans coming to be. Now the part where u see the contradiction is in verse 2:18-19 in which where God says it is not good for many to be alone so he formed all the beasts. Yes from an english standpoint this makes no sense and i agree with you that it seems troubling. The problem isnt that its a contradiction though, the problem is how the translation reads when switched from hebrew to english. The most correct way to read verse 19 is: "Out of the ground the Lord God HAD formed every beast of the field and every bird of the sky,...." now youll see that this no longer contradicts chapter 1. Again that is the problem when you dont read the original language. We are forced to rely on gaining the same meaning from something that wasnt meant to be read in this language. I hope this clears up that for u