how's everyone doing these days?????????????

I read a couple of posts where people were talking about having bad sessions recently. My intention is not to turn this into a bad beat thread. I just wanted to see if I could help with some positive feedback. Hopefully others can share as well. Please don't be ashamed or feel that others will ridicule you. I will do my best to make sure that this thread stays positive.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been in a bit of a down variance swing.Playing on Full Tilt i've gone 897 hands without being dealt pocket Aces, just as an example.Please help me feel positive. :-)

I've been in a bit of a down variance swing.Playing on Full Tilt i've gone 897 hands without being dealt pocket Aces, just as an example.Please help me feel positive. :-)
I've gone through a ton of dry spells myself. Periods of time, when I would get the Aces and lose. And then go for weeks without getting Aces. Catch 22 I know. I guess the key is to stay calm. Examine your game, make sure that you're playing correctly (aside from the misfortune of not getting Aces). Usually it all works out in the end, as long as you don't go on tilt and start blowing money left and right. Good Luck.

I recently just went broke so I'm taking a break and working on my Genesis collection. After a couple more days I will go over my HH's and reread some books. Then it's time to make a new gameplan and I will redeposit when the bonus comes around.

I recently just went broke so I'm taking a break and working on my Genesis collection.  After a couple more days I will go over my HH's and reread some books.  Then it's time to make a new gameplan and I will redeposit when the bonus comes around.
Taking time off is always a good idea after going broke. It usually gives you time to reflect. A lot of you guys are really into the bonus system. I wouldn't get too hung up on that personally. I would look for the games and the limits where I have the biggest edge and exploit that. Let me know how things progress. Good Luck.
how to build up a bankroll A.S.A.P.
Two ways to go about doing that. Either get staked. Don't know if I reccomend that. Or start grinding it out again. I can't stress game selection enough. Finding the limit and the game that you are best at, and maximizing your edge is key. Also read Barry Greenstein's book ASAP. It will help you tremendously. Good Luck.

What cracking Steve.I feel as though I have run cold most of the month... Not terrible cold but I definately feel as though in the big pots and the key hands that kinda define a session I have generally taken the worst of it.Yesterday was a bit of a low point. I can usually cover my cash game losses with tournament wins but yesterday I lost in cash games, heads up and short handed tournaments. My bankroll took a bit of stick and I will have to spend a couple of days consolidating now.I was gutshotted on a host of occsions and ran like 0 for 9 in coinflips. Key coin flips as well like heads up final 2 or where you make the re-raise and are pot commited. I dont like playing coinflip poker as I can usually find better spots but it was one of those days where it was necessary.I think lot of people blame variance too readily and I have been trying to think outside the box a little and look at other reasons why I am not as successfull as I often am but thus far, to no avail.

I mean the deposting bonus so that way I get more money than just depositing when I feel like playing again.
Oh, I know what you meant. But sometimes it seems like people spend all their time trying to clear a bonus at a site. Rather then finding a good game to play in. Free money is never bad though.
Two ways to go about doing that. Either get staked. Don't know if I reccomend that. Or start grinding it out again. I can't stress game selection enough. Finding the limit and the game that you are best at, and maximizing your edge is key. Also read Barry Greenstein's book ASAP. It will help you tremendously. Good Luck.
Really? I didn't fancy it. Why you think it is so good? I think I have an irrational fear of Barry Greenstein. Maybe it is the new beard.
What cracking Steve.I feel as though I have run cold most of the month... Not terrible cold but I definately feel as though in the big pots and the key hands that kinda define a session I have generally taken the worst of it.Yesterday was a bit of a low point. I can usually cover my cash game losses with tournament wins but yesterday I lost in cash games, heads up and short handed tournaments. My bankroll took a bit of stick and I will have to spend a couple of days consolidating now.I was gutshotted on a host of occsions and ran like 0 for 9 in coinflips. Key coin flips as well like heads up final 2 or where you make the re-raise and are pot commited. I dont like playing coinflip poker as I can usually find better spots but it was one of those days where it was necessary.I think lot of people blame variance too readily and I have been trying to think outside the box a little and look at other reasons why I am not as successfull as I often am but thus far, to no avail.
People talk about variance quite a bit on this site. Obviously variance is a bigger factor in no limit vs. limit. The swings can be huge.The bottom line is, if you are a better player then your opponents, you will win in the long run. Variance or no variance, that's my opinion. As a side note. If you feel that you are superior to those you are playing against. Avoid coin flips like the plague, you stand nothing to gain from it. Good Luck.
Really? I didn't fancy it. Why you think it is so good? I think I have an irrational fear of Barry Greenstein. Maybe it is the new beard.
At this stage in my life, I'm not as concerned with a how to book. I felt that Barry's book was the first that addressed the SKILLS and the mental attitude needed to being a winning pro poker player. Just my opinion.

