how should I have played this?

I was in the big blind with A :D 7 :) . Four people called and I checked. There was $5 in the pot. The flop came 10 :D 10 :club: 8 :) . The first guy bet $2, and everyone called. I had the nut flush draw and was getting 6.5 to 1 on my money. So I called because I was getting good odds on my draw. I called, making the pot $15. The turn brought the 9 :D . First guy checked, as did the second. Third bet 5, 4th called, I reraised all in to $20, and the first position person reraised! 3rd position called all-in. 1st guy showed 10-9 for a full boat and 3rd position guy showed 9-9 for a smaller boat. Needless to say, I lost. I am not writing this because it was a bad beat, I just want to know if I played my flush wrong. I thought the nut flush would be good, only to find 2 people had full houses. What should I have done?

dont really see a fault in your play, you were going for the flush and you made it... too bad it was the key card that gave both the other guys boats as well as you the flush.. the worst card in the deck for you. I wouldn't be able to get away from this... but then again im not a very good poker player yet.

since you had position on the 2 guys with boats, if you just called the turn, first would have raised probably and 3rd guy probably would have reraised. then you might have gotten away from it. but i don't know whether pushing or just calling on the turn there is better

SICK turn. The case 9 filling out all three hands like that.Can't really see your way out of this, especially since it sounds like you didn't buy in for much $ anyways; a .50/1.00 NL game for 20-30 bucks... that doesn't exactly leave you much room to manuever.And at least you had two outs to the straight flush redraw... :club:

With a pair on the board, you have to be much more careful with your flushes. Basically when you go all-in there you're saying "Hi guys, I have the flush" and if they can't beat it, they get out of your way, but if they can well then you get called.It might sound weak, but you could always check-call in this situation. If you're ahead, you're about a 4-1 favorite if someone has trip tens, but if you're already behind a boat... well, you see what happens...

hmm - if people are limping on the flop - I'd raise a little to see where people are at - it's likely people are slowplaying trips so you want to be aware of that. That's why gunning for a flush with a paired board is very dangerous. Great players will put you all-in when you have the nut flush and bust you with their slow-played boat - if you know they have trips - it cuts down your out (with the redraw) and you may just muck and look for a better spot.

This is a tough situation that arises quite often. For one a raise preflop probably would've got the 10-9 guy to lay down his hand. But that really solves nothing in this particular case since other player woulda boated anyways. This hand was for the rake.

I think if you do a bit of raising here before the turn, it might have saved the hand for you... (might). I know the A7 suited isn't a very strong hand, but if I'm going to play it there with all those limpers, than I'm probably going to bet with it pre-flop, and then bet/raise post-flop. Barring the pre-flop raise, I think a post-flop raise definetly tells you that you're facing trip Tens, which might give you the stop sign. (With the added bonus that if you bet the flop and he calls, he may just check the flush to you on the turn giving you the choice of trying to take down a small cheap pot by checking, or betting it up if you think your flush is good.

I was in the big blind with A :D  7  :) . Four people called and I checked. There was $5 in the pot. The flop came 10 :D  10 :club:  8 :)  .  The first guy bet $2, and everyone called. I had the nut flush draw and was getting 6.5 to 1 on my money. So I called because I was getting good odds on my draw. I called, making the pot $15. The turn brought the 9 :D  . First guy checked, as did the second. Third bet 5, 4th called, I reraised all in to $20, and the first position person reraised! 3rd position called all-in. 1st guy showed 10-9 for a full boat and 3rd position guy showed 9-9 for a smaller boat. Needless to say, I lost. I am not writing this because it was a bad beat, I just want to know if I played my flush wrong. I thought the nut flush would be good, only to find 2 people had full houses. What should I have done?
You have to be a little careful when the board pairs. It's not always an ideal situation to get your all your money in the middle. I try to avoid going allin (even with the nut flush) on a paired board. When 5 people limp into a pot and the board pairs, you have to be even more careful of someone having a boat. Also, I don't understand why you re-raised allin when you had position and the nut flush. I would have just called the bet on the turn and then re-raised allin on the river. You have to give people who are chasing a flush to catch up to you or if they have lets say the King or Queen high flush to bet into you. However, I may have just called a bet on the river with a paired board.
Barring the pre-flop raise, I think a post-flop raise definetly tells you that you're facing trip Tens, which might give you the stop sign. (With the added bonus that if you bet the flop and he calls, he may just check the flush to you on the turn giving you the choice of trying to take down a small cheap pot by checking, or betting it up if you think your flush is good.
What?? ... Someone is going to have to explain this one to me. If I bet the flop and he calls, I put him, like you said on trip 10's, or a flush draw. Ok ... now this is where I get confused. 9d comes on the turn, giving me the nut flush and filling the straight draw. How exactly do I "take down a small cheap pot by checking"? For that matter, how do you ever take down a pot by checking???You have to think your nut flush is good and that only someone drawing to a full house has you worried. If you don't want to give someone the chance to hit their boat, then you'll bet big and try to take it down right there. IF the guy moves in on you, you'll probably call and you'll be right to do so most of the time. An all in move is much more likely coming from a player with trip 10's or a smaller flush, or even the nut straight.The play I like most with this board is to check the turn and hope the guy fills his flush or straight on the river so I can make some more money off of it. You have to be a very, very good player and you have to play this hand perfectly and have the perfect read on your opponent to get away from losing all your money. Most ppl on here, regardless of what they say, will lose their money on this hand, and I would say that those that wouldn't lose their money generally play too tight and don't make much money off of their monster hands. Just my 2 cents.

