just jumped from .50/1l to 5/10l. feedback please!!

it's impossible for you because you are a degenerate with absolutely no self-control' date=' nor the willingness to learn and use the time-honored methods of bankroll management that will prevent you from going broke. in your head, you believe you are somehow better than those who do, and that you are not entitled to put in the long hours of grinding and learning the correct way to play poker that the rest of us who enjoy "real profits" do. you are similar to some dude on a playground who makes a half-court shot and believes he should just be able to jump straight to the NBA, because at your core you are egotistical and lazy - your ego prevents you from sitting at .50/1 because your raises do not command respect, and respect is something you need to validate yourself, you crave it and feel as if it is something you "deserve". refusing to curb these self-destructive tendencies will cause poker to become a source of anguish in your life, as you will continue on the same pattern and end up spewing away not only your poker bankroll, but you will start dipping into personal funds to chase your losses, leading to ultimate failure.[/quote']wow you have a pretty good idea how i feel.yes, now that i look at it i am a bit egotistical, and definately lazy.my game is probably not even half good as you guys. that is why i post my idiotic mistakes so get some help.and your flame was very thoughtful. not being sarcastic. thanks
sorry if it came off harsh - i can only post things like this because of my own brutal self-analysis as i know my own ego problems and respect issues, and it took a similarly harsh post like this for me to get my act together... when it comes down to it, the only difference between us is about 100k hands played and a couple books read, we are both still degenerates who want to make money without contributing anything useful to society :club:
it's impossible for you because you are a degenerate with absolutely no self-control, nor the willingness to learn and use the time-honored methods of bankroll management that will prevent you from going broke. in your head, you believe you are somehow better than those who do, and that you are not entitled to put in the long hours of grinding and learning the correct way to play poker that the rest of us who enjoy "real profits" do. you are similar to some dude on a playground who makes a half-court shot and believes he should just be able to jump straight to the NBA, because at your core you are egotistical and lazy - your ego prevents you from sitting at .50/1 because your raises do not command respect, and respect is something you need to validate yourself, you crave it and feel as if it is something you "deserve". refusing to curb these self-destructive tendencies will cause poker to become a source of anguish in your life, as you will continue on the same pattern and end up spewing away not only your poker bankroll, but you will start dipping into personal funds to chase your losses, leading to ultimate failure.
I dont know about the whole needing validation thing.I think it's more of not understanding limit poker.People get upset when others cold call their raises with aces not because they think that others don't "respect" them usually, but because they see it as decreasing their chances of winning the hand - which (because they don't consider the implications of this) they view as a bad thing. These are the same people who, when they become more accustomed to poker buzz words, argue that raising with aces preflop is to isolate.That same mentality leads to poor play. It's essentially the obsession with winning pots, rather than money. Of course on the other end of hte spectrum is being a weak/tight fool and folding to any scare card, any time.
I dont know about the whole needing validation thing.I think it's more of not understanding limit poker.People get upset when others cold call their raises with aces not because they think that others don't "respect" them usually, but because they see it as decreasing their chances of winning the hand - which (because they don't consider the implications of this) they view as a bad thing.  These are the same people who, when they become more accustomed to poker buzz words, argue that raising with aces preflop is to isolate.That same mentality leads to poor play.  It's essentially the obsession with winning pots, rather than money.  Of course on the other end of hte spectrum is being a weak/tight fool and folding to any scare card, any time.
perhaps. i was a psychology major, sometimes we can be prone to overanalysis. maybe i read too deep into it, but the tone of the OP's post struck me as being very similar to how i once was, and identifying that was a big reason i have become more successful at poker.

That might be it too. I just think it's funny how the whole game of 'respect' works between poor players.There's the general belief amongst low limit 'tards that folding when someone else raises is a sign of respect to them so that the better hand will win. They see it as a game of merit, where the superior preflop hand ought to win - and trying to "crack" superior hands is disrespectful to the game and the player.If aces end up losing, they all sympathize with the loser and chastize the other guy for calling his raise as if to suggest that he's done something terribly wrong. Disrespectful, even. How could he treat me like that and call my superior hand with that crap? - they'll ask. So in response, they decide that _they'll_ be disrespectful back, and start cold calling the other players raises with crap as if it's somehow exacting revenge on them. But in their own minds, they arent doing something unprofitable, they're breaking the unspoken rules of respect for their own personal gain. The supposed "respect" that they have for raisers actually makes them play better than if they had no respect for the raises. But the fact that they think they're doing it out of respect means that they're approaching the game all wrong.

