starting hands nl tournaments, help !!!

I just read the post about starting hands in limit and It made me realize that I was way too tight, probably even tight-weak. I think I became really predictable by being that tight.I play mostly NL tournaments with my friends. What should be my starting/raising hands ? I think I have to totally review the way I play. I'm kind of desperate right now, any advice would help me a lot. I think I should raise a lot more hands.I have to mention that I am quite new at poker and that my post-flop play is not very good yet.Thanks

There is no specified cards that you should or shouldn't play in holdem. The hands you play are dependant upon your position, the players you're at the table with, the size of your stack, blind structure, reads...ect. Now I don't mean that you can just play any hand that you want whenever you feel like it, but rather, that there is no definitive answer to your question. I suppose my advice to you would be to read Phil Hellmuth's Play Poker Like the Pros. The book is well written and it will teach you how to play good, solid poker until you have a better understanding of the game. I hope this helps you.

As you will probably hear from many people, it really does depends. But the biggest difference has not as much to do with blinds as it does your playing style, and also your playing strengths. I play a very loose aggresive style because I have a good ability to play postflop and put my opponents on hands. In a normal 10 seat tourny I am usually raising about 12% of pots preflop and seeing up 30% of flops, 6 seater (which I consider my strength) I am raising anywhere between 20-25% of pots preflop. This style leads itself to many swings in tournaments and often leads to big chip leads which turn into wins (or many times that turn into flame outs with 15 people left). I have found this is the correct style for me, however this may not be for you.If you are not as good post flop, or by nature are a more conservative person than playing a tigh agressive style would be better. THerefor your preflop starting hands will be only very solid, and your post flop play will be very solid also, rarely bluffing and basically playing ABC poker. So, first you must decide what kind of style will work for you and then use that.

U guys r realy rediculous hes a beginner. Listen brodont read hellmuths book its geared towards limit holdem and non- tournment format anyway. Heres what i suggest u play and how. Early position1. Play the following hands by bringing them in for a raise of 3-5x the BB. AA,KK,QQ,JJ,TT,AK,AQ,KQs. Also limp in with the followingAJs,KQ,ATs,99,88,77,66.With the poket pairs ure trying to catch a set.Middle position 1. If no raise (everyone folded ). Raise with AA,KK,QQ,JJ,TT,AK,AQ,KQs,AJ,KQ,KJs,ATs,99,88,77,66. at this point its either raise or fold. 2. If there is a raise in front of you reraise with AA,KK,QQ,JJ AK,AQ. Call with TT,99,KQs,AJs.Late position 1. If everyone folded raise with AA,KK,QQ,JJ,TT,AK,AQ,KQs,AJ,KQ,KJs,ATs,99,88,77,66,A9s,KTs,QTs,AT,JTs. IF there is a raise infront of you reraise with AA,KK,QQ,JJ,TT AK,AQ. Call with 99,88,77,KQs,AJs,KJs,ATs.The blinds 1. Small blindIf no raise raise with AA,KK,QQ,JJ,TT,AK,AQ,KQs,AJ,KQ,KJs,ATs,99,88,77,66,55,44,33,22,A9s,KTs,QTs,AT,JTs King high, Ace high,any two cards over a 9.If there is a raise use same guidlines as middle position but also call with any pair. 2. Big blind -raise with only AA,KK,QQ. Call with AA,KK,QQ,JJ,TT,AK,AQ,KQs,AJ,KQ,KJs,ATs,99,88,77,66,55,44,33,22 A9s,KTs,QTs,AT,JTs.While stack size and ure opponents are large factors in determining what hands to play i think this list will get you off to a good start playing tight -aggressive No-limit- holdem.

Generally,High cards are goodYou need better cards early then you do late. This is because the earlier you act, the worse position you have on your opponents. This disadvantage is overcome by playing better cards.Medium pocket pairs play better against a lone opponent or many opponents, but not against 2-4 opponents. You want to flop a set against many opponents, and more of them in the pot means better pot odds to hit it.Large pocket pairs play best against 1-2 opponentsSuited connectors are good against many opponents, much worse against few.Early, you want two big cards, either paired or unpaired. Don't dip much below AK, AA, KK, QQ. Suited is a nice bonus. Always raise with any of these. If the table is fairly non-aggressive, you can limp with quite a few more hands (such as Neb41 suggested) but if there's lots of preflop raising in every pot, you don't want to be stuck in your position with less than a premium hand.As you get in later and later positions, open with more hands.If you're late and there's lots of limpers in the pot, play more suited connectors.