Most ppl on here, regardless of what they say, will lose their money on this hand, and I would say that those that wouldn't lose their money generally play too tight and don't make much money off of their monster hands. One, most people on here, regardless of what they say lose money in general.Two, the nut flush on this turn is a marginal hand, not a monster. I didn't really look at your hand too deeply aside from thinking "donkeys allways draw to the flush on paired boards in NL." Maybe it was ok because of the pot size, I don't really care. If you don't want people to analyse your play based on results DON'T POST RESULTS

Two, the nut flush on this turn is a marginal hand, not a monster.  ]
In this case, any other diamond except the case 9d giving you the nut flush on the turn makes you an 80% favorite to win this hand. Maybe not a MONSTER, but I wouldn't call it marginal. You're only losing to 10,10 ... 88 .... 99 .... 910 ... JdQd. And you still have redraws to all of these.

In this case, any other diamond except the case 9d giving you the nut flush on the turn makes you an 80% favorite to win this hand. Maybe not a MONSTER, but I wouldn't call it marginal.You're only losing to 10,10 ... 88 .... 99 .... 910 ... JdQd. And you still have redraws to all of theseThat'd be usefull information in limit. In NL you're ussually only getting action when you're crushed on this flop.

In this case, any other diamond except the case 9d giving you the nut flush on the turn makes you an 80% favorite to win this hand. Maybe not a MONSTER, but I wouldn't call it marginal.You're only losing to 10,10 ... 88 .... 99 .... 910 ... JdQd. And you still have redraws to all of theseThat'd be usefull information in limit.  In NL you're ussually only getting action when you're crushed on this flop.
Good Point ... I play limit almost exclusively, and that is exactly how I was thinking when I made that reply.And re-draws to everything but the JdQd ... my mistake.

I'm not a pro but I'm wondering why anyone would push a flush with the board paired? It seems a medium bet would be the thing to do here, if you are raised then you know where you're at and continue on from there. I'm a limit player though so anything I say about NLHE is not sound advice. :?

Very difficult to get away from this hand the way it was played. A bad bet was made on the flop and it ended up screwing you. With a paired flop, and a nut flush draw, I would hope that someone gave me the wrong price so that I could easily fold my draw. Raising the flop may have gotten you out of it 2 ways (both not incredibly likely though): 1) if the bettor was planning on coming over the top right then, you could get away without losing all your chips2) a strong enough flop raise by you might suggest trip 10's better kicker scaring off the 99 and MAYBE the 109You hit your money card on the turn that made you third best. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that you had a redraw to a two-way straight flush which makes this hand even harder to fold on the turn.Bad timing screws you in NLHE. I still check the BB with Ax suited and a multiway pot every time.

I'm not a pro but I'm wondering why anyone would push a flush with the board paired? It seems a medium bet would be the thing to do here, if you are raised then you know where you're at and continue on from there. I'm a limit player though so anything I say about NLHE is not sound advice.  :?
Although could be wrong, my thinking in NL is I'm only pushing when I have the best possible hand and have position. Player in front of me signifies strength in a bet I'm hoping he'll call, but I don't push when first to act on a board where I know I'm not ahead. Just very rare I'll put all my chips at stake; of course that can cost me a lot of winnings in the long run possibly, but it also protects my winnings thus far...i dunno...just my opinion
Barring the pre-flop raise, I think a post-flop raise definetly tells you that you're facing trip Tens, which might give you the stop sign. (With the added bonus that if you bet the flop and he calls, he may just check the flush to you on the turn giving you the choice of trying to take down a small cheap pot by checking, or betting it up if you think your flush is good.
What?? ... Someone is going to have to explain this one to me. If I bet the flop and he calls, I put him, like you said on trip 10's, or a flush draw. Ok ... now this is where I get confused. 9d comes on the turn, giving me the nut flush and filling the straight draw. How exactly do I "take down a small cheap pot by checking"? For that matter, how do you ever take down a pot by checking???
You misread my post. And didn't follow my point to begin with. You'll note that I said: 'trying to take down a small cheap pot by checking'. Note the operative word is TRYING.The explanation behind it is that if you're worried that his set of tens might fill, but you think your flush is good than you check here on the turn, and call a small bet on the river. I.E. You try to keep the pot small (and reduce the callable riverbets in size proportionally) by checking behind him on the turn.It's not really that hard to get that from what I was saying, I'm sorry if you needed it to be more clearly spelled out. Although you didn't need it spelled out to assume that I thought you'd somehow get him to fold by checking... but whatever.Is what I meant clear enough now, or do you need further explanation. (sorry if I'm hostile, but you could easily have asked for an explanation of what I meant before you decided to be an utter asshat and flame me for what you think I might have meant if I'd just gotten a lobotomy.)
The play I like most with this board is to check the turn and hope the guy fills his flush or straight on the river so I can make some more money off of it.  You have to be a very, very good player and you have to play this hand perfectly and have the perfect read on your opponent to get away from losing all your money.  Most ppl on here, regardless of what they say, will lose their money on this hand,  and I would say that those that wouldn't lose their money generally play too tight and don't make much money off of their monster hands.  Just my 2 cents.
Most people on here, regardless of how little they have to contribute, will post onto this type of thread to make an obvious point that everyone else has already agreed with and try to make it sound like they're the voice of disagreement. It's already been covered by multiple people that this is a hand that's almost impossible to get away from once the turn hits, and I'm pretty sure I'd stated that too (if I didn't it was only because I think 500 people all posting the same thing is stupid). My post was only meant to indicate that a slightly different way of playing the hand MIGHT have resulted in him ending up with some chips left in his admittedly crippled stack. Is it 99.9% likely that anyone goes broke on this hand? Yep. NOONE has said that's not the case, absolutely NOONE. Is it possible that different pre and post flop play might have changed that percentage? Yes.He asked for alternative ways of playing them, and I listed two... so what exactly is your problem?
What?? ... Someone is going to have to explain this one to me. If I bet the flop and he calls, I put him, like you said on trip 10's, or a flush draw. Ok ... now this is where I get confused. 9d comes on the turn, giving me the nut flush and filling the straight draw. How exactly do I "take down a small cheap pot by checking"? For that matter, how do you ever take down a pot by checking???
You misread my post. And didn't follow my point to begin with. You'll note that I said: 'trying to take down a small cheap pot by checking'. Note the operative word is TRYING.The explanation behind it is that if you're worried that his set of tens might fill, but you think your flush is good than you check here on the turn, and call a small bet on the river. I.E. You try to keep the pot small (and reduce the callable riverbets in size proportionally) by checking behind him on the turn.It's not really that hard to get that from what I was saying, I'm sorry if you needed it to be more clearly spelled out. Although you didn't need it spelled out to assume that I thought you'd somehow get him to fold by checking... but whatever.Is what I meant clear enough now, or do you need further explanation. (sorry if I'm hostile, but you could easily have asked for an explanation of what I meant before you decided to be an utter asshat and flame me for what you think I might have meant if I'd just gotten a lobotomy.)
The play I like most with this board is to check the turn and hope the guy fills his flush or straight on the river so I can make some more money off of it.  You have to be a very, very good player and you have to play this hand perfectly and have the perfect read on your opponent to get away from losing all your money.  Most ppl on here, regardless of what they say, will lose their money on this hand,  and I would say that those that wouldn't lose their money generally play too tight and don't make much money off of their monster hands.  Just my 2 cents.
