was this correct?? comments please

OK, im play mtt with 930 entrants and its a 30 dollar buy-in. 12 people remain and the blinds are 3000/6000 and i have 67,000 after posting my sb. The action is folded over too the button who raises it to 20,000. I have pocket 3's and decide to re-raise all-in based on the blinds increasing to 4000/8000 and my m. After his raise he has around 58,000 left so he barely has me covered. We are playing 5 handed and the other table has 7. I figured he might be trying to steal the blinds since they are increasing and his m will decrease as well. He calls and shows AhQh and he flops a Q. I read in Harringtons new book about a similiar problem and he said it was the right move to make because towards the end of the tournament everything revolves around m. Would anyone disagree with this move??

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure what else you do in that situation. I suppose you could have folded, since you didn't have much invested in the pot. But how much longer can you sit around and wait for a hand? If I told you preflop that your opponent had AQ, I am pretty sure you would have liked your odds with that pocket pair. You know how it goes. You have to win the coin flips to win a tournament.I'd like to hear if anyone else would have played it differently than you did.

OK, im play mtt with 930 entrants and its a 30 dollar buy-in. 12 people remain and the blinds are 3000/6000 and i have 67,000 after posting my sb. The action is folded over too the button who raises it to 20,000. I have pocket 3's and decide to re-raise all-in based on the blinds increasing to 4000/8000 and my m. After his raise he has around 58,000 left so he barely has me covered. We are playing 5 handed and the other table has 7. I figured he might be trying to steal the blinds since they are increasing and his m will decrease as well. He calls and shows AhQh and he flops a Q. I read in Harringtons new book about a similiar problem and he said it was the right move to make because towards the end of the tournament everything revolves around m. Would anyone disagree with this move??
67000 in chips, bro..there is no way you go all in with pocket threes. The WORST play I think I have ever heard of..a decent reraise maybe, then lay down to the better hand when he goes all in. Why would you put it all on a coin flip?? What was the top prize like 5K? horrible play.

67000 in chips, bro..there is no way you go all in with pocket threes. The WORST play I think I have ever heard of..a decent reraise maybe, then lay down to the better hand when he goes all in. Why would you put it all on a coin flip?? What was the top prize like 5K? horrible play.Hi. Did you not notice the blinds were 6K or are you just an idiot.Let me know.

67000 in chips, bro..there is no way you go all in with pocket threes. The WORST play I think I have ever heard of..a decent reraise maybe, then lay down to the better hand when he goes all in. Why would you put it all on a coin flip?? What was the top prize like 5K? horrible play.Hi. Did you not notice the blinds were 6K or are you just an idiot.Let me know.
come on smash, you and i both know that the correct play is to raise to 50k, leaving yourself 17k in case he goes allin, which means you KNOW your 33 is crushed and you can fold, waiting for better pot odds.
Always the nice guy. I'm still not pushing with pocket threes. You can find a better spot.
Always the nice guy. I'm still not pushing with pocket threes. You can find a better spot.
yeah...you can wait for aq...since you know, you're an underdog to someone calling with threes and all.
yeah...you can wait for aq...since you know, you're an underdog to someone calling with threes and all.
i won't even run the numbers, obviously the 3s have a slight advantage, but what is the point? You just don't do it, period. AQ will call, and why risk it? There is a better spot to make your move.
i won't even run the numbers, obviously the 3s have a slight advantage, but what is the point? You just don't do it, period. AQ will call, and why risk it? There is a better spot to make your move.
like what? you're playing 5 handed, you've picked up (as VVP would say) a real hand, a wired pair, and you've got an M < 10...what exactly are you waiting for, the aces fairy to come down and tickle your nuts?
also, what is the point? so, the button has to have an allinable hand to raise there? button could make that move with any hand whatsoever, from 27 to aces...fold equity + strength of hand + stack sizes in relation to blinds = easy allin (or tough fold...which wouldn't be bad, but i like it less than i do the push)
like what? you're playing 5 handed, you've picked up (as VVP would say) a real hand, a wired pair, and you've got an M < 10...what exactly are you waiting for, the aces fairy to come down and tickle your nuts?
I'm not putting my whole tourney on a flip when it's not necessary, simple as that. With a raise to 20K what the hell do you think the guy has, a better pp or Ax in either case you are in bad shape, go for broke with the threes if you'd like, I say it's a bad play.[/b]
i'd raise all-in, but only because i have a personal attachment with 33 :wink:. but if i didn't, i'd fold. 44 to AA has you beat, anything else has you at a coinflip. i also wouldn't want to risk my tournament life on a coinflip, and i'd personally be more confident in my ability to steal blinds. you're also in the SB, so you get to see a few more hands and look for a better spot if you fold. as few hands as that may be, i'd take the risk.
I'm not putting my whole tourney on a flip when it's not necessary, simple as that. With a raise to 20K what the censored do you think the guy has, a better pp or Ax in either case you are in bad shape, go for broke with the threes if you'd like, I say it's a bad play.
guy raised it just over 3xbb...you don't think someone could be stealing there, at a 5 handed table?

I'm not putting my whole tourney on a flip when it's not necessary, simple as that. With a raise to 20K what the hell do you think the guy hasIt's nessicary when you have 10 BB.Stop playing NL tournaments immediately.

I'm not putting my whole tourney on a flip when it's not necessary, simple as that. With a raise to 20K what the censored do you think the guy has, a better pp or Ax in either case you are in bad shape, go for broke with the threes if you'd like, I say it's a bad play.
guy raised it just over 3xbb...you don't think someone could be stealing there, at a 5 handed table?
it's very likely, yes. Even with a trash hand, his card are probably still live and overs to my small pp...
I'm not putting my whole tourney on a flip when it's not necessary, simple as that. With a raise to 20K what the hell do you think the guy hasIt's nessicary when you have 10 BB.Stop playing NL tournaments immediately.
Oh mighty one, keep making your millions playing limit.
it's very likely, yes. Even with a trash hand, his card are probably still live and overs to my small pp...
and he's calling allin with the 48o he just raised with? like smash said...quit nl tournaments immediately if you don't understand what we're talking about....or keep doing them if reloading is what you prefer.
Ok.Would you fold 10-10 here?99? 88?- Jordan
no, but that's because you have 22-99 dominated. plus you're less likely to be humiliated by a 9988x board. plus 10-10 takes away some straight potential from AQ. but most importantly, you have 22-99 dominated.

Oh mighty one, keep making your millions playing limit.Hi. You know nothing about NL tournament theory.Sorry. Truth hurts sometimes.I might end up making a million from limit in the next 5 or 6 years actually. Thanks for the support!

Whatever, wait untill you have 19,000 then take a coinflip to try and double up.
but smash, by then maybe 2 more people will have been eliminated so he'll move up in the pay scale by $15 or so!