another 10-20 no limit hand at commerce......

I've played a couple of times.Oh, you meant Daniel.
well, jon sure was familiar with the raise button at the one he "played" at
Jon is a really cool guy. He sweated me in the last tourny that I played online when I took 4th place. It was really cool of him. As for playing at the strat table, he kept saying......if I'm gonna play, I might as well raise, lol.
rotflmao. I agree with those sentiments exactly
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Steve, I think especially with a deep stack, there's no need to get into these big pots without a huge hand. What do you think about checking the turn and using your instincts as far as what to do on the river? I know you give up control of the hand, but if your opponent is tough and tricky and you feel they can outplay you, perhaps it's best to be cautious in pots with them and try not to mix it up with them unless you have a big hand"Two Jacks with that flop and turn is a pretty big hand. The two problems with checking the turn are. If he has an Ace or a King, or Ace King, he's drawing for free. The second problem is. If he has a smaller pocket pair, and an Ace or a King comes, he can represent one of those cards on the river with a BIG bet. I think their might be more then one way to play the hand. Checking the turn is certainly an option. But again, with a player that is truly unpredictable, it's difficult to know what the right play is sometimes.
The problem with this hand I think is you have no idea where your at. Your opponent "Daniel" is unpredictable, but at the same time, he knows what he's doing and I think he can safely put you on a high pocket pair with the way you bet your hand. I don't think many people with less than a pair would fire twice at this pot. I also don't think a flop call with just overcards would make much sense either. I think with this board, giving a free card would not hurt your hand too much, because your either ahead comfortably against a small pair or crushed against a Queen or overpair. I agree with Daniel's assessment of how to play Jacks in a loose NL game. Granted, 10/20 NL is about the highest I've played and don't have a whole lot of experience at NL, but in a wild game like this, I always proceed with caution as players can have anything and I'd prefere to get my money in when I'm pretty sure I have the best of it. I just don't think Jacks are a huge hand in this spot, because what are you getting paid off by? If I'm Daniel and I see you firing at this pot, I think I put you on a high wired pair and wouldn't pay you off with a smaller one.

great thread -- I haven't tried NL cash games yet, but isn't the check/call on the flop scary? Followed by a check on the turn? Seems like a trap to me... just my $.02, learning a lot here

it is easynot only do u have very nice oddsyou are also pot commitedu have 1100 in the pot maybe more (i cant member)and only 600 left, you would be if way worse position if u dont make the callbut if he has a queen then that sucks but thats poker, have to go with odds in this spot

Check the turn through.When he called your bet on the flop you should think something was up. Now I'm sure this pro is certainly capable of being tricky enough to call a flop bet with the intention of pushing you out on the turn, but checking through on the turn is better than making a weak (40% of pot) bet that commits you AND could be check-raised all in. Especially when you had the option for the free river.Notice how my scenario plays out: check/check the turn. River a blank, pro has only two choices: Check (and give it up) or bet, and the only bet that means anything here is an all-in pot bet... which is conveniently almost exactly your stack. That you can fold if you read him for a jack. If not you can make a brilliant call, but I'd probably fold JJ for a river bet from a tricky player.

Check the turn through.When he called your bet on the flop you should think something was up.  Now I'm sure this pro is certainly capable of being tricky enough to call a flop bet with the intention of pushing you out on the turn, but checking through on the turn is better than making a weak (less than pot) bet that could be check-raised all in.If the river is a blank, and he pushes in on you, then it's all about reads.  And that's a much easier fold, because you haven't bet off 400 of your stack.
Exactly what I was thinking, but I suppose it could be criticized as weak poker
Exactly what I was thinking, but I suppose it could be criticized as weak poker
Not at all. Weak poker would be checking the flop. It's prudent to check through the turn IN POSITION and take the free card when it's quite possible Mr. Negreanu has a Q.But while we're on the subject, I would have liked to see a bet closer to 500 on the flop instead of a half pot bet. That would make Daniel tip his hand strength if he just calls (because only a psycho or someone with a Q check/calls a pot bet on a QQ2 flop with that much money in it). Or, Daniel could check/raise all-in on the flop, which is a laydown I'm capable of making.I've never played 10/20, but I've played a LOT of 1/2 and 2/5 and this seems pretty standard to me. Good re-raise preflop... bet 500ish on the flop. If Negreanu check/calls the flop and checks the turn, then check through. If he pushes on the river, or check/pushes the flop, then lay it down.