Most people on here, regardless of how little they have to contribute, will post onto this type of thread to make an obvious point that everyone else has already agreed with and try to make it sound like they're the voice of disagreement. It's already been covered by multiple people that this is a hand that's almost impossible to get away from once the turn hits, and I'm pretty sure I'd stated that too (if I didn't it was only because I think 500 people all posting the same thing is stupid). My post was only meant to indicate that a slightly different way of playing the hand MIGHT have resulted in him ending up with some chips left in his admittedly crippled stack. Is it 99.9% likely that anyone goes broke on this hand? Yep. NOONE has said that's not the case, absolutely NOONE. Is it possible that different pre and post flop play might have changed that percentage? Yes.He asked for alternative ways of playing them, and I listed two... so what exactly is your problem?
Awesome! ... if you would've said that in the beginning, you wouldn't have had to post twice. Even so, the whole thread, starting with the original post is pointless. Including your check to TRY to take down a small pot. Remember, there are 4 players, and our hero said he was in the big blind. Meaning he's out of position, with at least one person (but probably two) to act behind him. In your defense, he replays all of the action as if he were on the button.Checking it down is fine, if you only play with the absolute nuts, it's just a bit too passive for your position IMO. Don't forget, more times than not a bet will force out those hands drawing to the nuts, while checking will let them fill up .... for FREE. And sure he asked for alternative ways to the play the hand, but I don't think he was looking for the WRONG alternative ways. For example, an alterative way to play a straight flush is to check it to the river and fold to any bet.Anyway, I think you should lay down and take a nap .... it seems like your last reply may have gotten your blood pressure up.CHEERIO!
Awesome! ... if you would've said that in the beginning, you wouldn't have had to post twice.  
Sorry that I didn't post for your 4th grade reading level.
Even so, the whole thread, starting with the original post is pointless.  
Which means your reply fits right in, yes?
Remember, there are 4 players, and our hero said he was in the big blind.  Meaning he's out of position, with at least one person (but probably two) to act behind him.  
Interesting, after your previous venting about how you can't possibly check to win a small pot, you then point out that with 4 players with live hands in the pot (none of whom are all-in) there might be two to act behind the big blind.How exactly can he big in the big blind with 4 live hands all w/chips in the pot and NOT have two players behind him?
In your defense, he replays all of the action as if he were on the button.
It wasn't a .defense. of anything, it was an alternate way of playing the pot, and if you think the only position you can raise with a bunch of limpers in the pot is if you're on the button then you're in no position to tell anybody, anything.There are other positions where you can play aggressively.
Checking it down is fine, if you only play with the absolute nuts, it's just a bit too passive for your position IMO.  Don't forget, more times than not a bet will force out those hands drawing to the nuts, while checking will let them fill up .... for FREE.  And sure he asked for alternative ways to the play the hand, but I don't think he was looking for the WRONG alternative ways.  For example, an alterative way to play a straight flush is to check it to the river and fold to any bet.
Right-o... to explain... again... for the 4th grade reading level.The Original Poster asked for ALTERNATIVE ways of playing the hand. By tacit, or explicit statement each of the posters on this thread have said that you're 99.9% likely to go broke here, and that almost all good play is going to land you right back where you started... (with the exception that raising against the limpers *might* have pushed out the 10 - 9, and that continued aggression *might* have pushed out the 99). So... if the tacit argument is that both good, and 'standard' play goes broke here then by it's very nature any alternatives are suggesting risky, sub-optimal or marginal play. So... standing up on your soapbox and saying the suggestions are bad... is the same as telling the people in the 'If you won a million $ tourney' thread that all their posts are just hypothetical.
Anyway, I think you should lay down and take a nap .... it seems like your last reply may have gotten your blood pressure up.CHEERIO!
Is this where I'm supposed to say 'Your momma'? Just checking.

Interesting, after your previous venting about how you can't possibly check to win a small pot, you then point out that with 4 players with live hands in the pot (none of whom are all-in) there might be two to act behind the big blind.How exactly can he big in the big blind with 4 live hands all w/chips in the pot and NOT have two players behind him?

Oops ... He can't ... making the original poster's mistake even worse, and your scenario of how to play the hand even more far fetched
In your defense, he replays all of the action as if he were on the button.
It wasn't a .defense. of anything, it was an alternate way of playing the pot, and if you think the only position you can raise with a bunch of limpers in the pot is if you're on the button then you're in no position to tell anybody, anything.There are other positions where you can play aggressively.
Wow, I missed this one ... you really messed up here. You managed to say the exact thing I was trying to portray. That being that you should play this hand aggressively from EVERY position, except MAYBE the button, where you're last to act. Hence, in DEFENCE of your suggestion to MAYBE, HYPOTHETICALLY, FOR A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE ON THE HAND, check your nut flush with 2 ppl behind you, you were saying this under the assumption that the player was on the BUTTON. Anyway ...