$50 to $1000 on pstars day 7

The GoalTo turn $50 in my first Pokerstars deposit into $1000.The RulesI'll play only Limit games, primarily Holdem, though I might mix in some O8 or Stud etc. later on.I won't move up in limits without at least 300BB for the new limit. I will post hands that I win and lose and explain my thinking behind how I played them.I'm too lazy to spellcheck. Deal with it.Day 7 Fifty hands from the trenches. A couple of people have asked me to post more hands where I fold or have asked what I play where pre-flop so today I decided to play 50 hands and just post them all. Tedious you say? Tedious is what I'm all about!!Fair warning, the vast majority of these hands will be me folding pre-flop.As luck would have it I ran into one of those low limit tables where people play pretty well pre-flop and then just horribly after the flop. I like to call these tables "Tight-sh!tty"I also had an exciting run of garbage hands and ended up seeing the flop with around 20% of my hands, including the blinds.Here we go!*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [3d 4s]osfnetmedic: folds thecandle: folds Exciting! :D Obviously no one should be playing 34o unless they don't like money.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Qh 8c]TheWaterDoc: folds osfnetmedic: folds thecandle: foldsNo one should be playing Q8 either.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Td 9h]AzureWolf: folds TheWaterDoc: folds osfnetmedic: folds thecandle: foldsNo one should be playing 9To. *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [9s Kc]blackcollar: folds AzureWolf: folds TheWaterDoc: calls $0.05osfnetmedic: folds thecandle: folds No one should be playing K9. Let me say that again, no one should be playing K9, allthough a lot of people seem to even at 3/6.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [6h Ts]AzureWolf said, "ty"blackcollar: folds AzureWolf: folds TheWaterDoc: calls $0.05osfnetmedic: folds thecandle: folds I'm going to abbreiate no one should play this as NOSPT going forward to save time. *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [2d 7d]Serene: calls $0.05blackcollar: folds AzureWolf: calls $0.05TheWaterDoc: calls $0.05osfnetmedic: folds thecandle: CAPS IT BABY!!! Just kidding. NOSPT, obsiously.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [5c 2d]Serene: folds blackcollar: folds AzureWolf: folds TheWaterDoc: calls $0.05osfnetmedic: folds thecandle: foldsNOSPT *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [4d 5h]tampico57: folds Serene: folds MingRey: calls $0.05blackcollar: folds AzureWolf: raises $0.05 to $0.10TheWaterDoc: folds osfnetmedic: folds thecandle: foldsNo should call a raise with this in the BB.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [5s 9h]thecandle: folds NOSPT.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [9c 4s]AzureWolf said, "nh"WayoR: calls $0.05osfnetmedic: folds thecandle: foldsNOSPT.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Qd Tc]TheWaterDoc: calls $0.05WayoR: folds osfnetmedic: folds thecandle: foldsNOSPT in middle position.Really. It's a hand that's played far too much by most players out of positon IMO. I'd play it on the button, or one off. Dealt to thecandle [8s 7d]AzureWolf: folds TheWaterDoc: folds WayoR: folds osfnetmedic: folds thecandle: folds I hope there aren't people out there who play unsited connectors under JQ anywhere but the blinds.Hey, I folded the winner here, I just noticed. It's important to ignore that sort of thing obiously. If I had 78o and folded it ten times and all ten times it would have won, I'd still fold it the 11th time.You should too.tampico57: checks Serene: folds MingRey: calls $0.03blackcollar: checks *** FLOP *** [8h 3d Kh]MingRey: checks blackcollar: checks tampico57: checks *** TURN *** [8h 3d Kh] [Ts]MingRey: checks blackcollar: checks tampico57: checks *** RIVER *** [8h 3d Kh Ts] [7h]MingRey: checks blackcollar: checks tampico57: checks *** SHOW DOWN ***MingRey: shows [4d 3c] (a pair of Threes)blackcollar: shows [Js 8c] (a pair of Eights)tampico57: mucks hand blackcollar collected $0.15 from potJust showing how it would have made two pair.