im taking a shot (15/30)

it was 4 handed at the time. BB is kind of weak/tight but loosens up against me because im LAG.15/30I get 9 :club: 8 :) in the SB.Its folded to me and I complete, the BB checks his option.flop is 7 :D 4 :D 2 :D I bet, BB raises, I call.turn is the 9 :) I check, BB bets, I raise...there might not be much to discuss, but whatever.

Seems like you played it well. Maybe the person has two over's or maybe even A7. A lead on the river and you may take the pot. Nice Hand. Joe

Nice hand. You played it well.I also just took a shot at a higher game, and it paid off nicely.I went to 1/2 No Limit and doubled just about my ENTIRE account in about an hour. I wish I doubled my bankroll, but I only had about twenty percent of it in my account.

nhLimping is way better than raising preflop there.-Travis
Travis, feel free to post here more often.What do you usually play?
4table 15/30 party4table 30/60 party on the weekends :wink: This is fun, I haven't posted strategy in a long time. The best way to get better,imo, is to discuss hands with good players. So I look forward to doing that here.-Travis

i'm also curious why limping here is best. what kind of hands in this situation work best as a limp, and what hands work best as a raise? and why?i'm thinking that any hand with decent top pair value (Ax, Kx, some Qx and some Jx) work best as a raise, while the rest serve as limps (sometimes folds in games with ridiculous rake).also, wrto, what are you doing after you autobet on the river if the weak/tightie raises you? does it change depending on the river, or is it always a fold UI since he's weak/tight?aseem

I would limp preflop with this hand most of the time... but I'm not sure if or why it's the best play.wrto and travis, why is limping better here?
Limping here is better for MANY reasons: In a 15/30 game, the small blind is 10. It is only costing you $5 in to a $25 pot. ( 5:1 )you have almost ZERO fold equity, since the BB knows he will have position on you for the rest of the hand, and he is getting 3:1 on his call. Your hand ( the 8-9 ) also doesn't figure to be a prohibitive favorite either. If you raise, you are almost forced to lead the flop no matter what, or check and give up the pot to a bet. Calling lets you get that 5:1 when you KNOW you will win the pot more than 1 in 5 times, while raising moves you all the way down to getting 1.25:1, with little fold equity.
I would limp preflop with this hand most of the time... but I'm not sure if or why it's the best play.wrto and travis, why is limping better here?
Limping here is better for MANY reasons: In a 15/30 game, the small blind is 10. It is only costing you $5 in to a $25 pot. ( 5:1 )you have almost ZERO fold equity, since the BB knows he will have position on you for the rest of the hand, and he is getting 3:1 on his call. Your hand ( the 8-9 ) also doesn't figure to be a prohibitive favorite either. If you raise, you are almost forced to lead the flop no matter what, or check and give up the pot to a bet. Calling lets you get that 5:1 when you KNOW you will win the pot more than 1 in 5 times, while raising moves you all the way down to getting 1.25:1, with little fold equity.
I'm not sure i see how ur getting this 1.25:1 ratio stuff... But I'll definitely agree that limping is best here. Akishore I would rethink ur raising strategy here. Raising with any facecard will ultimately end in ur doom (yes u will die a horrible horrible death).

I'm not sure i see how ur getting this 1.25:1 ratio stuff... But I'll definitely agree that limping is best here. Akishore I would rethink ur raising strategy here. Raising with any facecard will ultimately end in ur doom (yes u will die a horrible horrible death).Theres $25 out there already. $10 Small Blind, and $15 Big Blind. All considered a "part of the pot". If you have to call $5 in to that $25 pot, then you are calling $5 to win $25, hence getting 5:1. If you RAISE, you are putting in the $5 + $15 to raise, which = $20, in to a $25 pot, which is 2.5:2 or recuded, 1.25:1 .

um, i'm sorry. why has no one questioned your call on the flop? what exactly are you hoping to catch? if you are trying to take it from him, why not 3-bet? am i missing something? turn is fine, river is fine.

um, i'm sorry. why has no one questioned your call on the flop? what exactly are you hoping to catch? if you are trying to take it from him, why not 3-bet? am i missing something?
we have two overcards. "loose flop calls" (misc section of SSHE) applies here. we will check/fold the turn UI, but we have several outs to improve on the turn (two overcards and possible straight draws).aseem

I know this is a more general question, but what hands are we folding in the SB when it's folded to us? I prefer to raise or fold and more rarely limp.

great post