Building your roll is a pain in the ass, but it is worth it. I'm building again after having to dip in to fix a car, but really 4 tabling you can easily move up to each limit in about 2-3 weeks if you play 15-20 hours a week. Plus you can slowly see moves that work in say .05-.10, but wont work in 1-2. I started back with $30 about a month ago and am now up to $150. 10k more hands(less if someone offers a decent re-load bonus), and I can be back up to partys .50-1 game. slowly building your bankroll will help fix serious leaks without you going broke.

>>>

I play at InterPoker and I hate it there!!!!!im just trying to clear my bonus and move to party, paradise, or stars.so far after that 1 hour session at 5/10 i played 1/2 and won 30 BB which was soon lost. and how do you guys afford to follow the 300 BB rule. it really is impossible. im serious. 300 needed to play .50/1 ??? and plus i dont understand how lots of money in your account or not very much money in you account influence the result of your poker game.as long as you have about at least 75 BB in you account and buy in for 25 BB you shuold be fine!how am I or anybody else with limited money in the actual bank suppose to see any good money with 300 BB rule.
<<<You aren't.I'm not one who flames, so please don't take it this way.That logic is exactly what causes most players to drop their whole bankroll over a period of time. People are impatient and want big money quickly.The 300BB (some say 250) rule allows a player room for cold streaks, which happen to everyone.Say you sit down at that .50/1 table with 25 bucks. That is a third of your bankroll. Say you have a bad run of cards that day and get blinded down...or your big hands get sucked out on a few times. Well all have those days. Fine. Then you sit back down again the next day and it happens again. Not too uncommon to have a couple bad days in a row, right? Fine, now the next time you sit down, you are putting nearly your entire bankroll on the line, depending on how much you salvaged from your previous two sittings.I have a friend who plays No-limit holdem cash games. And he is good at it. Very agressive and can push around, but almost always gets all his money in with the best hand.He will deposit 200 dollars into his account online and sit down at a 1-2 NL table...if he finds after a few sessions he is up to 400, he will sit down at a 2-4 table. If he finds himself up to 700 or 800, next time he will sit down a a 4-8 table. Eventually he gets unlucky...and when he does it ends up being for his entire bankroll (or nearly all of it). Then the process starts again. His reason for doing this "I want to play where the big money is."If you find you cannot sit down at a .10/.25 table, then stop playing. Save up money until you can desposit enough to sit down at a 2/4 table (1000 to 1200). However, if you do this, you MUST resist the temptation to jump up to a 3/6 or 5/10 game. If you are somehow in a posistion where you cannot save that kind of money, simply play the freerolls all the poker sites out there offer. Many of them are for small cash prizes and it is completely risk free.Almost any pro out there, when giving advice on maintaining a bankroll, will stress patience. You have to develop it if you plan on poker being some source of income for you.Hope that helps.
I always play .50/1 or 1/2 LHEim a super loose super aggressive .50/1.
aka "the maniac". A losing style.
at that level it gives me some huge profit and some huge losses.lately i've been down or broke even most of the time.
Not surprising.
and at that level profit is unsatisifying to me. good in terms of BB but in dollar terms, its not.
What profit ? You're down and broke. You mean you don't lose enough money ?
(since i only have 10 BB.... i played extremely tight and extremely careful.ex) not re-raising with AK when K hits on the flop. folding top pair when the turn brings a flush card or any scare card.  not playing Ax suited (when x is greater than 7).
That's weak tight. It's better than being a maniac, but it's still a losing style.
i like the 5/10 games much better because the raises are more respected than .5/1.  (and bonuses are cleared much faster :club: )of course i cant be sure of this for playing one hour at the level.
You absolutely don't want your raises to be respected. How will you make money if no one call your raises ?
so with the bankroll of $258 after that session, should i go back to the .50/1, 1/2  being aggressive or just stay at 5/10 playing tight careful poker.
Go back to .5/1 and try your weak tight style there. You'll see you'll win a lot more than before when you were a maniac. Then try to get Tight agressive instead (reraise with that AK on a K flop, play all Ax suited and all low pp from position, raise ATs, steal blinds with marginal hands, etc etc). Read some books. As you're not very patient, if you seem to have become a winning player, you can try 1/2 when you'll have 500 (but for higher levels, respect the 300BB rule). Never revert to your maniac or weak game, tho, not even for a round or two.Or you'll go broke.