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Jc Ks]tampico57 joins the table at seat #7 blackcollar: folds AzureWolf: raises $0.05 to $0.10TheWaterDoc: folds WayoR: folds osfnetmedic: folds thecandle: foldsDon't cold call two bets with KJ. Don't.I mean it. Don't do it.It's a big leak for many low limit players. Don't be them. Even when flops look like this when you fold: Serene: folds MingRey: calls $0.05*** FLOP *** [Jh 3c Js]*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [5s Jd]MingRey: calls $0.05blackcollar: folds AzureWolf: calls $0.05TheWaterDoc: calls $0.05WayoR: folds osfnetmedic: calls $0.05thecandle: foldsNOSPT *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [4s 7s]Serene: folds MingRey: calls $0.05blackcollar: folds AzureWolf: raises $0.05 to $0.10TheWaterDoc: folds WayoR: calls $0.10osfnetmedic: folds thecandle: foldsDon't call a rais in the BB with any two suted cards. I know it's tempting. I know you allready have that one bet in the pot. I know it's unlikely you're dominated.Don't do it. For the same reason you wouldn't call one bet on the button with 47s. You wouldn't right?Sure you might flop a flush draw. But still! Don't. MingRey: calls $0.05*** FLOP *** [2s 5d 9s](I wouldn't have made the flush BTW)*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [2d 6h]thecandle: folds NOSPT*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Qh 5s]osfnetmedic: folds thecandle: folds NOSPT*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [2s Th]WayoR: calls $0.05osfnetmedic: folds thecandle: folds NOSPT*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [2s 5h]boo's girl: calls $0.05Barracuda2 is disconnected TheWaterDoc: folds WayoR: folds osfnetmedic: calls $0.05Barracuda2 is connected thecandle: foldsNOSPT *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [2h 9c]blackcollar: folds boo's girl: calls $0.05TheWaterDoc: calls $0.05WayoR: calls $0.05osfnetmedic: folds thecandle: foldsAre we having fun yet?I heard a rumor that sometimes you can two of the cards with pictures on them in the same hand, anyone know if that's true?*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [3d 9d]MingRey: folds blackcollar: raises $0.05 to $0.10boo's girl: calls $0.10TheWaterDoc: folds WayoR: folds osfnetmedic: folds thecandle: foldsI heard you could get two of them the same suit with one with a picure on it too.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Jh 8h]smhighstakes: folds MingRey: folds blackcollar: folds boo's girl: checks TheWaterDoc: calls $0.05WayoR: calls $0.05osfnetmedic: calls $0.03thecandle: checksHoly crap, I get to see a flop. I get all excited, sit up in my chair waiting for my SWEET SOOOOOTED cards to hook up with a straight flush.*** FLOP *** [Qh As 2d]osfnetmedic: checks thecandle: checks boo's girl: bets $0.05TheWaterDoc: calls $0.05WayoR: folds osfnetmedic: folds thecandle: folds So anyway...*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Jh 5c]thecandle: foldsNOSPT *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Kh 6s]thecandle: folds NOSPT*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Ad 9c]WayoR: folds thecandle: folds Say it with me. Ace Nine unsuited SUCKS.Sat it again.Now fold it every time.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [2c Kh]blackcollar: folds TheWaterDoc: folds WayoR: folds thecandle: foldsNOSPT *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Qs 2c]MingRey: folds blackcollar: folds TheWaterDoc: calls $0.05WayoR: folds thecandle: foldsNOSPT *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Th 4h]xaceking: calls $0.05MingRey: folds blackcollar: calls $0.05TheWaterDoc: folds WayoR: calls $0.05thecandle: calls $0.03Complete a small blind with any two suited cards.Peekiboo81: checks *** FLOP *** [3d 7h Qc]thecandle: checks Peekiboo81: checks xaceking: checks blackcollar: checks WayoR: checksFree card with the backdoor flush draw, things are looking up! *** TURN *** [3d 7h Qc] [5d]thecandle: checks Peekiboo81: bets $0.10xaceking: calls $0.10blackcollar: calls $0.10WayoR: folds thecandle: foldsSo anyway... *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [2h Th]thecandle: foldsFold them even though they are SOOOOOTED.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Kh 5c]BuckWild613: folds thecandle: foldsFold like the wind. *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [3c Ks]WayoR: folds BuckWild613: calls $0.05thecandle: foldsFold like France in WW2. *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Td 8h]adidaht: folds TheWaterDoc: calls $0.05WayoR: folds adidaht leaves the tableBuckWild613: calls $0.05thecandle: folds On the button or one off maybe.If more people were allready in the pot in front of me maybe. Here? Fold like Colts last Sunday.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [6c 3c]blackcollar: folds adidaht: folds TheWaterDoc: checks WayoR: folds BuckWild613: folds thecandle: foldsFold like the Yankees with a three game lead in a best of seven series. *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [As 8d]xaceking: calls $0.05MingRey: folds blackcollar: folds adidaht: calls $0.05WayoR: folds BuckWild613: folds thecandle: folds Say it with me. EVEN ON THE BUTTON, ACE EIGHT OFFSUIT SUCKS.Say it again.Now fold it every time.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Ts 8c]rwavers: folds xaceking: folds MingRey: raises $0.05 to $0.10blackcollar: folds adidaht: calls $0.10WayoR: calls $0.10BuckWild613: calls $0.10thecandle: folds Fold like the Dean Campaign in Iowa.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Th 9c]Peekiboo81: folds rwavers: calls $0.05xaceking: folds MingRey: calls $0.05blackcollar: folds adidaht: folds WayoR: calls $0.05BuckWild613: calls $0.03thecandle: checks What's this?? A flop??*** FLOP *** [Kc 7c Td]BuckWild613: checks thecandle: checks rwavers: bets $0.05MingRey: folds WayoR: folds BuckWild613: folds thecandle: foldsHoly shit, a pair! Raise!! Raise!! I raise!! Or not. Sometimes middle pair is just middle pair. Pot's small, no added value from draws, etc. Fold like Spasky in 72.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Jc 7h]thecandle: folds Fold like a Gap worker with a Tee Shirt.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [8s 4h]BuckWild613: folds thecandle: foldsFold like Dan Harrington with AJ. *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [5d 7d]WayoR: calls $0.05BuckWild613: checks thecandle: folds Fold like you mean it.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [5d Jd]adidaht: calls $0.05buddybaron: calls $0.05WayoR: folds maxent: folds thecandle: foldsFold like Julia Childs making bread dough. *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Th 5h]blackcollar: folds adidaht: folds buddybaron: calls $0.05WayoR: calls $0.05maxent: folds thecandle: foldsFold like the Lakers vs the Pistons. Dealt to thecandle [6h 4d]MingRey: folds blackcollar: folds adidaht: folds buddybaron: raises $0.05 to $0.10WayoR: folds maxent: folds thecandle: foldsThere's an expression card players use called being "cold decked"I wonder what that means.... *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [7d Ks]xaceking: calls $0.05Peekiboo81 joins the table at seat #7 MingRey: calls $0.05blackcollar: folds adidaht: checks buddybaron: calls $0.05maxent: folds thecandle: foldsFold like Martha Stewart with a sheet. *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [3d 2h]poolman2: folds rwavers: calls $0.05xaceking: folds MingRey: folds poolman2 leaves the tableblackcollar: folds buddybaron: calls $0.05clark ken: folds clark ken leaves the tablemaxent: folds thecandle: checks Come on A45 daddy needs a new pair of testicle warmers!! (really, they get cold some times. I could use like a couple of little round mittens...)*** FLOP *** [7d Ks 8h]thecandle: checks rwavers: checks buddybaron: bets $0.05thecandle: foldsFold like Chris Webber calling a time out. *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [7s Js]thecandle: foldsFold even though this hand looks like a MONSTER at this point.Discipline wins money, grasshopper. *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [7h 4d]maxent: folds thecandle: folds Fold like Shaq shooting a free throw.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [4d 3h]blakalicious [observer] said, "nh"clark ken: folds maxent: calls $0.05thecandle: foldsFold like Tiger in a major. *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Ah Td]buddybaron: calls $0.05clark ken: folds maxent: folds thecandle: calls $0.05poolman2: calls $0.05rwavers: calls $0.05xaceking: calls $0.05blackcollar: folds g0dly joins the table at seat #10 paulie67: checksCALL! A hand, it's a hand! Like a ****ing 7-11 after wandering through the desert for a year. *** FLOP *** [6s 3d Ad]paulie67: checks buddybaron: bets $0.05thecandle: calls $0.05poolman2: calls $0.05rwavers: folds xaceking: calls $0.05paulie67: calls $0.05Raise to charge the flush draws? Maybe. It's still AT though.*** TURN *** [6s 3d Ad] [As]paulie67: checks buddybaron: checks thecandle: bets $0.10Much less likely I'm outkicked now. I'm not intrested in trying to C/R here as I almost allways just end up giving a free card.poolman2: folds xaceking: calls $0.10paulie67: calls $0.10buddybaron: calls $0.10*** RIVER *** [6s 3d Ad As] [Ac]Well, I'm pretty sure I'm not outckiced now.paulie67: checks buddybaron: checks g0dly leaves the tablethecandle: bets $0.10xaceking: calls $0.10paulie67: calls $0.10buddybaron: folds *** SHOW DOWN ***thecandle: shows [Ah Td] (four of a kind, Aces)xaceking: shows [7h 7c] (a full house, Aces full of Sevens)paulie67: mucks hand thecandle collected $1.27 from potNot the most exciting quads hand I've played, but I'll take it.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Kd 8s]jeff_536 [observer] said, "gotta post that one tomorrw..."benj13blue: folds buddybaron: folds clark ken: folds benj13blue leaves the tablemaxent: folds thecandle: foldsFold like a Jets kicker. *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Kd Kh]jeff_536 [observer] said, "you on teh full contact forum?"blackcollar: checks benj13blue: raises $0.05 to $0.10buddybaron: calls $0.10clark ken: calls $0.10maxent: folds thecandle: raises $0.05 to $0.15Everyone of course three-bets this, right?I know no one just calls, worried that an Ace might flop, right?I don't know if that guy was talking to me or not I think I was ignoring chat at that point, but I have to say I'm constantly amazed how many people drop in to watch me playing microlimit games.poolman2: calls $0.15blakalicious [observer] said, "yeah, ive been reading it for awhile, just registered"rwavers: folds xaceking: folds blackcollar: folds benj13blue: calls $0.05buddybaron: calls $0.05clark ken: calls $0.05Lots of callers. Yay!*** FLOP *** [9c Ad 7c]benj13blue: checks buddybaron: checks clark ken: checks thecandle: bets $0.05poolman2: calls $0.05benj13blue: calls $0.05jeff_536 [observer] said, "cool...i've been there about six weeks or so...why'd you join? you a negreanu fan?"buddybaron: calls $0.05clark ken: calls $0.05Ahh man. Well, with an A on the flop and it checked to me I have to bet for value I guess. All the calls worry me a little. I think a weak ace just calls here.*** TURN *** [9c Ad 7c] [6s]benj13blue: checks buddybaron: checks clark ken: checks thecandle: checks poolman2: checks Did I miss a bet? Probably. What was I thinking? I was thinking that a weak ace would bet the river after a checked around flop and I could let go of it. I almost certainly should have bet, but multiway on a not great table I'm a little gunshy.*** RIVER *** [9c Ad 7c 6s] [7h]benj13blue: checks buddybaron: checks clark ken: checks thecandle: bets $0.10By now betting, the turn I let someone with a 7 hit trips, but I'm kciking myself for not value betting the turn so I have to recover whatever I can on the river if I'm ahead, whcih I almost certainly am.poolman2: folds poolman2 is sitting outbenj13blue: folds blakalicious [observer] said, "yeah, i lked reading his journals... and then i noticed there are some good posts on the forums"buddybaron: folds clark ken: calls $0.10*** SHOW DOWN ***thecandle: shows [Kd Kh] (two pair, Kings and Sevens)clark ken: mucks hand thecandle collected $1.34 from potblakalicious [observer] said, "woo nh"Yeah. I played it kind of goofy though. Dealt to thecandle [Ts Js]rwavers: folds xaceking: calls $0.05Jompi: calls $0.05benj13blue: folds clark ken: folds maxent: folds thecandle: calls $0.03poolman2: checks Obviously commplete a SB with TJs.*** FLOP *** [5c 9s Ac]thecandle: checks poolman2: checks xaceking: checks Jompi: checks *** TURN *** [5c 9s Ac] [Td]thecandle: bets $0.10poolman2: folds xaceking: calls $0.10Jompi: foldsSeems likely I'm ahead. *** RIVER *** [5c 9s Ac Td] [Ad]thecandle: bets $0.10Jompi leaves the tablexaceking: folds thecandle collected $0.40 from potthecandle: doesn't show hand /shrug.Well that's 50 hands from the treches. Try to contain your quivering excitment about the complex tactical plays I made.:)ResultsStarting Bankroll: $72.58Ending Bankroll: $73.65Playtime: 50 handsNet: $1.07BB/100: 20 I guess. I might have made a few pennies playing Stud 8 last night, but not much more than that.

