need ideas for speech related to poker

Im in a public speaking class and our next speech is informative. We are supposed to pick a topic that we really care about. It has to be 4-6 minutes long and include about 5 sources. It has to be interesting, understandable for people who know nothing about the topic, and narrow enough to be covered in detail in the time limit. I decided to do something related to poker but im not sure what specifically i should do it on. Some of my ideas right now are: - History of the WSOP - Doyle Brunson - Calculating pot oddsIf anyone has any ideas on these or any others, input would be greatly appreciated.

Don't do it about calculating pot odds, you want them to stay uninformed.  I like the history of the WSOP idea actually.
I think a speech telling your audience how to calculate pot odds might also put them to sleep. The other two topics could be very interesting though!

i think a topic like "what makes poker a game of skill more than a game of luck?" or "why is poker different [from other table games / from craps or the lottery / etc.]?" would be really interesting.you could talk about the idea of a "long run" and how the cards and the luck balance out but the actions of the players give different monetary outcomes, etc.aseem

I dunno if this is gonna help you or not, but I too and about to do an Informative speech for Public speaking class. The topic I'm considering right now is a brief overview of game theory(very un-technical for the audience), but I'm basically trying to convey to the audience that in games involving elements of chance, there are mathematical advantages you can exploit to become a winner despite the chance element. And yes, poker is going to be a HUGE part of my presentation.

i think a topic like "what makes poker a game of skill more than a game of luck?" or "why is poker different [from other table games / from craps or the lottery / etc.]?" would be really interesting.
Thats a good idea, and also maybe television's impact on the game would be interesting.

I'm glad you "care" enough about poker to do a 4-6 min speech on it. I did some kind of speech also on poker. But it was this lame thing for work. Anyhoo, yours might be different. Nevertheless, here is what I talked about. Poker: the object of the gamethe hand rankingsPoker variationsGeneral rules of the game (betting, blinds, antes, NL vs Limit) etcIdeas for you: the recent poker "explosion"tourneys vs. cash (or side) gamesgeneral history of pokerskill vs. luck factorgood luck

Doh! I thought of another thing. You know the public has certain ideas about poker. 1. You need a good poker face2. It's all about bluffing3. We're all degenerates (well, that's true to some extent)You can clear some of these misconceptions up.

Here is some information from the WSOP website: The Challenge Heard Round the WorldIn the summer of 1949, famed gambler Nicholas 'Nick the Greek' Dandolos approached gambling icon, Benny Binion, wishing to somehow challenge the reputed best poker player, the legendary Johnny Moss, in a high-stakes poker marathon.Binion agreed to set up a match between Dandolos and Moss with the one stipulation that the event be held in public. Five months later, with breaks only for sleep, Moss won “the biggest game in town” and an estimated $2 million purse.21 years later, in 1970, Binion decided to recreate the event — dubbed the “World Series Of Poker” — to determine who would be worthy of the title of “World Champion.” Again, Johnny Moss won.From 1970 to 1982, the tournament had grown to 52 entries. In 2003 there were 839 entries for the $10,000 No Limit Hold'em event. In 2004 the previous year's record was smashed when 2,576 poker fanatics entered the Championship event. The prize money increased from $7,769,000 a decade ago to more than $49 million in 2004It’s now the biggest, most famous poker event on the planet.The 36th Annual World Series of Poker is scheduled to begin June 2, 2005 at the Rio, Las Vegas, and will run through July 15. An estimated 5,000 players are expected to participate in the $10,000 buy-in, no-limit Texas hold 'em Championship, double the number that competed in 2004. http://worldseriesofpoker.com/[/url]

Guest Anonymous
Im in a public speaking class and our next speech is informative. We are supposed to pick a topic that we really care about. It has to be 4-6 minutes long and include about 5 sources. It has to be interesting, understandable for people who know nothing about the topic, and narrow enough to be covered in detail in the time limit. I decided to do something related to poker but im not sure what specifically i should do it on. Some of my ideas right now are: - History of the WSOP - Doyle Brunson - Calculating pot oddsIf anyone has any ideas on these or any others, input would be greatly appreciated.
HEy man funny sht. ABout 12 years ago in college i gave a speech in my beginners class. I am going to see if I can find it on my old word processor that i took with me. I had the exact same topic and I spoke about Poker and about gambling. How it is the only game you can truly win at because the variables are mainly human. I was already a no limit player at the time but it was mainly before it was popular. I am going to see if I have it. I will send it to you if i can find it. But i wrote about Brunson, Chan, and an obnoxious young man named Hellmuth. IT also included some stories about Amarillo Slim and of course the greatest player I have ever seen Stu Ungar. Well Good Luck and if you truly love the game then the speech will be awesome because it will be from your heart and soul.

i write for my high school's newspaper and i've been thinking of writing an article but everytime i try to start one i have to stop every 2 seconds and explain something to the reader. Not trying to sound like an elitist, as i am certainly not, but just letting you know its gonna be tough. Kind of like Tilt on ESPN, you're either going to portray it realistically and please the purists or give it that Hollywood vibe and please the masses.

So much trust in money handling (see Dutch Boyd) and randomized dealing (see PartyPoker).The diffrence being one was massive scandal and one is more random than a dealer hand shuffling?
i see your point, im just saying a lot of people have conspiracy theories about the shuffling... wasnt putting them on the same level at all.
i think a topic like "what makes poker a game of skill more than a game of luck?" or "why is poker different [from other table games / from craps or the lottery / etc.]?" would be really interesting.you could talk about the idea of a "long run" and how the cards and the luck balance out but the actions of the players give different monetary outcomes, etc.aseem
I'm currently also in a speech class and I'm doing mine on exactly that, "What makes poker a game of skill more than a game of luck" It will catch the attention of the guys in the room that play poker, but I think the girls in the class will be sleeping... unless a few of them play as well.