when to quit a day when you're stuck?

What do you do on those days that you're stuck?I play hours, as advised in one of Daniel's early articles in cardplayer, but sometimes find myself stuck early in the session. When looking at my records, I've noticed that I've had a few semi-catastropic sessions. I wonder if it wouldn't be best to have a stop loss to control these nightmare sessions. Say 30BB. Your thoughts?

I don't think it's possible to stop when down 30 BB's. I'll lose that in 30 mins sometimes. Play the hours, not the results, but at the same time if your stuck huge and playing to win your money back, it's best to stop. What I do when I'm stuck big is I try to get a lil run going and end the session on a positive note, so I can at least say well I was stuck 1500 earlier, but I ended up losing $1000 instead, so it could have been worst. It's just a mental thing I guess, but it helps me. I always try to end a session on a positive note.Playing well when your losing money is probably the most difficult thing to do. Just remember that money not lost is the same as money won. Needless to say, I had one of these sessions today and wow was it horrible. I was stuck about $1000 earlier and managed to get it down to a $300 loss, so it wasn't too bad. I had Aces cracked by AK 3 times in 1 session, I think that's a freak of nature to happen. I also ran into set over set 2 or 3 times as well. The point is your going to lose money some hands no matter what you do, but if your able to lose less on that hand than you should have, then you've done your job.

I don't think it's possible to stop when down 30 BB's. I'll lose that in 30 mins sometimes. Play the hours, not the results, but at the same time if your stuck huge and playing to win your money back, it's best to stop. What I do when I'm stuck big is I try to get a lil run going and end the session on a positive note, so I can at least say well I was stuck 1500 earlier, but I ended up losing $1000 instead, so it could have been worst. It's just a mental thing I guess, but it helps me. I always try to end a session on a positive note.Playing well when your losing money is probably the most difficult thing to do. Just remember that money not lost is the same as money won. Needless to say, I had one of these sessions today and wow was it horrible. I was stuck about $1000 earlier and managed to get it down to a $300 loss, so it wasn't too bad. I had Aces cracked by AK 3 times in 1 session, I think that's a freak of nature to happen. I also ran into set over set 2 or 3 times as well. The point is your going to lose money some hands no matter what you do, but if your able to lose less on that hand than you should have, then you've done your job.

Leave when down 30 BB? Not me mang Okay... What's going on here? I can drop that in 2 hands... Maybe like 200bb? I hate quitting when I'm down, I'll take a break, make sure I'm not playing wrong, and get back with a vengence sometimes I play my best poker after getting stuck a bunch.

Leave when down 30 BB?  Not me mang  Okay...   What's going on here?  I can drop that in 2 hands...  Maybe like 200bb?  I hate quitting when I'm down, I'll take a break, make sure I'm not playing wrong, and get back with a vengence sometimes I play my best poker after getting stuck a bunch.
lol...that is pretty comical when I think about it. That might have me quitting a lot of sessions. It does always feel good to get back after being stuck a bunch.

The past two days, I've gotten stuck pretty big early...two to three max buy-ins playing NL and PL. I've finished up a bit both days by battling back. If I'd left that far down, I'd be somewhat depressed.

I wouldn't quit a session down 30BB, but if I'm down 30BB on a particular table, I'll quit that table and bring up another. If you know you can win at this level you need to keep grinding. (obviously talking about multi-ing online)Lederer gave the 30BB advice to the 'ever charming' Annie when she was starting out limit - quit a table if you go down 30BB. I think its pretty good advice. It might just be bad luck, but it might not.

I don't worry too much about being stuck in a given session. If I had to keep playing until I was even all the time, then poker time would expand indefinitely. Lately, I've been setting goals, like clearing X amount of bonus per session, and then quitting when I've met that goal.

i usually only get small chunks of time to play so i usually only quit a session if im tilting. even then it might just be an hour break and then back to it. lately i've been working on playing through the variance down swings without it disrupting my play or emotional state. i've found that i now have less losing sessions because i don't automatically have to quit after being sucked out a few times.the other thing i always think about is that im a winning player over time, so it doesn't matter how much im winning or losing in a particular moment. the more time i spend playing the more likely im going to come out on the positive.