hypothetical ethics question

Random thought... Let's say one of these pro poker player wannabe college kids somehow gets his hands on a credit card with a 30k cash advance line and draws all of it, only to deposit it onto a poker site and challenge DN to a heads up match. His hubris gets in the way of good judgement, and the hoopla surrounding the DC v. DN match influences this irrational decision as well. DN agrees to play him but right before the match he freely admits that his roll is on advance and he is just taking a shot at some real $... If you are Daniel what do you do?.... and I'm looking for serious respones...a) Play the match and bust him knowing that it will likely cause irreparable damage to his financial well being for the next 20 yrsB) Draw the line and dissuade the delusional college kid from putting himself in a financial crisis... refusing to play him heads upThe reason I pose this question is because this sort of thing is happening all over the place! I for one have no problem busting people at the limits I play. And if I was a high limit player I likely wouldn't care either. But, is there a line to be drawn with respect to this issue, and if so, where?I hear horror stories all the time about kids throwing their lives away at the online poker tables. As poker players the issue presents a bit of a conundrum because a) these are the fish we all love to bust and it keeps the game juicy and on the other hand B) these "cases" get covered in Time magazine, SI, 60 minutes and create all types of negativity towards poker from outside the poker community (particularly online poker) and I know none of us want Uncle Sam to drop the hammer, or at least pursue the issue more aggressively. I digress from my original hypothetical question, but I think this situation comes up more often than one would expect, and is certainly something that may weigh heavy on the conscience of a top flight pro during the poker boom, when in actuality the kids they're busting are people that look up to them...Any thoughts?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a) Play the match and bust him knowing that it will likely cause irreparable damage to his financial well being for the next 20 yrs
30 grand wont do that much damage.As is i'd play the person. If they dont lose to you they'll merely lose to someone else.

I come from the Darwinistic point of view on this and many issues. If he is too stupid as an adult to waste all his money playing me HU then let him waste his money. The strong will survive, and by beating him you may teach him a life lesson about gambling.

I come from the Darwinistic point of view on this and many issues. If he is too stupid as an adult to waste all his money playing me HU then let him waste his money. The strong will survive, and by beating him you may teach him a life lesson about gambling.
I'm a Darwinist myself and I agree with you personally... I'm looking to see if anyone feels differently on the subject since there is definetly a valid argument for the other side... I'm focusing this particular scenario on a top flight pro like DN who finds 30k in between his couch cushions vs. a wannabe amateur with no real $ and a dream.. what would they do. Although, noone can really speak for them since theyre not in their shoes, but if you were....?

I'd play him. Poker players have made their money off of people who can't afford to lose ever since people started playing for a living.Anyone that stupid could use a lesson like that.

Natural Selection...I love it
Natural Selection...I love it

I dont care where or how you came by the cash, once its on the table you can cry all night long about going into debt etc etc, bottom line is your money in my pocket makes my life better and for me thats all that counts.I never understand these guys at the low limit (B&M) who will tell someone what they have so they dont lose anymore money in the hand.Bust em out fast is my motto. (and hope they go to the cash machine and rebuy)

I'd like to believe that if I was in a position where 30K was mere pocket change, that I would take a moment and explain the consequences that this poor, misguided youth was about to realize when he loses his bankroll and can't pay it back.Then after I wipe him out, I'd ask him for the address of the State Pen so I knew where to send him a Christmas card.... :twisted:

I'd like to believe that if I was in a position where 30K was mere pocket change, that I would take a moment and explain the consequences that this poor, misguided youth was about to realize when he loses his bankroll and can't pay it back.Then after I wipe him out, I'd ask him for the address of the State Pen so I knew where to send him a Christmas card.... :twisted:

This is a tough situation. I would probably don't think I would lecture him on the consequences. I think I would just tell him that it might not be a good idea and tell him to sleep on it for a couple of nights to see if this is what he really wants to do. If he shows up and sits with me a few nights later. Well son, GL. :evil: Did you send that chick home yet? hehehehe :club:

yup... she'll be back though..   man, owning my own place sure beats living with the rents... I thought this day would never come.  Takes booty calls to a whole new level since there is no sneaking around    :club:
Hahahahahaha. BTW quick question you use poker tracker or no?
a) Play the match and bust him knowing that it will likely cause irreparable damage to his financial well being for the next 20 yrs  
30 grand wont do that much damage.e.
i beg to differ. 30 grand is a huge debt. poeple pay off student loans for 20 plus years sometimes and those are low interest rates. who wants to be in debt for 20 plus years? no one.
You think that he wouldn't find some other pro to play him? Or just blow it all on bullsh it, or trying to look like a big shot, or something?
yes but is it ok to sell crack just because a crackhead will get it elsewhere anyways?
Yes. I sell Addys. Want some?

I would like someone to show me a credit card company that would allow a thirty thousand dollar advance on a card payable to an offshore company. Until that moment, your question will never be anything more than hypothetical. Good post though. Just sayin...

I would like someone to show me a credit card company that would allow a thirty thousand dollar advance on a card payable to an offshore company. Until that moment, your question will never be anything more than hypothetical. Good post though. Just sayin...
ok tuition money... government grants... savings.. there are plenty of ways for people to go bankrupt... and you better believe its happening as we speak.. and ty
You think that he wouldn't find some other pro to play him? Or just blow it all on bullsh it' date=' or trying to look like a big shot' date=' or something?[/quote'']yes but is it ok to sell crack just because a crackhead will get it elsewhere anyways?
Yes. I sell Addys. Want some?
I use to ace exams in college because of those things... my sinus took a beating though :cry:

Why do people write as if the outcome of a poker match is predetermined because one player is better than the other. If DN were to play, he's not guaranteed to win. He, or anybody else risks the same amount of money as their opponent. It's absolutely ridiculous and stupid to take into account someone's financial "well being" when deciding whether or not you're willing to play them. ESPECIALLY when you play poker for a living.PS. The general forum has become a fucking crapshoot for the retarded!