2015 Draft, Free Agency, Summer Trades

Penguins trade Nick Spaling, Kasperi Kapanen, 1st rounder and another pick to Leafs for Phil Kessel and 2 other contracts, Leafs eat 1.2M...

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From warming the bench in the A to a 6-year deal for Devan. Amazing story. Congrats.

Burke calls Boston. "I hate offer sheets. Dont make me do it. Im going to give him 7million a year. How about I just give you a first, and 2 seconds, instead of #1,#2,#3. I did this with you guys+Ke

lol, Tim Murray didn't waste any time I love it. Is he on Mushrooms

might be obvious, but If I was running the Leafs/Canes (rebuilding teams), I would just sit back today and wait for guys who are bargains, especially on 1 year deals. I would sign guys with some upside, who may benefit from extra ice time, play them a ton, and then trade them for high picks at the deadline or earlier. ie what guys like Sekera/Franson/Vermette got last year.

might be obvious, but If I was running the Leafs/Canes (rebuilding teams), I would just sit back today and wait for guys who are bargains, especially on 1 year deals. I would sign guys with some upside, who may benefit from extra ice time, play them a ton, and then trade them for high picks at the deadline or earlier. ie what guys like Sekera/Franson/Vermette got last year.

Leafs got two players like that already. Good risk/reward moves

this really isnt a troll post, not trying to be a dick, but listening to JR talk about Kessel, it sounded like exactly the same words I heard a few years ago...

Hey JR, knock on _____________ is that he doesnt play a full game, or work as hard as he should. What say you?

"we did our homework. we're aware of all the pluses and minuses. Its hard to find a player like this. Hard to score goals in this league, if you see a guy who can score 30, you get him."

That is is how the Canes got to the point of buying out Semin today.

You think they're similar players? I'd buy it.

I actually do not, I think Kessel >> Semin, but JR just sounded exactly the same, I recalled how he kept saying he did "his homework" on Semin, and asked around about him, and was convinced he would work hard.

Im more unsure about the hockey fit of Kessel playing with Crosby/Malkin than anything else. I think PK will play well.

Did I miss something or does it seem like there were not really any huge overpayments or anything yesterday.

Maybe they're getting smarter. Maybe the weak UFA class this year had something to do with it.

Maybe they're getting smarter. Maybe the weak UFA class this year had something to do with it.

Definetely weak UFA class.

Yep, Parenteau and Winnik are perfect rebuild guys, IMO.

The return for Kessel is a bit stinky of course, and would've gotten much more at the deadline (even ignoring his crappy second half). Beginning of FA is the worst time to make a trade like this, with so many other guys available and teams trying to stay flexible, and the middling return shows it. But but but, I applaud Shanny and co. for making the deal that was obviously right for a rebuilding team, even if it meant selling when the price was low. I think that the Jays teams have suffered because AA has been unwilling to pay a little extra for guys at times, not wanting to 'overpay' even if that player's value was actually very high to his team (like a backup infielder!) Players have very different values to teams at different times - the analytics movement (more so in baseball than hockey) seems to underplay this aspect - most of the time mainstream commentary references analytics they refer to a guy's value, and ignore how much of an upgrade he is over the existing options at that position for his team, and ignore how much an upgrade is actually meaningful, relative to a team who is borderline.

Yep, Parenteau and Winnik are perfect rebuild guys, IMO.

The return for Kessel is a bit stinky of course, and would've gotten much more at the deadline (even ignoring his crappy second half). Beginning of FA is the worst time to make a trade like this, with so many other guys available and teams trying to stay flexible, and the middling return shows it. But but but, I applaud Shanny and co. for making the deal that was obviously right for a rebuilding team, even if it meant selling when the price was low. I think that the Jays teams have suffered because AA has been unwilling to pay a little extra for guys at times, not wanting to 'overpay' even if that player's value was actually very high to his team (like a backup infielder!) Players have very different values to teams at different times - the analytics movement (more so in baseball than hockey) seems to underplay this aspect - most of the time mainstream commentary references analytics they refer to a guy's value, and ignore how much of an upgrade he is over the existing options at that position for his team, and ignore how much an upgrade is actually meaningful, relative to a team who is borderline.

I think you are wrong. In the cap world it's easier to make a trade in the off season. Also the $4 million bonus paid on July 1 was a factor IMO

I think you are wrong. In the cap world it's easier to make a trade in the off season. Also the $4 million bonus paid on July 1 was a factor IMO

Serge is correct and Danny is wrong. In season the Pens would have had to send the Leafs back equal contracts for example. Not that easy to do in most cases.

Plus the player controls where they are going through their NMC's to a large extent

Serge is correct and Danny is wrong. In season the Pens would have had to send the Leafs back equal contracts for example. Not that easy to do in most cases.

Plus the player controls where they are going through their NMC's to a large extent

I didn't say it was easier/harder to trade now, I said the return would be better. While that is related to how easy it is to trade someone to be sure, it's only one of many factors. That teams have more flexibility now has a lot of negative effects on potential returns.