nba > than nhl

I can't really watch either on TV except when it comes to playoff time. But if I had to pick a live sport to watch, I prefer hockey, it's more action paced...it really helps if you know the nuances of the game. If you don't then I certainly understand a push for the NBA. I understand hockey so I enjoy it more than the NBA...plus any sport that advocates getting massively hammered and fighting is A-OK in my book! 8)

NBA is more popular, but I think the NHL is now better.The overhaul they have given the league is pretty evident. I used to be unable to watch hockey because of the constant whistle blowing and stoppage of play.Now, 2 liners are legal and you can check back onside, plus the smaller pads and bigger area behind the nets leads to more scoring too.At this point, I think the NHL is much easier to understand, has a faster pace of play, more consistent action and a FAR better fan-player relationship.I played Bball in HS pretty much every day, and while you can apply the "highlight" arguement to almost any sport, when you are watching it live, I think the saying about the last minutes of basketball being the only important ones tends to be true.The same can't be said for hockey.If they can get back on some regular networks, I think they could build the fanbase and overcome basketball one day. Attendence at the games is pretty much the same, its the TV ratings that stink.And the Stanley Cup is the most storied trophy in all of sports. It's been around longer than any other trophy, and combine that with the fact that the names of all the great players that have won the cup are on the cup itself makes it the best trophy around.

At this point, I think the NHL is much easier to understand, has a faster pace of play, more consistent action and a FAR better fan-player relationship.
How can you say that when they just blew an entire season due to a strike? It's amazing how horribly managed the NHL is, they are lucky the fan base is so loyal. Sure the game is getting easier to understand, now that they woke up and removed a bunch of the boring rules.Basketball wins on the players alone. I think the average person would rather see an interview with Allen Iverson than Sidney Crosby (sp?). Basketball players are a little easier to relate to for the average person, and therefore more interesting. Anyone can pick up a ball and go outside and shoot baskets, not everyone can go outside, slap on skates and cross check someone.That fundemental difference will seperate the two sports forever in popularity, at least in the US and anywhere that there isn't ice on the ground 3/4th of the year.

I really couldn't disagree with you more Jade.The strike hurt popularity in the US, but one of the reasons the players settled and took less money is to get the game going again.Aside from the fact that both are spoiled millionaires, here's a simple example:One time at a Flyers game, Keith Primeau got sent to the box for a penalty. A fan was leaning over the glass and made a comment about what a bad call it was. Keith proceded to turn around and discuss what happened on the ice, explaining the rule better to the fan. It was a very open and candid discussion with a fan that he didn't need to do.NHL players are more eager to talk to fans then NBA players.NHL players come out at the end of every game and personally give away free gear to kids who wait.NHL players do TV interviews IN BETWEEN periods to help give a closer perspective of whats going on mid-game.I don't see NBA players put in half the effort to connect with the fans like the NHL players do.That would probably be why, as you said, NHL fans are so loyal.I'm not arguing popularity, I'm arguing the fan-player relationship. And I did it without even bringing up the Pacers incident last year.

I've seen NHL fans throw beer on players in the penality box too. I seem to recall a few years ago a player trying to go after a fan from the penality box. Fans acting like jerks are not exclusive to any one sport so bringing up what happened in Detroit last year won't better your arguement, doesn't help mine either.NBA players give interviews between quarters and 1/2's also, I think that's pretty standard across sports in general when your talking about televised events.You also left Jeremy Roenik off your list, he had some nice comments for NHL fans earlier this year. That Fan/Player relationship isn't as smooth as you think. And as for giving away stuff after games, I have seen NBA and NFL players do this... again not exclusive to hockey. The NHL is trying to showcase that more to improve thier image after the strike, like what baseball was doing after theirs.

All my points happened pre-strike.And 90% of all sports reports that say that hockey players are probably the most approachable professional atheletes around.Obviously good things and bad things happen all the time in sports, but it is far more consistant in the NHL.I knew this even when I wasn't a fan of the league.

Just to clarify, it was not a strike, but a lockout.A strike would be where the players (employees) decided not to playA lockout is where the owners (employer) did not allow the players to play.I think...Also, the reason why tuning in for the last two minutes most applies to basketball is that either the game will be close (in which case the winning basket will be scored in the last 2 min) or it will not be close (and you didn't spend a few hours watching a blowout) however, in other sports, hockey and especially soccer, tuning in for the last two minutes means you would have already missed the game winner, and likely all other points.

I've seen NHL fans throw beer on players in the penality box too.  I seem to recall a few years ago a player trying to go after a fan from the penality box.
Several years back, I was at an Edmonton - Calgary game. This is one the most intense rivalry in the NHL. In this particular game...an Edmonton fan poured beer on the Calgary coach's head. Both knew it was part of the rivalry and there was minimal legal action. In the NBA...you have a fight. The next season you make all your players wear suits. Does that make any sense to you?
In the NBA...you have a fight. The next season you make all your players wear suits. Does that make any sense to you?
No, but it's pretty damn funny that sports betting sites are taking odds on who is the first player to get fined for breaking the dress code.