Interesting you should say that... I was in a big local book store and flicked through something like 20 different books. I honestly didnt think that any of them would make a significant difference to my game. Too many of them regurgitate the same stuff with different hand examples, all of which an experienced player will have come across a number of times. Maybe BG's is the one I need to look at next.TY.

I'm actually doing quite well this month. Took 3rd in an MTT Friday night, and am beating 5/10 on Party for 5.3BB/100 over my first 2600 hands. Only problem I have is that I get ahead of myself in the middle to late stages of MTTs and give away a lot of chips that I shouldn't. I often think that people who come over the top are making a move on me and need to be more disciplined.

I mean the deposting bonus so that way I get more money than just depositing when I feel like playing again.
Oh, I know what you meant. But sometimes it seems like people spend all their time trying to clear a bonus at a site. Rather then finding a good game to play in. Free money is never bad though.
I agree. A lot of people focus on bonus more than their own play. Of course it is good to get free money and all, but don't just depend on it. Improve your game and take the bonus as a gift. Also besides bonus, you can look into rakeback and stuff.

I have run really bad the past 2 weeks, losing a good portion of my bankroll. Thankfully, I've been keeping a big bankroll for my regular game, so my bankroll is not totally shot, but a moveup in limits is out of the question for now and I'll have to contiune grinding it out at the middle limits.I took a couple shots at a 10/20 NL game that was particular juicy and took some tough beats there, set of Aces getting cracked, straight rivered by a flush and etc. It hindsight, I probably should not have played in this game, despite it being very very soft. This game plays very high with usually 50k on the table.This downswing also includes a 200 big bet downswing in my regular game, so lately I've gotten rocked and have not been feeling all that confident in my game. You know the typical Aces getting cracked by AK, set over set and etc. I've turned more to tournaments this past week, they're like a relief really, it lets me work on my game and still think about poker, but not worrying too much about losing, because all I can lose is my Tournament Buy-In.Regardless, it's been very stressful and this has probably been the most stressful time ever since I've started only playing poker for income. I've got bills to pay, rent, school tuition and etc to pay for this upcoming month and having a downswing come at this time is not what I needed. I think a move down will be needed if I can't start running a bit better with these bills piling up.

Ive lost 60% of my bankroll in the past 2 weeks, over $2500. I'm not sure if even know how to play anymore. Cold deck city. I tried to get back into the swing of things again today, I should have taken this hand early on in the session as a warning sign that the cards are not ready to cooperate with me yet ...http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?page=vi...iew&hand=114832

8 tabling Prima Poker these days at .5/1Trying to build up the old roll. Roll going up and down right now tho cuz of some bad sessions.Quite happy with the way im playing tho :club:
I don't thinkg you should be 8 tabling then, sorry to say. Roll going up and down is due to not enough focus on the hands you are playing, 8 tabling .5/1 is way too many hands. I play much higher limits and I find even 3 tabling reduces my skills a lot. I bet if you went down to 4 tabling, you will not have as many bad seesion, just MO.
I'm actually doing quite well this month. Took 3rd in an MTT Friday night, and am beating 5/10 on Party for 5.3BB/100 over my first 2600 hands. Only problem I have is that I get ahead of myself in the middle to late stages of MTTs and give away a lot of chips that I shouldn't. I often think that people who come over the top are making a move on me and need to be more disciplined.
Congrats on your tourny success. In regard to late stages of MTTS, I would e-mail Brett if you have questions. The guy is great at making it to the final table. The first three MTTS I played online, I had to call him in the middle and get some advice. Online tournys play much differently than live tournaments, and he gave me some great advice. Clearly you're beating the cash games for a handsome profit. So it sounds like you found the perfect mix of cash games and tourny's. Good Luck.
8 tabling Prima Poker these days at .5/1Trying to build up the old roll. Roll going up and down right now tho cuz of some bad sessions.Quite happy with the way im playing tho :club:
I don't thinkg you should be 8 tabling then, sorry to say. Roll going up and down is due to not enough focus on the hands you are playing, 8 tabling .5/1 is way too many hands. I play much higher limits and I find even 3 tabling reduces my skills a lot. I bet if you went down to 4 tabling, you will not have as many bad seesion, just MO.
Its not a problem at this level. However you might be righgt about it when I move up to 1/2.Its more due to the fact that Im playing slightly above my roll since its 8 tables.But last time i tried moving up to 1/2. I did seem to get slaughtered not only with some beats but possibly some bad decision making due to the fact that opponents at 1/2 tend to bluff more.