continuation / probe bets

Im finding it quite difficult to know when to make continuation bets, / what size etc, specifically in SnG tournaments. I've included examples below of some that have / havent worked etc. Am I making them in the correct situations / betting the correct amount etc?Table Table 67221 (Real Money) -- Seat 4 is the buttonTotal number of players : 9Seat 1: MikeOfSweden (575)Seat 2: HuskyCox (890)Seat 3: ChiCubsN2K4 (705)Seat 4: sleeper52 (860)Seat 5: angrynative (785)Seat 6: KingJackOff7 (1605)Seat 7: golf5ok (935)Seat 8: ChiefCujo (775)Seat 9: msluckyG (870)angrynative posts small blind (10)KingJackOff7 posts big blind (15)** Dealing down cards **Dealt to KingJackOff7 [ Kd, Ac ] golf5ok folds.ChiefCujo calls (15)msluckyG calls (15)MikeOfSweden folds.HuskyCox folds.ChiCubsN2K4 folds.sleeper52 folds.angrynative calls (5)KingJackOff7 raises (55) to 70ChiefCujo calls (55)msluckyG folds.angrynative folds.** Dealing Flop ** : [ 4c, 9d, 4d ] KingJackOff7 bets (125)ChiefCujo raises (705) to 705ChiefCujo is all-In.KingJackOff7 folds.*********** # 59 **************PokerStars Game #3357605279: Tournament #16634388, Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200) - 2005/12/17 - 11:20:45 (ET)Table '16634388 2' Seat #8 is the buttonSeat 1: gothenuts2 (3265 in chips) Seat 2: Westikal (3500 in chips) Seat 6: BigDave00 (8157 in chips) Seat 7: flydyed (2700 in chips) Seat 8: yursharkbait (2085 in chips) Seat 9: Stacked07 (3820 in chips) Stacked07: posts small blind 100gothenuts2: posts big blind 200*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Stacked07 [As Qh]Westikal: folds BigDave00: folds flydyed: folds yursharkbait: folds Stacked07: raises 400 to 600gothenuts2: calls 400*** FLOP *** [6c 9c 4s]Stacked07: bets 800gothenuts2: folds Stacked07 collected 1200 from potStacked07: doesn't show hand *********** # 60 **************PokerStars Game #3357612229: Tournament #16634388, Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200) - 2005/12/17 - 11:22:00 (ET)Table '16634388 2' Seat #9 is the buttonSeat 1: gothenuts2 (2665 in chips) Seat 2: Westikal (3500 in chips) Seat 6: BigDave00 (8157 in chips) Seat 7: flydyed (2700 in chips) Seat 8: yursharkbait (2085 in chips) Seat 9: Stacked07 (4420 in chips) gothenuts2: posts small blind 100Westikal: posts big blind 200*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Stacked07 [2c Ah]BigDave00: folds flydyed: folds yursharkbait: folds Stacked07: calls 200gothenuts2: folds Westikal: checks *** FLOP *** [Kd Qh 5h]Westikal: checks Stacked07: bets 250Westikal: folds Stacked07 collected 500 from potStacked07: doesn't show hand *********** # 65 **************PokerStars Game #3357632055: Tournament #16634388, Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200) - 2005/12/17 - 11:25:35 (ET)Table '16634388 2' Seat #8 is the buttonSeat 1: gothenuts2 (2565 in chips) Seat 2: Westikal (3200 in chips) Seat 3: Yukon74 (5683 in chips) Seat 4: zenta29 (5005 in chips) Seat 5: mx348 (1760 in chips) Seat 6: BigDave00 (8157 in chips) Seat 7: flydyed (2900 in chips) Seat 8: yursharkbait (2685 in chips) Seat 9: Stacked07 (4420 in chips) Stacked07: posts small blind 100gothenuts2: posts big blind 200*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Stacked07 [8c Qh]Westikal: folds Yukon74: folds zenta29: folds mx348: folds BigDave00: folds flydyed: folds yursharkbait: folds Stacked07: raises 400 to 600gothenuts2: calls 400*** FLOP *** [3d 7s Ac]Stacked07: bets 800gothenuts2: folds Stacked07 collected 1200 from potStacked07: doesn't show hand

I've just realised that I've included more examples of ones that worked than didn't. I didnt really mean to, they're just the first continuation bets that I found in my recent hand histories. I'm actually having problems rather than great success with continuation bets and so would appreciate some criticism /guidance rather than just saying 'yes' most of those worked.

