I was just wondering what specifically is the beef with Phil Hellmuth and his book? I've heard his book trashed several times, and I'm not saying his book isn't deserving of it, I would just like a few people to give specific examples(and no, I don't mean exact quotes) of what is so bad about his book.

Probably the lack of specific examples. It's mianly a really vague idea telling you that tihgt aggressive works. No real concrete stuff. While SSHE gives tons of examples with pots and different cards and so on and really gives you a feel for things.

he really doesn't give overall much good advice. If you play the way he recomends you'll be playing too tight and will possibly eek out wins, but you won't crush the games for good money. You will also be relativly predictable and therefore easy to read for observant opponents. FInally, Phil certainly doesn't play the way he recomends and just made the book to cash in on his name

I was just wondering what specifically is the beef with Phil Hellmuth and his book? I've heard his book trashed several times, and I'm not saying his book isn't deserving of it, I would just like a few people to give specific examples(and no, I don't mean exact quotes) of what is so bad about his book.
I personally hated his own original poetry where he strokes his own cock."The Universe Conspired to Help Him Win."--Phil Hellmuth, Jr.

I bought it three months after I started playing poker. Like just about everyone, I thought I knew what I was doing. And, after two months of playing small stakes online, I was down. WAY down. I decided to quit poker. Then, I decided that a better idea would be to actually learn how to play.I bought Hellmuth's book and a Sklansky book. Both gathered dust for a month. The one I finally read first was Hellmuth. It was there I learned my most important poker lesson: If you aren't a good, experienced player, limit the amount of tough decisions you have to make. How do you limit them? By playing good starting cards.Simply by playing "Phil's Top 10 Hands", I turned it around. In 3 weeks, I won back everything I'd lost in 2 months. In the 18 months since, I've certainly learned more about the game. At least, I've learned enough to open my game up a bit, and trust myself to make proper decisions.Keep in mind, Phil's book is truly for beginners. There is very little theory. There is very little in-depth strategy. But, I can honestly say, if not for this book, I'd have been back to online chess.

Keep in mind, Phil's book is truly for beginners. There is very little theory. There is very little in-depth strategy. But, I can honestly say, if not for this book, I'd have been back to online chess.
Yes, I'll definitely agree that Hellmuth's book is simplistic.If you had that much success with Hellmuth's book... I guarantee if you read and apply David Sklansky's Small Stakes Hold'em, you'll learn everything you need to know to absolutely crush low stakes limit games online.
Keep in mind, Phil's book is truly for beginners. There is very little theory. There is very little in-depth strategy. But, I can honestly say, if not for this book, I'd have been back to online chess.
Yes, I'll definitely agree that Hellmuth's book is simplistic.If you had that much success with Hellmuth's book... I guarantee if you read and apply David Sklansky's Small Stakes Hold'em, you'll learn everything you need to know to absolutely crush low stakes limit games online.
You are right. Two months later, I read Sklansky's book, and got much, much more from it. Helped my game immensly. However, I really don't know what would have happened had I read it first.

and we want beginners reading sshe why? id much rather them read phils book and think they know how to play than to read sshe and actually know how to play. Id recommend hellmuths book to anybody haha

Essentially, he teaches you how play a very tight, but overly aggressive game. It may work in tourneys, but in a cash game, and this is from daniel, you'll get killed.He doesnt go indepth into plays, his advice is very basic. The one thing he does is basically tell you to catergorize your opponents(weak, tight, loose, etc).

If you are a beginning player, Phil's book isn't that bad. Not the best by any means but worth a look. It is not for the player who has been playing for years and "knows what the deal is". I read it because I was curious and it was free. :wink: I don't have a what I would call a plethora of poker books; nor a myriad assortment. I would say I have the standard 6 or 7 or so that I have accumulated over the years. 8) For me SS1 and SS2 are more to my liking. I have not as of yet read Dan Harrington's NL boobs, but I will soon. :wink: