july 16, 17 - canterbury cardroom

Alright, so it's looking like I'm gonna hit the Canterburry cardroom in Minnesota this friday and possibly saturday. I did a search on this and found that they spread down to 2/4, which is good considering that's what I'm playing right now. Any specials there I should know about?Also, this is going to be my first trip to a B&M cardroom, so if someone can hook me up with most of the basics, that'd be great. When do I tip the dealer? How much? Players are all loose, I assume. How much should I bring with me? To play 2/4, should I buy-in with 100 like I do online? More? Less?I should be arriving between 7:00 and 8:00pm on Friday night, if anyone wants to join me. Not sure if/when I'm going Saturday night - depends on what the family decides to do.Any and all help is appreciated. Don't worry about me taking your money - we all know I'm a fish. :club:

I go there 2xs a week its a lot of fun. Tuesdays aces cracked win 75. Sunday morning 15 dollars buy in tourney shootout firtst pays 1000.I tip the dealer 1 dollars every hand i win at 2/4. The tables are very loose. They will call raises with any two cards..Better to go late at night 10 11 when there not much of a wait..I bring a 100 and come out with 300 three times for playing for 9 hrs. My friends just left their hr ago. Three hr drive for me live in Iowa.Enjoy the tables they are a joke all the fish in the world/

I've been there twice, and the play is about the same up to 8/16, and then it starts changing. One thing I was kinda mad about was that they went from 8/16 straight up to 15/30... no 10/20 or anything in between. Don't play the stud, its slow as hell and the 2/4 has a .50 cent ante. The 2/4 games are lose as hell, but so is the 3/6 and 4/8. Really the 6/12 is a LITTLE different, but I would buy in for TWO racks at the 2/4, not one as theres alot of variance.

but I would buy in for TWO racks at the 2/4, not one as theres alot of variance.
two racks = $200?Is that all the money I'll need to bring, or should I bring more than that?Newb questions, I know. :club:
but I would buy in for TWO racks at the 2/4, not one as theres alot of variance.
two racks = $200?Is that all the money I'll need to bring, or should I bring more than that?Newb questions, I know. :club:
Yeah, 2/4 is played with $1 chips, so teo racks would be 200. I usually buy in for 2 racks no matter what the limit and it usually works out great.200 for 2/4, 200 for 4/8 , 400 for 6/12, 400 for 8/16, 1,000 for 15/30 etcI would BRING about 400, so if you go bust you can buy back in.
$ 1 chips two racks=200.By the way i enjoyed your Blog
Thanks.Anyone else that can offer advice here? The more opinions and advice I get, the better prepared I'll be.

Don't get caught up in the action and start playing too loose. Solid play is the key even though you are going to see everyone else playing like retards. Also don't tilt -- you are bound to take a beat or two, don't let it ruin your game. As an extension of that, don't overplay your strong starting hands (pocket pairs, etc.) if it seems like you might be beat. Save bets in those situations by slowing down and accepting the fact that people might draw out on you. I usually see someone who is upset because they just can't believe they were beaten by whatever random garbage hand. You have to adapt your play to these situations, not ignore it and then look for pity when your hand gets cracked. You probably already know all this from playing online, but being face to face with people and seeing these things happen in "real life" can sometimes effect you differently. Just keep it in mind while you are playing.

boo urns, I have a wedding to go to back home next weekend otherwise I'd head out there.
Bah. I would've loved to play with you. :x
Id love to head up there as well, but its an 8 hour drive from here in STL...plus hotel + gas which is about $2.30 / gal... :mad:
boo urns, I have a wedding to go to back home next weekend otherwise I'd head out there.
Bah. I would've loved to play with you. :x
Id love to head up there as well, but its an 8 hour drive from here in STL...plus hotel + gas which is about $2.30 / gal... :mad:
2.47 hereWell, at least there will be less good players there... :?
Alright, so it's looking like I'm gonna hit the Canterburry cardroom in Minnesota this friday and possibly saturday. I did a search on this and found that they spread down to 2/4, which is good considering that's what I'm playing right now. Any specials there I should know about?Also, this is going to be my first trip to a B&M cardroom, so if someone can hook me up with most of the basics, that'd be great. When do I tip the dealer? How much? Players are all loose, I assume. How much should I bring with me? To play 2/4, should I buy-in with 100 like I do online? More? Less?I should be arriving between 7:00 and 8:00pm on Friday night, if anyone wants to join me. Not sure if/when I'm going Saturday night - depends on what the family decides to do.Any and all help is appreciated. Don't worry about me taking your money - we all know I'm a fish. :club:
Welcome to MN...I'd suggest playing 3/6 - there will be plenty of opportunity to make money at that level but the rake won't hit you so hard. Its really hard to make anything at 2/4.Go to the big whiteboard straight ahead (but facing left) as you enter - you'll see the ropes etc. Tell them your name and what you want to play. They will announce your seat over the PA after its avaialble. Friday evening it may be 1/2 hour or so until you get a seat - they can give you an idea when you sign up. Just say "Custom36 for 3/6 hold'em" they'll put you on the list. When they call you, go to the table number you're directed to, (any dealer or floor can direct you) take your seat - if there is more than one you can choose. Ask for checks and service, the dealer will call for them, give the chip runner your money (really its ok) and they will fetch you chips - for 2/4 or 3/6 I'd suggest $100 - they will bring you a rack of 100 blue chips. Give one of the chips to the chip runner. (NOTE - you can't play out of the racks at CB.) When the waitress shows up, order your drink - she'll probably have soft drinks with her. At CB alchohol is not free but soft drinks are. Tip the waitress a chip each time she brings you something. Really - tipping is not optional in B&M. Don't want to tip? Play on line. The dealer will ask you if you want to post or wait for your blind. Unless you just missed it - just wait for it. Do not put chips in the pot. Put them infront of you away from your hands. The dealer will drag them to the pot. Do not drag the pot if you win - the dealer will push them to you, don't touch them first. Protect your hand. Put a chip on it, if its laying there its liable to get mucked. Declare your intent. Say, "Check" "Bet" or "Raise" in a loud clear voice, its binding so say what you mean. After you get the hang of it you can start tossing around chips ;-) better to start simple. When a hand is over, turn your hand over at showdown. This isn't the wpt. Often you (well me) can't see the other guys hand - don't slow up play demanding "what's he got?" Just show your hand and let the dealer tell you who won. Raises probably won't chase out many, bluffs probably won't work at those limits. When you drag a pot, toke the dealer - Some people don't if its a really small pot. Some people will tip more if its a big pot. I consistently toke one chip every pot except stolen blinds (which doesn't happen much at those limits either.) With the toke, the rake and tipping you can see how 2/4 is tough to beat - better to go 3/6 or even 4/8 if your BR can take it. At these higher limit games, tipping and toking don't change - a single blue chip ($1) is plenty. But they are a much smaller part of your winnings. Play extra tight your first few orbits till you get comfortable - it'd be rare for anyone to notice (don't worry about table image at those limits much)Good luck and have fun - I like to play there and I'm sure you'll have a good time - I'm working or I'd meet you there.

Buddah - that post should be stickied. ;)My father decided he wanted to go Friday night, so I'll probably only play 2/4 then. Depending on how I do, I may play 3/6 Saturday night. I've been on a moderate (~110BB's) downswing lately, so I'm a bit hesitant to go there. We'll see how the confidence goes. I do still have the bankroll for it.Thanks for the tipping advice. I would've never thought to tip the chip runner. I was going to tip the dealer and waitress. Do I just put the chip next to the dealer?Is 100 seriously enough at 3/6? Online I buy-in with 150; 100 just seems a bit low. I'm probably wrong though.

Oh! One last question I forgot:What should I wear? Everytime I see a trip report or hear someone complain about going, it's about the kid in the hat, hooded sweatshirt, and sunglasses. Should I bring those for the donk image or doesn't it matter?

its pretty cold in the poker room... so make sure you dress kinda warm. Just throw you tip to the dealer and they will take care of it. My advice is just to play tight and as long as you win an average amount of pots you will win for the session. Oh and 100 is fine for 3/6 there if you're a tight player.NUGGET

I love Canterbury Cardroom. Your going to really enjoy yourself. It takes me around 6 hours to get there from the chicago suburbs but when my friends and I make the trip its always a blast and the action is great. As some of the other posters have already recommended I suggest dressing kinda warm because its always been cold when I've been there. Nobody will notice or care about your outfit ... they just want your $$$ lol I dont know if anyone said it but they've got a bad beat jackpot w/qualifying hand Aces full of tens or better losing to quads. The jackpot is $100k from 2AM-5AM. Otherwise its usually around $25k-$50k somewhere. I tip $1 whenever i win a pot, and I usually play $6-12. If you get drinks or order some food tipping is the standard. Enjoy yourself and hopefully the cards will treat you well on your first trip there. Its a classy place with good dealers and a great atmosphere.