props = -ev (for me anyway)

I could see wanting to play props for a few extra dollars to spice up the action when you're not in a hand, but to risk hundreds of thousands on props seems rediculous. Actually, to risk any amount on props that COULD put a dent in your income seems stupid.  In other words, I would have no trouble loosing $25,000 in props in a $2k/$4k game, but to loose $125k would make me want to jump off a building.  In your case Daniel, the majority of your posts in the last 2 months have been about how you lost $100k here and $200k there, don't you think props might be hurting you?  It's no better than tossing away a few hundred thousand in the pits.  On Nov. 17th you posted a $72k win, $207k in poker ($136k) in props, you should be sick to your stomach with a day like that. With that said, maybe there's an endless supply of money that you know about and I don't.  However, if I was facing Helmuth, Chan, Brunson, and Ivey every day, I'd be looking to cash in on safer bets.  
It's much different because when you're tossing away money in the pits, the house has an edge. In props, you should theoretically break even in the long run, as long as you don't sleep any.
Ok, I am new to this forum. Can someone please explain what "-EV" stands for? Any other things that you could define for me would be super.EStormOk
EV, Expected Value.
Many Thanks.EStormOk

Has anyone started trying to run props for the first time. I'm still a little confused, but think my house game is going to try it this weekend at some low stakes. I think we'll just start with the three card combinations, and then maybe the suit prop with A,K,Q paying a J stiffing--we'll see. My house games involves chips and we play tourney style--I guess we'd have to have seperate chips for our prop gambling as well... awesome.Also another hockey prop gambling game is to pick a number either 0-9, or 0-59, depending on the number of players and how much action you want. If you have 0, then you obviously don't get the start or finish of the period. When the clock stops on your number everone playing pays you one unit. Specials include goals where you get paid two units by everyone, or penalties where you pay everyone one unit. Back when we played this at the high school hockey tournament to make the consolation games pass easier we used quarters, but have since upgraded to dollars. I can just imagine DN will play this at the next AHL game he attends with Franklins.You sleep your number when you don't call it out by the time the puck is dropped. Awesome when someone misses their number because the home team scored and they got too excited.

Sorry, I'm just getting better at Hold 'em, and now y'all are talking about this props thing....I saw the links to the rules. But I'm still not quite understanding it. Is there a dummy, plain english explanation for it?BTW Huskers 20....u from Nebraska? Just askin, cuz I live here now, my whole life actually, interesting name. :club:

This props business is interesting... and to those who think risking hundreds of thousands on them is ridiculous, don’t realize that it is in fact all relative... if you have millions of dollars, and are playing within YOUR personal limits... props just add an extra element to the game... Think about it... these guys have got there game down TIGHT... What seems like an added annoyance, actually makes for an interesting twist of the norm... you have to spice up the workday somehow... lol :club:

you're not suppose to let anyone know they slept a prop until the cards are turned over, otherwise they can call there prop and you have to pay them!I slpet so many that night it was unreal. Playing hold'em it was ok because hold'em is like auto pilot, but when we were playing stud 8 it was hard. I had to actually tihnk about the game AND my prop bets. It was fun as hell though. If anyone comes to our house to play a home game props are there and everyone is all about it.

Props show you that the game is a big toss up and maybe dead for play what is the rake? Maybe they all lose ? The sports books have a ton of props on all kinds of off the wall points, I left a OMh/l game a couple of days ago with everyone a loser? With props the whole problem of the top of a field comes out, where can they go? Maybe that phony 10 million buyin will separate the "donks" from the class. As for that the WPT etc. that can become like the old Kentucy derby full of vanity players. They will most likly change to a money earned qualifer, cause you know those online sites are using you to stage a revolution and topple the whole system. The thing could be baseball and farm systems. Props are also for repressed loose aggressive players who cann't call an allin incognito for 100,000 + at a real table they would see you and maybe go red.

Props show you that the game is a big toss up and maybe dead for play what is the rake? Maybe they all lose ? The sports books have a ton of props on all kinds of off the wall points, I left a OMh/l game a couple of days ago with everyone a loser? With props the whole problem of the top of a field comes out, where can they go? Maybe that phony 10 million buyin will separate the "donks" from the class. As for that the WPT etc. that can become like the old Kentucy derby full of vanity players. They will most likly change to a money earned qualifer, cause you know those online sites are using you to stage a revolution and topple the whole system. The thing could be baseball and farm systems. Props are also for repressed loose aggressive players who cann't call an allin incognito for 100,000 + at a real table they would see you and maybe go red.

Sorry, I'm just getting better at Hold 'em, and now y'all are talking about this props thing....I saw the links to the rules. But I'm still not quite understanding it. Is there a dummy, plain english explanation for it?BTW Huskers 20....u from Nebraska? Just askin, cuz I live here now, my whole life actually, interesting name. :club:
Poker Honey.Grew up and went to school in Lincoln. In west Chicago Suburbs now. Thanks for asking, where you at in NE.Huskers20