wsop coverage, who hates the commentary

If the WPT wasn't bad enough (minus mike sexton). How bad is ESPN?from arieh's edit/rant on his blog, to a10 being a called a monster hand...Am i just a jacka.ss? I mean, i know i'm a jackas.s, but isn't this coverage a bit embarrassing for everyone?Who wants it to be Mike Sexton and Phil Gordon (or Evelyn NG)this year for both WSOP and the WPT? Lets start a petition.

I really think that all poker commentary is subpar. The WPT is the best and even they p.iss me off sometimes. Like how every dumb play is "Oh Vince, you gotta give him credit for that bold play with a 5 high after the flop, just picked a bad time..." WSOP is even worse in how like you said, somebody picks up KJ in an 8 handed game and it's "And Juanda picks up Kojak, a monster hand..." God I wish they could talk about it without catering to the masses who can't comprehend pot odds.

I really think that all poker commentary is subpar. The WPT is the best and even they p.iss me off sometimes. Like how every dumb play is "Oh Vince, you gotta give him credit for that bold play with a 5 high after the flop, just picked a bad time..." WSOP is even worse in how like you said, somebody picks up KJ in an 8 handed game and it's "And Juanda picks up Kojak, a monster hand..." God I wish they could talk about it without catering to the masses who can't comprehend pot odds.
Sexton is good. But, god help me if he says, "Juanda is first to speak", once more.
You have answered your own complaint really.....This is because you know poker and they arent commentating for those who know poker. They are catering to the masses who dont know of pot odds, or gap theory, or that poor dental hygiene can lead to gingivitis.This is the same reason why year after year thousands of SERIOUS football fans bitch and moan to Dr. Z about how woeful the state of football announcing is.The more you know about a sport (activity, whatever you want to call poker) the more mainstream announcers are going to bother you.Call it the Canebrain Corollary.

You're never going to get solid commentary from amateurs (think Mike Sexton vs Joe Buck or Norman Chad vs Bob Costas). Poker is too young of a "TV sport" to have seasoned veterans calling the "action" and it's too boring most of the time to even call it action. The other thing is that most poker commentary is recorded after the fact, unlike any other sport where the announcers are calling it as they see it. I've said this before around here, Phil Gordon is the only dynamic personality doing commentary for any of the Poker shows. He's the perfect mix of Mike Sexton and Bob Costas, a guy who knows exactly what he's talking about and can relate to common people at the same time while putting on an entertaining show. He's the only reason I would ever watch Norm MacDonald take on Sara Rue heads up (don't correct me, it's just an example). 3 or 4 more guys like Phil Gordon and TV poker could really get interesting.

You have answered your own complaint really.....This is because you know poker and they arent commentating for those who know poker. They are catering to the masses who dont know of pot odds, or gap theory, or that poor dental hygiene can lead to gingivitis.This is the same reason why year after year thousands of SERIOUS football fans censored and moan to Dr. Z about how woeful the state of football announcing is.The more you know about a sport (activity, whatever you want to call poker) the more mainstream announcers are going to bother you.Call it the Canebrain Corollary.
I disagree. Apthough they are catering to masses, these guys doin't even know the game. Norman mis reads the board often and gives credit to the worng player most of the time (remeber john murphys boat against ariehs flush, gave no credit for the laydown, just where they pushed the chips.) And moneymakers 3's that knocked dutch boyd out?) I'm not even gonna start on vince thiking 9's are a monster. This is like john madden calling playing action blitz, or commending the offensive line when the qb gets sacked. Phil Gordon, i think, does an awesome job of falling the middle.
You have answered your own complaint really.....This is because you know poker and they arent commentating for those who know poker. They are catering to the masses who dont know of pot odds, or gap theory, or that poor dental hygiene can lead to gingivitis.This is the same reason why year after year thousands of SERIOUS football fans censored and moan to Dr. Z about how woeful the state of football announcing is.The more you know about a sport (activity, whatever you want to call poker) the more mainstream announcers are going to bother you.Call it the Canebrain Corollary.
I disagree. Apthough they are catering to masses, these guys doin't even know the game. Norman mis reads the board often and gives credit to the worng player most of the time (remeber john murphys boat against ariehs flush, gave no credit for the laydown, just where they pushed the chips.) And moneymakers 3's that knocked dutch boyd out?) I'm not even gonna start on vince thiking 9's are a monster. This is like john madden calling playing action blitz, or commending the offensive line when the qb gets sacked. Phil Gordon, i think, does an awesome job of falling the middle.
Well maybe the ESPN team is just terrible. My corollary was really meant to apply to a team like sexton and vince....they dont misread the board....they dont make any suicidal mistakes....they just annoy people with dumb comments....I dont know though....this is really something I have noticed a lot with sports fans....the really knowledgable ones are ALWAYS complaining about the announcing....maybe it doesnt translate to poker as well but I am sticking by my own corollary damnit
If the WPT wasn't bad enough (minus mike sexton). How bad is ESPN?from arieh's edit/rant on his blog, to a10 being a called a monster hand...Am i just a jacka.ss? I mean, i know i'm a jackas.s, but isn't this coverage a bit embarrassing for everyone?Who wants it to be Mike Sexton and Phil Gordon (or Evelyn NG)this year for both WSOP and the WPT? Lets start a petition.
I happen to think Norman Chad is quite entertaining. ESPN's WSOP coverage is far better than the WPT's Sexton & Van Patten.
If I hear another reference from Norman Chad about his ex-wife I think I might book a flight to Vegas and sucker punch him.
what about not folding the "ace of spades. the most beutiful card in the deck"lol

I'm going to look into this at the World Series. Probably do a piece on all the anti-commentator sites. I think Norman Chad has the lead over VPP. Make it funny and just insult the heck all over them etc. To balance it, I would highlight some of the excellent commentary done by Howard Lederer and even Gabe Kaplan (who is winning me over again). I'd like to see Daniel do more of it and I still haven't gotten around to watching the WPT DVDs.At first I thought this was about the new guy on Cardplayer.com who isn't as polished as Rich Belsky. (I can't believe I said someone wasn't as polsihed as Belsky! j.k.)Anyway, if any of you have stories or urls to share I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT. I offer good will and beers.

This being said, I think Norman Chad does a fine job. Not my cup of tea, but he does make me laugh and I like the fact that I can catch his mistakes.Also, Raymer did an excellent job I thought during his ESPN WSOP ME special. Of course, he's been doing "commentary" for years on 2+2.

I had the pleasure of meeting Lyle Berman a few months ago. He came into my store and I recognised him. I asked him when they were going to get rid of vince van patten. He just smiled. I'm sure he didn't want to comment. I let him know that vince is the worst part of watching the wpt. I told him that I made the mistake of telling my wife how annoying I find him. She says I ruined watching the wpt for her because now she notices what stupid comments Vince makes. I don't know how much say Mr. Berman has in the contracts and production side of the wpt, but it was so cool to talk to him.btw...he was buying stuff for his ranch in Telluride Colorado. Look at a map with highways and airports, and you will see how out of the way it is. My town is 1 hour away from Telluride. This is what really blew my mind about him walking into my store. It's not the most convienent place to visit.

I tend to agree with most the both the WPT and WSOP announcers are sub-par. My recommendation would be Gabe Kaplan, I thought he did an excellent job during the heads-up challenge on NBC. He seems to be very knowledgable of the game and is actually pretty funny, especially when he talks about Hellmuth.