tornto life article on daniel

After reading that I wonder how many horses he still stakes in the WPT events?
Yeah, but isn't WPT events buy in 10 grand? That seems like a lot of money, but maybe not for him. I can see these smaller tourneys, with him shelling out 1k for a buy in for a few people, but 10k? I don't know.....
And I wonder why Harmen wasn't included in TOC.
My guess would be that, at the time of the ToC, she was probably recovering from the kidney ailment and subsequent transplant that kept her out of the 2004 WSOP. A E

The selection process for that final show was beyond ridiculous. I don't konow if you all were aware of this but originally I wasn't one of the selected players. I was added later after much bru ha ha was raised about how you could leave the WSOP Player of the Year out of the event. The way the others were chosen almost seemed somewhat random. It certainly wasn't based on skill level, marketability, results, or any logicical formula whatsoever. While I believe that Jennifer is a fantastic overall poker player I don't believe that she belonged in that event. No woman should have been in the event because there is no woman in the world right now that (resultswise) belonged in a no limit hold'em "Tournament of Champions." Champions of what? Chip Reese, arguably the best all around poker player in the world certainly didn't have the results of a John Juanda in no limit hold'em tournaments. Greg Raymer, the reigning WSOP Champion made sense because he was the "champion." Annie Duke has never won a no limit hold'em event in her lifetime. Howard Lederer's results pale in comparison to what John Juanda has done in both tournament and live poker. There was no rhyme or reason to the selection process whatsoever. How in the world could John Juanda NOT be in a 10 player no limit hold'em field including the "best of the best." It's beyond insulting, it's just plain wrong. All the guy does is win, and win, and win, year after year... makes you wonder what you have to do to be considered "among the best." If Juanda was invited to play in the "Tournament of Champions" not only would he have belonged, he would have been one of the clear favorites to win. The one thing that really makes me sick about the poker world is that mediawise it's not about winning, it's often all about politics.

It is nice to see someone speak there mind, I know I do it, if you dont agree with something or like some person, y cant u say so? like u said in the article about annie duke; if somebody did all the stuff, that u listed in your points of y u dont like her, I would feel the same way, and I would let everyone know it; keep up the good work daniel, u r generous, open minded, out spoken and most all u r a Canuck; and that is how we Canucks do things :wink: Peace

If I had to create the most interesting 10 man sit and go...it would be...~Daniel Negreanu...out of respect for where I'm posting...I'll list 1st.~Doyle Brunson...see the old school view.~T.J. Cloutier...respected "feel" player.~Jon Juanda...great player of modern era.~Johnnie Chan...proven winner.~Gus Hansen...another modern hot player.~Dan Harrington...the conservative player.~Phil Hellmuth Jr...a respected pro...and instigator.~Phil Ivey...top player...great to see who he respects.~Barry Greenstein...the gambler.THAT would be Television at it's finest...I'd watch 20 hours worth...with commercials...just to see every hand!~Lance

Duke being there was clearly just a marketing ploy as they could play the woman vs all the men card and hope it attracts more viewers. While she and reese clearly dont belong there based on no limit tournament results and raymer being there could be argued as well, if i were playing in the event i would be pleased that all 3 were in fact there from a competitive stand point. I mean anytime you can have duke and raymer at a table instead of juanda and hansen i would consider my chances of winning to be much greater. Raymer couldnt wait to get his money in the pot and hope for a coin flip and duke got her money in drawing to 2 and 3 outs a few times. I think they were looking for the 9 biggest names in poker at the moment and raymer and duke had to be considered and were probably chosen over say a juanda because juanda is a more quiet type as opposed to the loud and annoying duke. Anyways they clearly found a more fair way of determining this years contestants and avoiding controversy by making it a points thing instead. Juanda and daniel being left off of poker superstars is much more puzzling as they only had 8 players in that format and the top two no limit players nowhere to be found. Im sure there is a reason behind it, but that should be a bigger deal than the toc because espn is all about ratings, and duke and FOSSILMAN, at the time would make for better ratings than juanda.

Oh my gosh! Forrest, Ivey and World Hennigan---Finally a list with some poker players who really are the toughest there are! Play with these guys you might as well have your cards dealt face up--don't worry, they know what you have anyway!! That would be great TV!!

Off the top of my head I'd go with this based on no limit holdem skills in alphabetical order:Doyle BrunsonJohnny ChanTed ForrestChau GiangGus HansenJohn HenniganPhil IveyJohn JuandaErick LindgrenDaniel Negreanu
Well damn... apparently to be a top NLHE tourny player your last name must begin with a letter in the top half of the alphabet.I'm screwed!

Daniel I noticed your list doesn't include any women. Was that intentional (ie you don't consider any women in the top group), or were you only thinking of men for this table?Dev

No woman should have been in the event because there is no woman in the world right now that (resultswise) belonged in a no limit hold'em "Tournament of Champions."
Thanks - I had only skimmed the article.Dev
Oh don't give me this stuff about Annie isnt overrated... she completely is. If she didn't win ONE SitNgo for 2 Million... she would be in 90th!!! If you play that same game 100 more times, she probably wouldn't win it again. She is an ESPN creation.
Ditto... And that I am saying it has nothing to do with the fact she's a woman. I can admit my wife is probably a better tourney player than I. Without her Big Bro bankrolling her from the start she's nothing more than a soccer mom. IMHO
Off the top of my head I'd go with this based on no limit holdem skills in alphabetical order:Doyle BrunsonJohnny ChanTed ForrestChau GiangGus HansenJohn HenniganPhil IveyJohn JuandaErick LindgrenDaniel Negreanu[/quoteIts a conspiracy...no one in the top ten is in the second half of the alphabet....I'm screwed....(Mayes)