magic the gathering

Cardplayer.com had a segment about alot of "Magic" players making the succesful switch to poker. I used to play that game when I was younger, is their any other "magic" players here? What were some good decks you had?

Magic was expensive. I used to play, but spent most of my time being a certified judge for magic and other ccg's (collectible card games). It's been about 4 years since I played/collected the cards and the savings on my pocketbook was great. But I got married and that turned out to be a much more expensive hobby.I knew a kid who was a very good Magic player that moved to Vegas to play poker as soon as he was 21. The only thing I have heard about him since was that he was looking for backers, that he had gone bust.There are some skills both games share, like reading the other player and knowing when and how to make a successful bluff, but I don't think being good in Magic necessarily equates to being good in poker. I think that most of the Magic turned poker players focused on poker to become better at poker. And only a few, like David Williams to name one, will become a good pro poker player.That's just my 2 chips worth.

Cardplayer.com had a segment about alot of "Magic" players making the succesful switch to poker. I used to play that game when I was younger, is their any other "magic" players here? What were some good decks you had?
Haha, I used to play. Great game with many layers of strategy.Best deck I ever played (and I played a lot of them) was a deck my buddy and I constructed to beat the field during the time when Urza's series and Mercadian Masques, Nemesis, etc. were type II legal. It was a blue bounce deck that used tangle wire, hoodwink, boomerang etc as well as kill cards of ankh of mishra/parallax tide and morphling.It basically kept even the fastest decks at 1 available mana for the first 5-6 turns while you setup, then you shut them down with the ankh/tide combo or beat them down with morphling. Against weenie decks you brought in Gilded drake to steal whatever they played.It was the first time i've ever had somebody spike their cards on the table in frustration during a tournament. My buddy and I ran the same deck at a tournament and our only losses in any match (they were all 2-0) came when we had to face each other in one of the rounds.It's not a very fun deck to play against, and I spiked many decks while I playtested against it. Haha, damn that game was addicting....and more expensive than poker.- alex

Lol I used to play all the time in Dallas. Its a good amount of money and there is no real return. Ravager affinity rules! Me and my friends played David williams on several occassions but I havent seen him in a while since I went to college. He was a "professional" magic player too, though winning the world event was like 30,000 or something sad. The fact that he got second is actually why we started playing poker, forget moneymaker and raymer.

heh, back in middle school (the days of the revised edition and fallen empires), i used to play magic all the time. we actually got the cards banned from our middle school because we'd play at lunch and some fundamentalist teachers found the black cards "satanic" (wiccan prayers were also banned, thank you southwest virginia idiocy!).anyway, i used to play a lot, winning a few tournaments with the generic black/red deck of lighning bolts, chain lightning, drain life, and will o' the wisp.my favorite deck, however, which was VERY successful, surprisingly, was a deck that won by making the opponent run out of cards. seriously. it was green/blue, with lots of counter spells, streams of life, destroy permanent cards, and cheap thallid-type creatures (sac a thallid, gain 2 life, etc.), but the kicker was the millstones (take top two cards of your opponent's library and put them in the graveyard). before they knew what was hitting them, i was making them take 6-10 cards out of their library every hand, and they couldn't get at me since i was gaining so much life. wicked fun.i think i still have my cards in my parents' basement somewhere. this thread might make me get em out when i go there next week.

I played for a long long time. I'm only sixteen so a long long time equates to 5 or so years. I started playing young when revised came out, and played up until urza block finished. After a pretty long hiatus i started playing again around the beginning of onslaught block. My favorite deck was a reanimator deck. If you dont know what that is then oh well, because it's alot more work than its worth to explain it. I sold all my cards for a good chunk of change and had some fun with the profits though. 8) No more cards for me. Although, if anyone is getting rid of cards and doesnt have the time to worry about ebaying them, i'd be glad to buy the set off you and worry about the cards. just PM me or IM me if thats the case.

I used to play this in high school since the Arabian Night Days. It was fun but this game was so damn expensive! Decks I played with were Mahomati Djinn Clone Doppleganger, Maro Geddon, Buried Alive, Counter Post, Land Destruction, and Necro deck those were fun. Poker is way better at least you can bluff and wear shades to look cool. I'll counter by reraising! :wink:

I used to play competively last year. This was before I discovered poker.I had my composite DCI rating up to about 2000 last year and managed to qualify for both Nationals and Worlds. Unfortunately, I was unable to go to either of them.I also narrowly missed day 2 of a Grand Prix by losing game 3 of the last round of day 1 to a very lucky card my opponent had. Yes this is a boring bad beat story but when you waste an entire weekend of driving and playing it can kind of make you lose interest.MTG is fun and it takes a lot of skill but it simply is not profitable unless you get lucky and make the pro tour. Even then its a huge time investment to playtest against a field you can only "hope" to face.I still love magic and I think its 10x funner than playing poker but there is no sense in playing it when poker is this popular and profitable.

David Williams was a nationally recognized Magic player, whatever that means....I have never played so I do not know the intricacies of it....but one of my friends was in some kind of a Magic ring with David in the years before he became a poker pro. Game still makes no sense to me, too complicated for my blood...

I used to play competively last year. This was before I discovered poker.I had my composite DCI rating up to about 2000 last year and managed to qualify for both Nationals and Worlds. Unfortunately, I was unable to go to either of them.I also narrowly missed day 2 of a Grand Prix by losing game 3 of the last round of day 1 to a very lucky card my opponent had. Yes this is a boring bad beat story but when you waste an entire weekend of driving and playing it can kind of make you lose interest.MTG is fun and it takes a lot of skill but it simply is not profitable unless you get lucky and make the pro tour. Even then its a huge time investment to playtest against a field you can only "hope" to face.I still love magic and I think its 10x funner than playing poker but there is no sense in playing it when poker is this popular and profitable.
2000 composite??? HOLY ****!!my limited rating is like 1820, and i consider myself to be hella good. but 2k composite, thats ridiculous. do you think umezawa's jitte is the best limited card ever made? i do.
my limited rating is like 1820, and i consider myself to be hella good. but 2k composite, thats ridiculous. do you think umezawa's jitte is the best limited card ever made? i do.
I couldn't tell you. I quit during Champions of Kamigawa. With my currrent knowledge I would say loxodon warhammer. If you don't have artifact removal and that comes down you lose almost instantly.