Nice, so you played like 4 out of 50... man that's rough! Never even saw an AQ or a PP. Good stuff though... I'd probably end up doing the same thing with the KK and then losing to the 7's....luckily it didn't happen this time.

Complete a small blind with any two suited cards. smash, what if you are first in? do you still complete. my fear is i limp from the SB with say T4s and the BB raises. now where am i? muck? call?i know i can depend on what you know about the player in the BB, whether to raise to try to steal etc...

Enjoyable as always, Smash.I also saw you playing .02/.04 Omaha8 last night. Just wondering if that is part of the 50-1000 or just killing time. Doesn't your bankroll dictate you could play at least .05/.10?Keep up the good work.

smash, what if you are first in? do you still complete. my fear is i limp from the SB with say T4s and the BB raises. now where am i? muck? call?i know i can depend on what you know about the player in the BB, whether to raise to try to steal etc...I'd raise pretty much all of the time with any two suited cards first in from the SB.Call a three bet and fold the flop if you don't hit the flush draw or two pair or whatnot.

I also saw you playing .02/.04 Omaha8 last night. Just wondering if that is part of the 50-1000 or just killing time. Doesn't your bankroll dictate you could play at least .05/.10? Just killing time.I loose it all back ussually playing way too many hands. If I drop down from what I sat with I play well till I get it back.

Nice, so you played like 4 out of 50... man that's rough!  Never even saw an AQ or a PP.  Good stuff though... I'd probably end up doing the same thing with the KK and then losing to the 7's....luckily it didn't happen this time.
I think the important point here is that he folded 46 of 50 hands, if your count was right, or 92%, and he made money. A lot? No. But it was only 50 hands. Discipline will pay off in the long run. And on good nights, it will pay off in the short run, too.Thanks for posting this one, Smash. Time to pick off yet another leak in my game that this series pointed out.

