mario retirement (2pm tuesday)

aside from a real nice performance in the Olympics, I kinda wish he'd kept them hung up the first time. But in his prime, still one of the most beautifully smooth players the game has ever seen......

aside from a real nice performance in the Olympics, I kinda wish he'd kept them hung up the first time. But in his prime, still one of the most beautifully smooth players the game has ever seen......

he was also awesome during his comeback year...led the pens to the eastern conference finals.

Well with all his health issues, it was pretty difficult for him to gain any momentum or consistency. But he is easily the most incredible player I've ever had the pleasure of watching play hockey (Gretz was pretty dope too). Sad day... :cry:

I agree, I think Mario should have kept them hung up, but I feel he came back to strengthen the franchise. When Mario retired the 1st time the Pens could not affored to pay him in back salary, so Mario agreed to take partial ownership of the Pens instead of the Salary. With a team in that much finacial trouble he no other options than to make a comeback striclty to fans back in the seats. With that said, Mario will always be one of the hockey greats, it would have been interesting what records he could have accomplished if he played on team like the oilers in the late 80's early 90's. by the way I hate the oilers. Good luck to Mario in sellign the team, hope it comes back to Canada.

I agree, I think Mario should have kept them hung up, but I feel he came back to strengthen the franchise. When Mario retired the 1st time the Pens could not affored to pay him in back salary, so Mario agreed to take partial ownership of the Pens instead of the Salary. With a team in that much finacial trouble he no other options than to make a comeback striclty to fans back in the seats. With that said, Mario will always be one of the hockey greats, it would have been interesting what records he could have accomplished if he played on team like the oilers in the late 80's early 90's. by the way I hate the oilers. Good luck to Mario in sellign the team, hope it comes back to Canada.
well for it to come back it wouldn't have had to been there already?
look at the bright side... with a first post like this one, there's only one way to go.
nice lil tribute game tonight for the Mario.8-1 winnersCrosby 1g 3a.
and look who approvedcapt.paks10201260200.capitals_penguins_hockey_paks102.jpg
think you fan find a picture of Crosby skating around as the #1 star waving a Terrible Towel?
think you fan find a picture of Crosby skating around as the #1 star waving a Terrible Towel?
I already looked, but nothing up yet. I'm sure it will be.Roethlisberger was in the owner's box with Mario also.
It's too bad he's somewhat less popular with everyone on his team...
How much of this do you think can be attributed to jealousy? I mean, the veterans have to realize how young he is and how much pressure he is under. It seems to me that most of those who have a problem with him are either jealous or malcontents. Is this correct? I know you've spoken to a few Pens about the matter, but I'm willing to bet they were on the young side. For some reason Whitney and Malone pop into my head as the ones who you spoke to. I know you probably can't confirm this on a public forum, but it's just a feeling I get.
How much of this do you think can be attributed to jealousy? I mean, the veterans have to realize how young he is and how much pressure he is under. It seems to me that most of those who have a problem with him are either jealous or malcontents. Is this correct? I know you've spoken to a few Pens about the matter, but I'm willing to bet they were on the young side. For some reason Whitney and Malone pop into my head as the ones who you spoke to. I know you probably can't confirm this on a public forum, but it's just a feeling I get.
Actually, it's a very wide spread consensus. I'll pm you some details, but just think of something that's public knowledge. Three guys were brought to that team to protect Crosby: Lyle Odelin (older player), Ryan Vandenbussche (middle aged, in hockey terms) and Andre Roy (younger,although not young). They had to go get Cairns to protect Crosby 'cos none of them would do it. When a player like any of those three is brought to a team, they know what their role is, and the 'protectee' automatically gets their services. The privilege is automatic. KEEPING it is not. Crosby had it and lost it, and that's from a fair cross section of teammates. After a short period of time, the only players that stuck up for Crosby were Oullet and Talbot, buddies of his, friends off the ice, from the QMJHL. Watch when the kid scores a goal: he gets minimal congrats from his team, and most of the players just look the other way. Someone else scores, it's high fives down the bench. I really believe that Crosby is an amazing talent. I think it's most unfortunate that he needs an attitude adjustment. I hope that he changes his ways....

"Super" Mario LemieuxThis man is in my opinion the second best player to play in this fine sport. A man who played the game with grit, heart and pure raw talent. He could control a game single-handed, could always find the open man and could seemingly put the puck in the net at will.I think what impressed me the most was his loyalty to his team as he played his entire career with one team. I realise he had a financial interest which kept him tied to the team but how many others would have demanded a trade or just pulled out and gone to a "money city"? He remained loyal to his team mates, his city, his fans and his heart.Mario..... You stayed with your love in life as long as you could. Fighting through several bouts of sickness, financial strain and with a team which quite often was not at NHL caliber. Even at the end, you stay long enough to give the team hope for the future as you pass the torch to one of the bright young superstars who will carry the team into the next Pittsburgh Penguins era. In my mind truly one of a kind and my hat is off to you. As your fine career ends, I bid you a Fond Farewell

"Super" Mario LemieuxThis man is in my opinion the second best player to play in this fine sport. A man who played the game with grit, heart and pure raw talent. He could control a game single-handed, could always find the open man and could seemingly put the puck in the net at will.I think what impressed me the most was his loyalty to his team as he played his entire career with one team. I realise he had a financial interest which kept him tied to the team but how many others would have demanded a trade or just pulled out and gone to a "money city"? He remained loyal to his team mates, his city, his fans and his heart.Mario..... You stayed with your love in life as long as you could. Fighting through several bouts of sickness, financial strain and with a team which quite often was not at NHL caliber. Even at the end, you stay long enough to give the team hope for the future as you pass the torch to one of the bright young superstars who will carry the team into the next Pittsburgh Penguins era. In my mind truly one of a kind and my hat is off to you. As your fine career ends, I bid you a Fond Farewell
I'm crying here.
Actually, it's a very wide spread consensus. I'll pm you some details, but just think of something that's public knowledge. Three guys were brought to that team to protect Crosby: Lyle Odelin (older player), Ryan Vandenbussche (middle aged, in hockey terms) and Andre Roy (younger,although not young). They had to go get Cairns to protect Crosby 'cos none of them would do it. When a player like any of those three is brought to a team, they know what their role is, and the 'protectee' automatically gets their services. The privilege is automatic. KEEPING it is not. Crosby had it and lost it, and that's from a fair cross section of teammates. After a short period of time, the only players that stuck up for Crosby were Oullet and Talbot, buddies of his, friends off the ice, from the QMJHL. Watch when the kid scores a goal: he gets minimal congrats from his team, and most of the players just look the other way. Someone else scores, it's high fives down the bench. I really believe that Crosby is an amazing talent. I think it's most unfortunate that he needs an attitude adjustment. I hope that he changes his ways....
I have a hard time giving you any credibility when you mention Vandenbussche as being brought in to protect Crosby. Does Craig Patrick own a crystal ball? Vandenbussche was signed a year before Crosby was drafted.
I have a hard time giving you any credibility when you mention Vandenbussche as being brought in to protect Crosby. Does Craig Patrick own a crystal ball? Vandenbussche was signed a year before Crosby was drafted.
Yes, but I believe he was playing in Wilkes-Barre! Why must you come across as an ass?