The Kessel Run (Into Toronto)

Kessel's Return  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Does Phil Kessel Get Booed or Cheered On Saturday?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if this is true, makes me wonder what Phil did last year to deserve this kind of action from Shanahan. Maybe there's more to the story. Or are we supposed to think Shanahan is just doing this because

Im very proud of appearing in possibly the worst major motion picture ever made. It was in theatres exactly one day. It's awful. I have a copy. Also, for Phil's new house, I got him as a housewarming

Booed but should be cheered.   Shocked Phil hasn't contacted me about a ticket for the game, since we are such good friends after hanging out once. Lol

I always believe you.

But isnt it possible it was some other actions of PK's that Shanny does not like? Just because their conversations were civil, doesnt mean other actions of Phils, maybe towards the staff or the fans or teammates, rubbed Shanny the wrong way? Or maybe he heard something from the staff he didnt like?

Hey, I'm just grasping at possibilities, because something doesnt add up for me. I think even you said you didnt understand why Shanahan would act this way.

Now that's probably in my mind the closest to the truth. I think, possibly because the team was going bad and, as a boss, there has to be accountability, then Phil was the person he decided was most responsible. Again, I get that, and that's fair. I get shipping him out. I just don't like the petty stuff. Telling the leafs in Pitt that they weren't allowed to talk to phil. That kind of thing. What does that do? But yes... I agree that he decided he didn't like phil. And that's fair.

Perhaps Shanahan thinks Kessel quit on the team. Something tells me he doesn't have much time for quitters.

Pure speculation...

i am fairly certain I'm one of 12 people that isn't on the team or covering the team that watched 95 percent of the messy second half.

We can spin it all we want but there were a handful of players that quit on their teammates and most importantly the fans. Kessel wasn't the only one but he was the only one that they figured they get something for. Bozak has no value, nor does Lupul. Jvr and Kadri have enough positive qualities to be saved.

It's obvious by the return we got that most NHL Gms didn't want Kessel either. I understand no trade clauses and lists but the return showed that there wasn't a bidding war.

There is three sides to every story. There is Phil's(that Chris obviously is articulating), there is Shannys and then there is the actual story.

When Kessel got traded to Pitts , people salivated that he would score 50 goals playing with Crosby. Well that lasted 7 games before they broke them up. Things are never as they are assumed to be. Kessel is a very good goal scorer.

But that's not enough for Shanahan. Because when there is no scoring, it's ugly.

• Like 1

Are you saying the Leafs didn't get a fair return for Kessel?

I'm saying we could of got tons more before the debacle.

Maybe. I don't know. You got the Pens best F prospect and probably 2nd best D prospect. Probably a 1sr round pick too, right?

I guess so. I was hoping for a bit more.

Why is "Pens best prospect" or "Pens 2nd best D" a thing?

Who cares if its their best, Id rather have Edmonton/Detroits 5th then some other teams best.

for some reason, Phil didnt return what you would expect a 35goal scorer with a good contract (thanks to Leafs giving $), to get you in a deal.

Well you're right, that ranking is relative, but Kapanen is a very good prospect, and so is Scott Harrington.

I wonder if there have been many comparable trades lately... Let's see...

Jeff Carter was traded twice. Once for Voracek, 1st (Couturier), 3rd (Cousins), then again for Jack Johnson and a conditional 1st.

I think you'd take the Voracek package over Pittsburgh's here, but I wonder if that would have been the case before knowing what Voracek would turn into. He hadn't broken out yet when he was dealt. I think you take the Pittsburgh package by a mile over Jack Johnson and a 1st, though.

James Neal could be another comparable. Traded twice as well. The first time was (along with Matt Niskanen) for Alex Goligoskin and the second was for Patric Hornqvist and NIck Spaling (who also happened to be a throw-in in the Kessel trade).

Neal's trades were different circumstances, and one was highway robbery, so I'm not sure how much they apply.

Can you think of any other non-deadline/rental type scoring forwards who were traded? Especially if it's heavily for futures.