Fold like Julia Childs making bread dough. You write romance novels. Just saying. Once again, compliments. You're everything I hope to someday be, except girls tell me I'm cute. So I'm already that. So whatever you are, I wanna be me, minus everything, plus the cuteness. Now that I think about it, that might be a pity thing. I'm an idiot,Ice

smash, what if you are first in? do you still complete. my fear is i limp from the SB with say T4s and the BB raises. now where am i? muck? call?i know i can depend on what you know about the player in the BB, whether to raise to try to steal etc...I'd raise pretty much all of the time with any two suited cards first in from the SB.Call a three bet and fold the flop if you don't hit the flush draw or two pair or whatnot.
So if it folds to you, you raise with any suited, and you call a reraise with this hand and play the flop. What about multi way pots when youre on the sb, say an early raiser and 2-4 callers, what do you call with then?

So if it folds to you, you raise with any suited, and you call a reraise with this hand and play the flop. What about multi way pots when youre on the sb, say an early raiser and 2-4 callers, what do you call with then?No, I'd never call a raise with them, even from a button raiser.Oh sorry, were you askinng what I'd call a raise with in the SB? Any pocket pair, any big suited connector, AJs, KQs, etc. AKo, and AQo.I'd fold AJ, KQ, 89s etc.

Dont mean to drill you, but what about any pocket pair with a button or cutoff raiser, say 33 with a cutoff raiser, do you reraise or simply call, and if so, what difference does it make the limits, say calling vs raising in that situtation with certain pairs, (i think its time we start a forum on this shit). (ps, i think youre good sh.t to help people out with the game) GO PATS

Dont mean to drill you, but what about any pocket pair with a button or cutoff raiser, say 33 with a cutoff raiser, do you reraise or simply call, and if so, what difference does it make the limits, say calling vs raising in that situtation with certain pairs, (i think its time we start a forum on this censored). (ps, i think youre good sh.t to help people out with the game) GO PATSI'd fold 33 to a cutoff raiser.It's too much of a pain to play postflop.I'd fold 22-66 and threebet 77 or better.A button raiser is harder to judge, it would depend a lot on how often he raised PF from the button normally. With no reads I'd fold the small pairs.

smash just owned me. haha we both had pocket pairsDealer: x3000gtx has three of a kind, SixesDealer: thecandle has three of a kind, EightsDealer: Game #1105954035: thecandle wins pot ($3.10) with three of a kind, Eights

hey smash do you find yourself playing hands you normally wouldnt? i cant resist from staying in almost every hand for 5 cents lolYeah, I noticed that. Thanks for the donation to the project :PI play alittle looser against maincs, so I may have been in with some marginal hands against you :D

hey smash do you find yourself playing hands you normally wouldnt? i cant resist from staying in almost every hand for 5 cents lolYeah, I noticed that.  Thanks for the donation to the project :PI play alittle looser against maincs, so I may have been in with some marginal hands against you :D
no problem. i still finished up $1 even tho i stayed in like 90% of the time preflop. laugh.gif

If you found a table that plays so poorly after the flop, why didn't you see more flops from late position with marginal hands to take advantage of this more often?

If you found a table that plays so poorly after the flop, why didn't you see more flops from late position with marginal hands to take advantage of this more often?Beacuse they play well preflop. Think about it.Playing more hands in that situation is a bad idea. Playing tighter but more agressively after the flop with premium hands against players who will go too far post flop but play good pre-fllp hands is the way to win there.Playing Q9 against people who fold any queen with a weaker kicker isn't a way to make money.

Obviously, i think the leak that was highlighted here is that many newbies play WAY TOO MANY HANDS.I think most people get into poker for the action...they don't have the discipline to fold 46 out of 50 hands, and they probably lose a lot at showdown to a higher pair or fold when they don't hit their straight or flush on the river.Fascinating stuff and yes, it was me who watched you play half a dozen hands or so, lucky enough to catch the quad A.