wow... thanks for the flame and advicei really understand what it means when ppl say 'poker is a game of patience' i thought it only meant waiting for good hands to play at a tablebut i guess not!!!i realize now that being patient also means to slowly building a 'real' bankroll.. and wow being patient in that is much more harder than waiting for cards. geezpersonally i dont like waiting around but i guess i have to suck it up like a man... for the brighter future!i took ur advice and played .50/1, scrapped up 5-10BBs from here and there and the numbers are slowly starting to add up. very slowly.

I wouldnt use one session as an indication that it's working. You could still be a losing player, for all that we know.Get pokertracker. Log 10k hands. Report back with your statistics and post hand summaries.I dont have poker tracker yet. There're probably a few problems that i've left unresolved because of that. I know that most of my key stat figures are roughly where they should be, but there're many other things.Instead, i use the strat board to fix problems with my game. Im getting PT (hopefully) tomorrow.

I have a bunch of comments for OP1) Super-loose is a super-loser in limit hold'em. I guarantee you will lose money playing loose. Tighten up. Get "Small Stakes Hold'em" to learn starting hand selection. You need to see no more than about 25% of flops.2) Playing super-conservative is not smart. Check/calling with AK when the flop comes K high is suicide. You are inviting draws to stick around and beat you. Again, read SSHE.3) Why you need a BR: Some days you get average cards, and have average results. Some days you get bad cards and have bad results, and then there are truly horrible days. I have dropped 75 or more BB in the first hour of a session before. You need a buffer against the normal fluctuations variance provides. You also need enough money left in your bankroll that you're not afraid to bet/raise AK on a K high flop. Scared money is dead money.4) Multi-table to get through the levels. If playing 3 tables, you still truggle to make it up the levels, you need to fix your game, not your bankroll. Earn your way into the 5/10 game, and learn the skills you need to beat it along the way.5) I have made WAY more money in .5/1 from people disrespecting my raises than I ever could have made from people respecting them. Dont play crap hands. Dont stick around without odds to call, and punish the chasers when you're ahead. It's that simple. I've had pots capped 3-ways on the turn and river while I'm holding the nuts. Disrespect me all you like...just pay me.

I wouldnt use one session as an indication that it's working.  You could still be a losing player, for all that we know.Get pokertracker.  Log 10k hands.  Report back with your statistics and post hand summaries.I dont have poker tracker yet.  There're probably a few problems that i've left unresolved because of that.  I know that most of my key stat figures are roughly where they should be, but there're many other things.Instead, i use the strat board to fix problems with my game.  Im getting PT (hopefully) tomorrow.
i'm sure you already know this, but if not, get it through PSO.www.pokersourceonline.com. absolute is probably the easiest to clear after party. goodmanpoker referral just in case :wink:

Tangent time (in response to danny)...I threw $100 on Absolute through PSO, and I've had a somewhat miserable time getting through it. I've gotten through 260 raked hands, but I've managed to drop the roll on there to $50...so now I'm relegated to rebuilding at .05/.10 NL (where "raked hands" are rare) until I can get it back above hazardous level. A quarter of the roll disappeared when I got oversetted at .10/.25 NL and another quarter went bye-bye during a .5/1 6-max Limit session.I've found it to be just as rockish as everyone said. Oh, and the software seems buggy as hell. It's constantly kicking me off waiting lists for no reason.I'll be glad to get through it. Anyone got a suggestion for the next site? I've already got accounts on Party, Bodog, Paradise, and Prima (Royal Vegas). I wouldn't mind FT, but I'd like to have more to deposit when I start.