what would you recommend for...

someone who's never played poker for?I have SS2, caro's book of tells and hold em for advanced players, but none are appropriate for complete beginners.I dont have SSHE or Theory of Poker, but they seem like they'd be good places to start. Does theory of poker assume basic knowledge of the game?

If you'd never played before I recommend playing for play money before reading anything. Getting Started in Hold'em is a good one too.

• 4 weeks later...

Winning Low Limit Holdem by Lee Jones is a good starter book for newbies. Then, after it teaches you how to play weak/ tight, go read Small Stakes Holdem and become a shark.Theory Of Poker tends to be a bit overwhelming and confusing to the newer player. I've read it three times already, and still get a headache. :twisted:

• 5 weeks later...

I agree with econ_tim: Poker For Dummies is a very good starting place for someone whose knowledge of poker is minimal.If the person in question was thinking of playing in home games, Peter O. Steiner's Thursday Night Poker might be a good choice.