Yeah, I think all of these are fine.Flop texture is a key component of deciding whether to cont bet and how much.In the 1st hand that didnt work with your AK the flop was ragged so your oppenent can be pretty sure you missed unless you had a high pair. With these flops I am less likely to cont bet for that reason.That being said I will cont bet almost all the time regardless of the flop (assuming I have a decent size stack ) if I am heads up after teh flop.I like the aggressiveness in the other hands btw. Just remeber to not spew chips if villian calls your cont bet and you dont improve on the turn.good luck

Thanks for the advice so far; but it seems to be a double edged sword. If the flop comes rags they're unlikely to give you credit for hitting, while if the flop comes say Q J 4 and you have AK then I wouldn't like to bet as J or Q are cards that they are likely to have.This is what I find difficult.

Another consideration for making a continuation bet is your table image. Along with all of the other considerations about position and my opponets actions, I will give thought to how many hands I have been playing and what hands I have been showing down. If I have been involved in many hands recently or I have show down small pocket pairs or weak cards, I will typically check and try to get a free card. If I have been folding and playing tight agressive poker, I will make a larger bet and force my opponet to make a tough decision. -- Ryan

I guess the main thing here is to not do the same thing every time you raise. So dont cont bet EVERY time b/c any thinking opponent will see this and use it against you.
Maybe not every single time, but you want your opponents to get in the habit of checking to you. Then you can take a free card and break them if you make a hand on the turn. I played a hand last night, where I raised from the button with AQ, one really loose maniac called. The flop only had one face card, a J. He checked to me and I bet 2/3 of the pot. I thought there was a good chance he'd call, but I gave him a courtesy bet, since I knew he was checking to me knowing that I'd bet. I play with this guy regularly, so at some point, he's going to give me the free card I need to break him. I can't wait for that hand.
I guess the main thing here is to not do the same thing every time you raise. So dont cont bet EVERY time b/c any thinking opponent will see this and use it against you.
Maybe not every single time, but you want your opponents to get in the habit of checking to you. Then you can take a free card and break them if you make a hand on the turn. I played a hand last night, where I raised from the button with AQ, one really loose maniac called. The flop only had one face card, a J. He checked to me and I bet 2/3 of the pot. I thought there was a good chance he'd call, but I gave him a courtesy bet, since I knew he was checking to me knowing that I'd bet. I play with this guy regularly, so at some point, he's going to give me the free card I need to break him. I can't wait for that hand.
I should add, I thought this was a good flop for my hand anyway. If the flop had come with a K and J, I would've been less likely to make the bet, since I"m almost sure this guy called with high cards and that flop simply had to hit him. But that's just one hand against one player that I know quite well. Most of the time, maybe not 99% of the time, if I raise pre-flop and it's checked to me by one or two players, I bet between 1/2 and 2/3 of the pot.I'd be interested in reading some thoughts on flop texture after raising pre-flop and it's checked to you..How do you bet when the board pairs and two or more players check to you?How do you bet when the board has two connecting cards and two or more players check to you?How do you bet when the board has three connecting cards and two or more players check to you?How do you bet when the board has two suited cards and two or more players check to you?How do you bet when the board has three suited cards and two or more players check to you?

I usually bet 99% of te time after I raise but again it totally depends on opponents.For example, Last night I bluffed off $300 after raising pf w 89s. One caller and the flop came as ragged as it gets. 2 7 3I fired 1 barrell for $25CallTurn 6Barrell # 2 for $100CallRiver 7He checks again and he only has $171 left. I'm thinking to myself that if he called th efirst 2 bets he is surely going to call a river bet. But before I knew it I had put him all in and he called me down with AK.So yeah, I'm stupid

What do you mean when you say a "continuation bet didnt work"?Even the first hand the continuation bet "worked", because one of the purposeds of a CB is information. You got plenty of information from the first one, an all-in. Now you have to interpret that information.Continuation bets that are of mixed size are difficult to defend against without a real hand. Even if the bettor always makes some bet with the lead, you dont know which of those times he has a real hand and which times its a bluff. When you are played back, especially by a board with texture, it has more crediblity then a bet into you after a check.The standard criteria for NOT making a continuation bet are when you have more than 2 opponenets left in the hand, when the board texture is dangerous, or you flopped a monster and want to check raise.Don't become predictable, though..you cant always CB when you miss and always check when you hit, and your CBs should vary in size.

Don't become predictable, though..you cant always CB when you miss and always check when you hit, and your CBs should vary in size.
Someone should tell that to Ivey. His CB's are almost always 2/3 pot.