espn article about pollack and future of wsop

So what it still makes the the ME out of reach for most of us.No it doesn't!Pay $100.Win multitable subsatellite.Enter main satellite.Win $100000 seat to ME.Done.
Im sure it seems simple to you. However, I think you should research how many players actually buy in for the full 10K and how many win Satellites. From this simple math you can see the potential change of the main event will have. Do you honestly think EVERYBODY that plays in the ME is there via satellite.Not to mention you make the winning the satellite thing seem kinda easy.Just use a lil thought, despite how hard it may be.

Sorry, 10% of those you are talking about.Say 1000 people normally buy in for 10K that can't afford 100K. Now they will pay 10K for a single table sat, and 100 of them will qualify. 10%.But they will be qualifying into a smaller field, with an EVEN LARGER prize pool. If 700 people enter a 100K even, that creates a prize pool of 70 million.If you like, you can view the sat as DAY 1 of the ME. The ones who can afford 100K receive a bye into Day 2. Does that make you happier?Another option would be to make it a rebuy tournament, such that the deep pockets have an edge.

Jeffrey Pollack is exactly right in wanting to understand the "Branding" of the WSOP and where it is going. The WPT has garnered so much of the lights and sizzle because of thier dominance in the TV market. The world is responding to the trend. It always happens that way. We see it on TV and we know it's OK.. Branding has been nurturing us consumers this way for decades. Why not Poker.Poker on TV, in business and on Wall Street is just starting to happen. Hold on to your chips gang cause this "Gold Rush" is far from over...

this is my email to Pollack....Basically the problem alot of the main stream pros are having with many of the events is not that the buy-ins arent high enough, necessarily, and not even there are too many people in these tournaments, but there are too many players in these tournaments that really don't know alot of the basic theorys of poker and are dealing out an extraordinary number of bad beats throughout these tournaments, which make the tournaments like running through a mine field and you have to be incredibly lucky just to get past the first day let alone to the final table. Though most pros woudl be too proud or stubborn to admit it, they don't want to play these amateaurs! Sure they would welcome them to a cash game, but NOT a tournament. So, essentially, what you're trying to do by increasing the buy-in is limit the field, so instead of upping the ante, just create invitational tournaments...plain and simple, there are hundreds if not thousands of great players out there who would be qualified to play...take a board of the 3, 4, or 5 top braclet winners and have them compile a list of as many poker greats they can think of to invite, from Chip Reese, to Andy Bloch, from Greg Raymer, to Perry Friedman, from Phil Ivey to John D'Agostino, from Daniel Negreanu to Juha Helppi, from John Juanda to John Gale...Invite every past braclet winner, every past WPT winner or final tableist...ALSO, if you dont want to associate this tournament with the WSOP because of its standards call it the Grand Slam of Poker, or something to that effect and grab the reigns of it, because I guarantee if you dont do this someone will, if not a corporation the pros themselves, this is a gold mine...You will still be running a SERIES of events but only those invited will be allowed to play, from pot limit omaha, to no limit hold'em to H.O.R.S.E....That's my solution, the players can go to the WSOP for the huge prize pools, but create something else to replace the old prestige that came from winning a braclet in a limited field of greats....

What a terrific idea! Lets make a 6-figure buy-in so the common man cannot afford to play!
6 figures is pretty high, but they haven't raised the buy in in a long time. I think it would be justified it they did so.

Having the buy in at 50k would be ideal. That way everyone can still try to win a seat like they are now. However, they won't be 5000 plus players and a top pro can still reasonably win it as can an amateur. More levels of satellites to get the seat would be necessary. Having approx. 600-1000 people would be fine. And again, everyone would still have a fair chance to earn their seat by winning satellites. However, there would be one more round of qualifying to do so. I think that is ideal. Also, they need the buyins to be higher. All these 1k and 1500 buy ins are ruining the wsop. There is no reason for there to be 1000+ players in every event. So the common man must pick and choose a few events to play in rather than play every event. It's becoming very difficult to do well due to the huge fields. As someone said, money isnt what it was in 1970 and a 10k main event is silly. The bellagio already has a 25k AND a 15k buy in. The main event is supposed to be the TOP tourney, so a 50k buy in is very reasonable.