I know it was said once, but let me reiterate.... Do not read Hellmuth's book... it's written for beginners, but if you play that way you'll probably lose a lot of money. There are much better books out there, and if you're talking NL... I haven't gotten my copy, but it sounds like Dan Harrington's book is the best one so far.

remember any hand beats a folded hand, as long as he doesn't hit u can play anything. I like playing the small cards for 3 reasons, i like to bluff, if u hit, u bit hit, if u miss u miss huge, no need getting trapped with aj vs ak.I'll play the really marginal hands such as 63s or 74s etc and raise witih them, but will throw away aq aj kq kj etc not in position or to a raise cuz they will cost u dearly if your dominated. Whatever u play play it agrressively.

Theres no set rule to play NL poker...just like any other game...find your style tho.I will say something about chinaman's low cards statement.#1: if you raise before flop with them you may get a big payoff but there is more risk than return because with those types of cards.....1/4 times u may have the best hand after flop...dont like that at all#2: You cant feel confident or good when someone is betting big and you have low cards. Confidence is a very important part of the game.#3: |Say you do play 6,3 suited and the flop comes......5, 4, 7 comes...giving you a straight, if you are in a heads up duel with someone the chances are they have something along the lines of Ace queen, well thats great that you flopped a straight and all but how many chips do you actually expect to get from a guy when all he has is ace high?#4: This just opens yourself up to bad beats....you flop 2 pair and some guy flopped aces....well say the board pairs up or the guy with the aces catches his other card to make a higher 2 pair.#5: THe payout is extremely good for playing premium hands....say you play ACE KING....an ace flops with 2 low cards and another person is holding ACE QUEEN....you have them dominated and they cannot get away from that hand, you can be putting out 300 chips bet following every card that comes off on the board and they will be commited to call you, and hell they may even put you all in after seeing that flop.....HELL YEA thenAll these theories come from my head....no silly book....who needs a book...play your own game....the pros knwo you dont need a book, they just want you to pay for their tournament fees.Hope you find it informative. You can play however you want.Opp234 :roll:

PUMP IT OR DUMP IT!That means if your first in the pot (assuming you have the cards to play that hand) you raise. If you can't raise, get rid of it. This is especially true of playing in early position. Of course if your in late position and there is already multiple limpers in it is okay to limp as well. Chances are you might drive a few of them out with a raise but if they think your putting a play on them, they might come over the top of you. Also, if it is raised in front of you it really depends on your read of the player as to wheter fold, smooth call or re-raise.Hope this helps.tg

PUMP IT OR DUMP IT!That means if your first in the pot (assuming you have the cards to play that hand) you raise.  If you can't raise, get rid of it.  This is especially true of playing in early position.  Of course if your in late position and there is already multiple limpers in it is okay to limp as well.  Chances are you might drive a few of them out with a raise but if they think your putting a play on them, they might come over the top of you.  Also, if it is raised in front of you it really depends on your read of the player as to wheter fold, smooth call or re-raise.Hope this helps.tg
This goes for most hands in a tournament although Mid Pocket pairs, You want to limp in with... you only hit them on the flop about 1-10 times... so don't pump it...

Don't let an article or a post from these folks tell you what you are doing is wrong, IF YOU ARE WINNING.If you aren't winning, you need to change something. The things I struggled (and sometimes still do) with are:Playing too many hands. Not betting agressively enough when I get hands. Getting fancy. (figuring that a guy who raised in early position MUST have JJ or better, when I've seen him do just that with garbage. Twice.)Anyway. it might help to look at these things. I like the advice about raising instead of calling. When you call you can only win by having the goods. When you raise you can win by having the goods (and win more,) or win by your opponent folding (even if his hand is better.) You can also gain information about where you are. Well, lots of good reasons. Back to your point. Tight isn't bad, as long as its balanced with aggression.