Are their any unofficial guidelines for betting in NL games. I know your opening bet should be about 3 or 3.5 times the BB, but what about the flop, turn and river. I am afraid that I am not betting enough. Is it a judgement call. I know each situation is different, I am just wondering if there is a uniform place to start.Thanks Orville

Depends on what you think you're opponent has. If you think they're drawing, you may want to overbet the pot etc.I think there's a lot to be gained from being consistent in your bets in NL. I like pot sized bets with the occasional "I'm trying to sell my hand," bluff, where on the river I take my time.... wait about 5-10 seconds, then make a bet way less than the pot to seem like I have an icredible hand that I'm trying to get value out of.Consistency grants you deception. Bet the same when you are bluffing as when you have the nuts. There's always exceptions though, especially pre flop.Weak players make the mistake of betting the strength of their hand (i.e. betting small on the button with middle pair, betting on the river after a check down all the way and they hit 3rd or 2nd pair and are trying to get value). Online players are exceptional at picking up on this because we only have betting patterns as any real tell. If you're consistent you give away virtually no tells.

in harrington on holdem he talks about preflop raises being multiples of the bb. a big bet being 5x the bb. after the flop think in terms of the pot... so half the pot as a probe bet or two thirds as a semi bluff or the pot as a value bet or what ever the situation requires. also when you bet you have to think about what pot odds you are giving to the other people in the pot...so if you think he is on a draw you dont want to give him the odds to call...so on and so forth.I hate when somebody raises it 4x the bb preflop and then bets the min. on the flop...its just bad poker

I try to keep my bets consistent. Online betting patterns are the key thing I track when playing live or online.But for me, I usually raise the same amount w AA or 78, and if I bet it's usually 3/4 the size of the pot, to a pot sized bet.I will vary it up if I'm up against certain types players. But that of course should be obvious.As I said though, I usually keep my bets the same, especially if I raise preflop I will almost always follow it with a solid bet on the flop. No matter what. That's important for me cause people know I'm aggressive with my hands, so if they put me on a bluff they either are going to have me outflopped, or outplay me.Makes me more than I lose, but I have had some nasty swings during sessions.- Jordan